What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Moving to CA, looking for advice

MrGreenThumb

I'm looking to move out west in next year or two & have to get a plan in order, looking for advice from fellow growers in the CA area. I'm weighing the cost of living etc.. vs. my income & future income once I move out there. If I'm living in an apartment, or a rent house, studio, etc... what are my chances of finding a grow friendly landlord if I have a medical card ?

If the answer is I'd have to hide it in a grow cab, then my other alternative I'm considering is buying a new or used mobile home & paying lot rent, then at least I'd own my own, as I couldn't afford a house out there till I worked a few more years. Is this good / bad ? I know there are dispensaries, but I'm trying to avoid that if possible.

Thanks

G

If you have a medical card, you still have virtually no chance of finding a landlord who would knowingly accept that. Also, it depends on where in California, but socially marijuana is still taboo. But there isn't anything wrong with getting a medical card and growing without your landlord knowing, because if you get caught, the worst that could happen would you'd get evicted, but if you were growing under the legal limit then, no charges.

My opinion is you should just get the medical card and grow wherever you happen to live and hide it from everyone. You'll have no problems.

Just my 2 cents
:joint:

kilacaLIbud

i live in so cal like north of tijuana mexico...and rent is expensive...about 1000 for 1 bedroom house or 2 bed room apt...and that also depends on what area u live in.. as for med cards are easyer to get than a job....alot of ppl grow in the city and there are the most dispencerys right off the freeway..

G

I live in the same area kila does and as long as it's away from public eyes your pretty safe.
I really don't think a landlord could evict you for it. (I am sure he could find something though)
Worst case scenario, you get the cops called out--- and if you have a Rec. and your under your limit's, they tell you to have a nice day.
Rents insane here.
2b/1ba garage small yard 1300+ a month.
Same house for sale is mid 400,000's.

Also.
It seems the further inland you are, the more the cops fuck with you.
Stay near the coast.
Good Luck

Last edited:
Save your money...Move to Nor. Cal. :joint: Do not get me wrong, I was brought up in So. Cal. and visit there now more often than I would like to even think about :D I love So. Cal. but Kilacali. is right it is really, really pricey to live. If money is no worry, the population is enough to make you run to the north. Not to mention TRAFFIC, that really sucks! Legit also made a good point live down by one of the many beaches. Less likely to have any problems, lots more stoners and usually the cops have their hands full with the bar scene. Nor. Cal. is very relaxed, not as populated and some of the finest herb around comes from these areas. Everybody here is pretty much herb-friendly, even if its not their cup o' tea. Living expenses are much better here...So. Cal.....Land with your feet running and a good hustle, Nor.Cal....Bring your bong and your clippers :yummy: Make no mistake, all of Cali. is breathtaking, you just gotta check it out and find your spot. :wave:
Thats my :2cents: Peace, HH

:smoweed:

MrGreenThumb

Thanks for the advice, another question: What about employers/drug testing & having a medical mj card, is it much of a problem ? big companies or small companies, if they're not defence contractors etc... is there a simple way to find which companies are good/bad in this regard ? I've been job searching online & a few do state drug testing up front, but alot say nothing about it.

G

Oregon is fighting that battle now.
Employer's still have the right to fire/not hire you.
ALOT of companies are shying away from drug testing.
I read somewhere it's like only 50% or so, that actually test. (although they threaten)

G

man i live in los angeles in the sfv and man shit is expensive here. i pay 1650 for a 2+2 house and man it aint bad expecially were i live but dude be ready to shelve out some cash and as for growing man sooooo many people here grow and smoke it is still taboo but its also more excepted here in la i guess.. my last house i swear 3 or 4 people on my block were growing. i know this cause i found a few of their hortliux bulb boxes after they flew out fo the trash. so a lot of people smoke and grow in cali just do it legal and like i said have a good job to pay rent oh and gas cause nothing is close around here.

swerve

OXOSSI

ca

ca

Why? California? Lived 3 years in LA and wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I would have to agree with humbolt high, go north. LA - smog, crime, neurotic population, and soon the big one is coming (earthquake + tcunami) and nothing will be left of dababylon.

Now I must admit that there are some beautiful places just outside of the town, if u can live there - its a different story, good luck! :joint:

MrGreenThumb

Visited 2 times as a kid, has always been one of those "maybe someday" dreams & after 1995 the medical mj laws being enacted, etc... I don't want to be in LA anyway, & with the cost of living etc.... hopefully will find a good place in northern CA. It's just a matter of planning, will take a considerable amount of planning & saving, but maybe within the next year or two at most.

G

Thanks for the advice, another question: What about employers/drug testing & having a medical mj card, is it much of a problem ? big companies or small companies, if they're not defence contractors etc... is there a simple way to find which companies are good/bad in this regard ? I've been job searching online & a few do state drug testing up front, but alot say nothing about it.

On that issue I'd suggest keeping it real. Get something in line with your lifestyle. There are so many jobs that don't condone that bullshit. Remember if you're working for a company that discriminates against your medicine, by working there you are supporting this ridiculous practice.

The retarded secretary at my Medical Marijuana Doctor faxed my script by accident to my work fax. Guess what, half the office was clowning on me the next day. So, I emailed a letter to the Human Resources Manager, on how I felt that my rights were violated, and medical history was disclosed to everyone by the "Controller" of the company none the less. She was fired, and my script is on file in my records. I love Cali and my boss!!!

SoCal is very expensive (NorCal too WTF, go check SF prices!) , but again, I am not afraid of going to jail for under 24 plants, I have over 20 clubs in a 30 mile radius, everyone grows, and the weather is the finest. Long ass growing season. People are tolerant and traffic does suck, oh well, 30 minutes wherever you want to go.

One thing is true - LA sucks, go SOUTH or North. Cali bud Rocks!

G

Cali as a grower is paradise. asside from the juice rates and rent you can pretty much live your hobby if you are legal. its quite refreshing to know your legit and able to do what you love.

Orange county is probobly the most hostile region for growing and the most expensive to cut rent but more people smoke here than the rest of the " community" would like to awknowledge (sp?)

Cheeba

Living and growing in CA.

Housing market is $$$, we only get 91 octane gas, pay 22 cents kwh and we have the TERMINATOR as governor.

HAHA!!!

....wait

G

...yah i wish i could laugh.

there are afordable regions...althogh most of them carry stigmas. gangs horendous heat.. bad traffic. All in all..pretty sweet as long as your dont watch the news..

G

well my two cents is stay as far away from santa clara county you know slicon valley dot com dot bust the prices still have not come down but it's not a bad place thats for sure.as a wise man once said "go north my good man go north"
as allways

see ya soon

GIO

you cali. guys lucky...med.grow cards....next they gonna give you guys a get outta jail free card too..lol

G

Find a good job and work your ass off, dont go to work stoned and get your grow up. Find a couple very reliable freinds that sell and offer them better product at lower price to subsidize your groceries/entertainment but dont go getting flashy. Have fun.

MrGreenThumb

Thanks for the advice to all, it's gonna take me at least a year to two to get ready to move, maybe more, I have to fix up a house to rent out before I move & save up enough to live on for 6 months before I can make the jump. In the mean time gonna do what I can locally for the pro medical mj organizations in my state & hope they make some progress before I move, but I'm not waiting forever.

G

I honestly suggest saving money for a big downpayemnt on a house and having a job lined up.

A liveable house in a liveable neighborhood is gonna cost you 200-500 grand in cali.

jexter71

Nor Cal is your best bet. By oregon border. I have 2000 sq ft home garage the works for $750. No body lives here and everytrhing is far away... but it is worth the price....and privacy.