What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

what were bongs like way back when?

crazybear

First off you could call it a bong and not get thrown out, bongs had carburetors ( a hole) instead of having to pull out the bowl!
I had a ceramic one with tubes that went to the upper water chamber!!

Skip

Veteran
I see it also covers a double bubbler system (see figure 2 in the patent). I doubt they can ever enforce this patent as in many areas of the US bongs are illegal. Even mentioning the word "bong" was trouble at one point.

My first "bong" was the cardboard towel roll with tin foil. I had to make one a few years ago when I had nothing else at hand...

Is it me, or do all the air bubbles in figure 2 (the double-bubbler) appear to be very stoned smilies?

patents

Last edited:

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran
picture.php

picture.php

My buddy and I drove around with this thing in his car for
years back in the 80's. Can't believe it survived.

putrid retch

The 1st bong I toked out of was a bamboo 1...& the 'bowl' was an inverted thimble with a hole punched in the top/bottom. The year was 1970 & I was living in Chicago at the time.
Of course, back then a 'lid' was $15 for Michoacan or Oaxacan...& $20 for Jamaican or Acapulco Gold. We didn't see much Hawaiian in Chi-town, but we did get some killer Thai-Sticks. :bongsmi:

ICMaggotMe

watch
The 1st bong I toked out of was a bamboo 1...& the 'bowl' was an inverted thimble with a hole punched in the top/bottom. The year was 1970 & I was living in Chicago at the time.
Of course, back then a 'lid' was $15 for Michoacan or Oaxacan...& $20 for Jamaican or Acapulco Gold. We didn't see much Hawaiian in Chi-town, but we did get some killer Thai-Sticks. :bongsmi:

What I wouldn't give for a zip full of seeds from the old school Mexican we used to smoke back then:woohoo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5Fq3U_FjYc

fallyn1980

lightbox

This is a steamroller made by Odyssey Glass in the 1970's. My mother bought it for my father and then they gave it to me. I would love to have more information on the pipe and the company, I have searched everywhere but no information. Can anyone help?

I

izzywozzywizzy

We had an eletric pipe from Amsterdam in 80s and it made a loud buzzing noise god knows what the fellow caravan campers in the dutch campsite thought We were doing all night hearing a buzzing noise ,they all use to look at us funny in the morning.buzz,buzz.

O

originalogrower

Izzy - I had the same pipe. I when I first watched cheech and chong nice dreams. Cop was smoking with the iguana then turned in to one. That pipe worked great and it was a smooth hit.

LubdaNugs

Veteran
I remember several acrylic bongs, the standout was a g-graphics. I remember how cool my first glass graphix bong was. It was red with a joker base. After that I got my first hand blown bong from a local artist, that was 17 years ago. The one that really jumps out was a homemade wiffle ball bat bong. It probably sticks out because of the spills we had with that thing. Not the same one, but you get the idea.

collegehumor.d59f17a3b51993d4865c3848d2af3cf7.jpg

url

BrownThumb

Gravity bongs were big w/ the crowd I hung with in the 80's... Bucket, gallon milk jug, bowl inserted in gallon jug lid...plenty of blackouts and pukes off of that... I took sick pleasure in seeing "tough guys" go down...LOL

Agaricus

My first bong hit was from a roommate's home made beast. PVC pipe column, a copper pipe stem through a hole in it and sealed with epoxy and a "store-boughten" bowl. Murderous.

I wish I still had the "red machine." Ii was a steamroller made from a plastic teletype paper roll, a piece of flat plastic glued on the end with a carburetor hole and the bottom cut flat so it didn't roll when set down, and some kind of fitting on the side that would hold a joint. Really just a fancy version of the TP roll and foil but we all loved that thing.

Jhhnn

Veteran
The first bong I ever saw was in 1968, and it was bamboo. There were a few hookahs around the dorm, too- big brass contraptions with detachable hoses, a serious pita. A long time toker buddy had a bong made from a chianti bottle, like this-

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumblarge_452/1257839077T5L60t.jpg

I never owned a bong until a couple of weeks ago when the wife brought one home. I was always more of a joint or small pipe w/ screen kinda guy. One of my buddies got raided back in the early 70's, but he was luckily out of dope at the time, so they busted him for the bong, instead. It was a light rap, but still a rap. They're kinda hard to hide, and I never was one to have open displays of doper-dom, anyway.

I've smoked dope in all kinds of contraptions, from beer cans w/ dimples & pocket knife holes to motorcycle cylinder heads to converted gas masks- even once from a shotgun barrel, which I found disconcerting, to say the least... I smoked anyway...

vinmanr2d2

I got my first bong in 1984 and i still have it ! i also have one from the 70's that an older buddy gave but these never see any use as i almost only smoke joints. but i do love my bongs ! nostalgia mostly!

oejack9

neat question I got my first bong in 1979,it was this big ass bright red ceramic monster.It was heavy almost impossible to clean and tasted like ass within the first month but for a 12 year old it was a big deal...my older brother bought it for me.My second was also bought for me by my brother in 1980 it was an acrylic grafix bong...2 chambers and bright purple not much of an improvment from my first one.In it's defence I do have to say it taught me a lesson about cleaning colored acrylic with rubbing alchohal...lol....from then on it's always been glass.

Grizz

Veteran
back in arizona in the early 70's a group of so called hippies set up shop making bongs out of steer horns or african horns from animals there, lead bottoms , iron wood bowls, compleatly polished and sealed, any where from 8in steer horn 50 $ up to 300 for the fancy african horns, never have seen them anywhere but there and that was 40 plus yrs ago. wish like hell i still had mine or at least a pic.