What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Functional Cannabis Strains

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Know a strain that helps you medically without getting you high or stoned? Please post how it works for you. Please include as much information as you can safely give. Thank you.

STRAIN
Canna-Tsu
Cross of Cannatonic and Sour Tsunami
Available in a few places in seed form. Originally from Davillian from Elite Genetics. The seed line has variations.
The specific clone only cut I have does not inebriate, at least not that I'm able to tell. Personally, I've not been able to feel even a tiny buzz, regardless of how much I use. Have been told it's been tested at 20% CBD, 9%THC.

MEDICAL USES

It works very well for a variety of issues. Excellent for controlling moods and anxiety, inflammation and pain. Muscle relaxant.

SIDE EFFECTS
Increased memory. Increased focus and brain function. (Seriously)

This strain may not be perfect for me, however it's definitely the best fit I've come across so far. :) I spent a year using her almost exclusively and I've never performed as well as a human. It's now been a year since I've been able to grow her out and I miss the functionality.

I've used cannabis, nearly daily, for 30+ years and that was the most amazing experience. A lot like cruising freeways at 80mph forever and suddenly having a windshield for a short while. I'm back to using cannabis which knocks me around and it's a downer.

Who knows of another strain which is 'functional,' and please, what does it do for you?

Thank you :D

Last edited:
Their is reportedly a pheno of chimeras hawian spice that has been called focus weed.

But I have also found those qualities in genius pheno of apollo 11.

Douglas.Curtis

Interesting. Was a high or stone associated with those?

I definitely get more focus with this cut of Canna-Tsu. The kind of focus you need to explain a complicated subject to someone not so bright, with multiple side tangents, and never losing your train of thought. Very functional.

Almost like cheating when used before sports. ;)

Interesting. Was a high or stone associated with those?

I definitely get more focus with this cut of Canna-Tsu. The kind of focus you need to explain a complicated subject to someone not so bright, with multiple side tangents, and never losing your train of thought. Very functional.

Almost like cheating when used before sports. ;)

That's what I have been seeking!!

Is this a common cut or one off pheno from seed you are referencing.

With the apollo 11 I felt smarter and I was definately high. It would not hinder studying or math with the pheno I tried cut at that flowering time.

The apollo 11 was a high and it tapered off smoothly it was slightly energy enhancing but no anxiety or paranoia.

I've tried other strains that were definately more insightful but I would tend to get lost in tangents myself much less explain them.

That can a tsu seems near perfect from the way you describe it.

Douglas.Curtis

She's definitely an improvement. :) I ran Harlequin for a bit, first experience with high CBD strains. She has a back end buzz I don't like and much less focus. Great for pain and staying functional, I have to say.

Would love to make some S1s of the Canna-Tsu and look for something even better, possibly stabilize it over a few years. Dreams of the future though, can't even grow where I'm at now. lol

Muleskinner

Veteran
Cinderalla99 is definitely my favorite daytime/work weed, for its energetic & happy sativa high.

Cannatonic is another good daytime one, but CBD tends to make me groggy. Sativas are what you want for focusing/thinking/energy IMO.

Cinderalla99 is definitely my favorite daytime/work weed, for its energetic & happy sativa high.

Cannatonic is another good daytime one, but CBD tends to make me groggy. Sativas are what you want for focusing/thinking/energy IMO.

I am not sure if you have tried pure sativa and that is your reference for your sativas is what he wants statement. What you do reference in your post is a hybrid though.

Most hybrid sativa types I have tried would not fit the description of the profile he is looking for as I understand it.

It might be more prevalent in pure sativa but I don't have much experience there.

In the world of hybrids I think it is going to be more strain and even pheno dependent with other variables including harvest time and time cured. Blanket statements of sativa this or that applied to hybrids tends to confuse matters because they are not sativa they are hybrids

Douglas.Curtis

I remember reading once about the original C-99 being tested and having 14/14 CBD/THC. I too found it to be very fu ctional cannabis, though definitely producing a clear high.

Personally, I've used/grown sativa hybrids almost exclusively. Since I medicate for pain, siezures, strokes and autism, I've focused on strains which allow me to participate in life. These have been strains which produce a high.

The new CBD rich strains are also mostly inebriating. A lot are heavier indicas. There's a common misconception that THC breaks down into CBD when harvested later. Not only is this incorrect, it leads to very sleepy cannabis from the CBN being produced. I'm sure you'll find heavy CBD strains to be very non-sleepy, when harvested at peak ripeness.

Californee is correct about phenotype and terpene differences. There are other phenos of Canna-Tsu which are inebriating. Look at all of the strains with 14% CBD and 9%THC and you'll find all kinds of inebriation in Indicas, Sativas and Hybrids alike.

I feel safe in saying there are more functional strains of sativa and sativa dominant hybrids than indicas by far. Though the vast majority still have some level of inebriation. It's truly amazing when you begin to experience higher levels of health and functionality, while not having any inebriation to get adjusted to and compensate for. Removes a significant amount of mental overhead. :D

Junk

I remember reading once about the original C-99 being tested and having 14/14 CBD/THC. I too found it to be very fu ctional cannabis, though definitely producing a clear high.

Personally, I've used/grown sativa hybrids almost exclusively. Since I medicate for pain, siezures, strokes and autism, I've focused on strains which allow me to participate in life. These have been strains which produce a high.

The new CBD rich strains are also mostly inebriating. A lot are heavier indicas. There's a common misconception that THC breaks down into CBD when harvested later. Not only is this incorrect, it leads to very sleepy cannabis from the CBN being produced. I'm sure you'll find heavy CBD strains to be very non-sleepy, when harvested at peak ripeness.

Californee is correct about phenotype and terpene differences. There are other phenos of Canna-Tsu which are inebriating. Look at all of the strains with 14% CBD and 9%THC and you'll find all kinds of inebriation in Indicas, Sativas and Hybrids alike.

I feel safe in saying there are more functional strains of sativa and sativa dominant hybrids than indicas by far. Though the vast majority still have some level of inebriation. It's truly amazing when you begin to experience higher levels of health and functionality, while not having any inebriation to get adjusted to and compensate for. Removes a significant amount of mental overhead. :D

I was thinking of starting a thread called "Help Me Build My Medical Mom Tent" and people can share what helps with what. There are threads like it, but I was thinking this would be more about dialing in the strains the medical people carry. It was just a thought.

But it stems from noticing a difference in strain preference between the healthy users and the sick users. Strains healthy folks enjoy I tend not to use. My body is broken. Cannabis fixes me for a while. For the sick people, there is no greater high than feeling "repaired" for a little while.

So a strain that induces some state, without me feeling more functional...I have little use for it. Some, but little.

The people growing for their own medical purposes, seem to have different preferences. There are a lot of strains that I like, but I won't grow them bc they aren't helpful.

I've yet to find a Kush that didn't treat me right though.

I think we are getting to the subjectivity angle here on the last few posts.

I just want to point out how "sativa" and "kush" have been used as marketing tools for branding purposes. So when junk says "kush" are you referring to actual kush varieties or California kushes such as ogkush which tend to be hybrids.

For example while I have not tried c99 I have tried it's cousin apollo 11. Both these lines are derived from bagseed from jackherrer buds in Amsterdam if the stories are true. I have tried Jack herrerbuds in California that blow apollo 11 out of the water in terms of potency the concentration of terps the bag appeal and depth of the high BUT it was not a functional high.

So the functional high might be a certain pheno in specific pairings of parental plants in various seed lines.

Work might be done to breed for those traits in specific seed lines though.

Then other factors come into play like tolerance of the user the amount consumed and the method of consumption.

I just think it is important to consider these variables when people make suggestions.

BecAuse the canatsu pheno that provides mental clarity might be extremely rare then someone gets the seeds and invests months of time energy and money to provide much needed mess only to be shit out of luck.

What's worst is someone might pop the seeds of canatsu then get the innebriating pheno but have a high tolerance and believe they have the mental clarity pheno because they have no frame of reference then it gets passed around as the mental clarity pheno etc.

There is a lot of that kind of thing going on with "sativa" and "kushes." This kind of thing reproduces ignorance. For exAmple I never knew what good chocolate, cofee, bread, beer, cheese, and sausage were untill I visited france.

Or for example I have not found a good blueberry nug in about 10 years. Most people I meet that claim to have blueberry have no fucking clue what it even is. Yet they attribute the qualities of the actual blueberry to whatever the fuck it is they believe to be the actual blueberry because they have no frame of reference.

I also want to clarify when I mentioned apollo 11. It was the genius pheno from the original offering of seeds by the brothers grim. What bros grim offers now is from a different parental pairing. He holds the original mother but it is a different father so how often the sort of pheno I tried comes up in the current offerings is anyone's guess.

Douglas.Curtis

Yes, saturation plays a deep role in inebriation awareness. lol I used to think harlequin had zero inebriation. Guilty. It's not much, bit it's there. :)

I'm also the broken type. I experienced the decline of CBD, up close and personal, as it developed the last few decades. Over the last few decades it's taken ever increasing amounts and/or stronger cannabis to reach the "I feel almost unbroken," point. This has made me adjust to a higher and higher state of being. There's so little CBD, I have to use huge amounts.

Enter high CBD strains a few years ago. The first bowl of harlequin I smoked was low quality/potency, and yet I only needed a few puffs every hour. I was taķing a toke of C-Tsu every few hours and feeling great. I would sometimes forget about medicating for a few hours at a time. A significant change.

I'm very excited at the prospect of identifying exactly why this particular pheno is non-inebriating. I know it will only be a few more years before it happens. I also expect a variety of stabilized strains within a few years after it happens.

Like cruising at high speeds in a Mercedes. :D

Muleskinner

Veteran
I also want to clarify when I mentioned apollo 11. It was the genius pheno from the original offering of seeds by the brothers grim. What bros grim offers now is from a different parental pairing. He holds the original mother but it is a different father so how often the sort of pheno I tried comes up in the current offerings is anyone's guess.

the pictures they've posted of the C99 they are now selling doesn't match the C99 line I've been growing all this time, which is from original BG seeds and also '04 Gypsy F2's which seemed the same.

I wasn't talking about pure sativa when I suggested it for energetic buzz, I meant hybrids. Didn't DNA analysis recently come out confirming that there aren't actual separate categories of sativa and indica? There is no DNA difference, or set of genes that correspond more to indica or sativa. Basically there should be only one species, since the DNA of plants defined as "indica" or "sativa" is identical.

My definition of "sativa" is just plants with longer internode distance, thinner leaf blades, up/energetic effects. The effect of each plant is different for everyone, I don't think there will ever be a reference strain that is not "intoxicating" for everyone. I had the pheno of Cannatonic with high CBD and almost no THC, it still gave me a groggy feeling, while a friend of mine got extremely mentally high from it. Everyone has a different ECS (endocannibinoid system)

I think it depends what angle you are coming from. Like if the reference point of inebriation is ogkush then it skews things. Also there is the I'm only buzzed I'm not drunk I can drive type of attitude.

Then there are actual strains that increase cognitive function which is a whole different ball park. I would bet most people never tried these strains so they don't have a frame of reference.

Douglas.Curtis

I think it depends what angle you are coming from. Like if the reference point of inebriation is ogkush then it skews things. Also there is the I'm only buzzed I'm not drunk I can drive type of attitude.
Inebriation is any change in cognition which must be compensated for, to operate as if you were completely sober. My, on the spot definition. :)

I can function well while high. Not stellar, but in many ways better than without cannabis. This ability comes through compensation, derived from repeated exposure. Even then, it's foolish to consume an unknown strain and start using power tools or other danger items.

I don't do well with most indicas and thoroughly do not appreciate 'escape from reality' type stoner cannabis. Some strains are actually worse for my autism than not using cannabis. Works for pain, but my productivity is blasted to bits.

Californee said:
Then there are actual strains that increase cognitive function which is a whole different ball park. I would bet most people never tried these strains so they don't have a frame of reference.
You're correct. Out of the new wave of high CBD offerings, Canna-Tsu is one of a very few cuts with only positive aspects so far. Only time I've ever had a fully functioning memory is while using that strain. Definitely looking forward to a steady diet of it in the future. :) Expect to see a surge in demand as it gets a big more exposure.

If we are going based off of harlequin as inebriation we have a pretty solid reference point if one is familiar with the original cut.

That would rule out all but an extremely slim percentage of phenos. Without familiarity with harlequin I think it would be pretty hard to even be able to understand where Douglas is coming from.

I highly doubt even 99% of tokers have tried anything remotely as functionable as harlequin.