What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Harvesting seeds

steve_reeves

Does anyone know how most breeders harvest seeds? Are some strains easier to harvest seeds from than others? I've read that many harvest seeds by plucking them out of the calyxes by hand or hitting them against a sieve, have you ever tried other methods like shaking them over a tarp or hitting them inside a trash can?

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
If it is seeds to donate to mountain growers, I'll just washing machine the buds and catch the majority of the seeds in the outflow and in the prefilter. The seeds left in the ice and plant slurry will get dried on big sheet of brown cardboard in front of a fan and shaken free till I have a seed plant mix. The chaff and infertile seed blows off easily and good seeds are only left. The seeds don't mind being dunked and washed in ice water and being quickly dried, at all. If i want to make some oil and the seed in the bud is for donating then I'll also sieve large sections and load my butane tube or do a qweto.

If the seed is for market I pick each one out as I smoke my way through the mother bud..That way I do quality control as I clean each section, each market pip is unscuffed or washed and I have jars and jars of free weed :) I am just an amateur but hope that helps.

B

Bag

squeeze a dry nug and seeds pop out all over the place, scrape into a pile with rolling paper book.

S

Sat X RB

when you have lots of seeded head and you want the seeds the universe will show you the way.

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
Hang your seeded buds until theyre bone dry. Crumble the bud and they just fall out after that.

You need a special key, a key only to be found in the microwave manual. You put it on 60ish power, Defrosting and Start. At the end you will hear a *pling*, that is your key to use.

:D

No really you can pluck, squeeze, gently tap it against stuff, they fallout by themselfes outdoors just by little windpuffs.

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Smoke the seeded bud, it really does bring out the most of the terpenes and high of a strain when it has had sex.

hayday

Veteran
Get a record album,preferably Cheech&Chongs Big Bamboo.Crumble the dried flowers on the opened album and sift with a pack of Zig Zag Wheatstraw papers.Roll the flowers into a joint pour the seeds into a film canister.Take a toke,hold the smoke and pass it down to me.
Oh wait,what year is it?

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
Get a record album,preferably Cheech&Chongs Big Bamboo.Crumble the dried flowers on the opened album and sift with a pack of Zig Zag Wheatstraw papers.Roll the flowers into a joint pour the seeds into a film canister.Take a toke,hold the smoke and pass it down to me.
Oh wait,what year is it?

It's not 1973, but I think your method may still be the best! :biggrin:

Look for a 5 1/2 slotted screen, maybe a 5 slot would work too.
Seeds won't fall through it but the ground bud will.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts