What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dried too fast then rehydrated

Pwyll

A friend completed a grow and gifted one of the larger buds. I was interested because she said she had harvested 9 oz but I saw the plants before harvest and would have estimated maybe 4-6. Bud was very heavy, broke it open and it appeared that a dry crust had formed around the outside of the bud but the inside was still moist and light green. Smelt kind of bad. After breaking it open it and airing it for 24 hours the bad smell is not so strong smell is a little chemical-ly but not that unusual

Evidently the bud had dried too much - down to 50 RH or so and then been brought back up to 62 using boveda packs.

My question is was that bad smell evidence of mould? Id so is it dangerous? I am kind of hesitant to tell her that she messed up as she's had bad luck with three or four grows before this one. But could smoking it be harmful?

WelderDan

Veteran
If it is moldy, you don't want to smoke it. Smoking moldy weed can cause a lot of health problems. That said, the smell may not be mold. If it has an earthy, hay like smell it's probably OK. If it has a funk to it, then no. I know it if I smell it, but describing it is difficult.

There was a member here who grew extensively outdoors and he didn't have a good place to dry quantity. He often ended up over drying, then re-hydrating in jars with a damp paper towel. So it is possible.

Gry

Any health issues I would toss it.
A few hours in bright sunlight might be a help.