What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Patent #9095554

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Is it real?
I'm not positive and some of yall are way better at fact checking than myself. :biggrin:

This is an old article but I think yall will quickly get the point.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/next/evolution/patenting-pot/

Tynehead Tom

420giveaway
what i wanna know is, who are the players involved in filing for this patent?
any players in the current seed breeding market involved?
I've been told and shown some things that make me believe the answer is yes.

Cannabologist

Veteran
"Erez", "Midnight", and so on are cultivars produced in Israel by Mechoulam's group. Michael Backe's who has a number of publications and is involved with with a group in California got the first truly American cannabis plant patent. I could find the links but anyone can look him up and the patent. The "players" are the people you've known at the forefront of the cannabis industry. Patents are being issued and reviewed!! OMG HOW DO I DO IT? HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE??? Its called patenting - if you invent things, and spend the money and what not, you can patent your inventions, and then have legal protection when you sell the to others. Amazing how America is!

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
Following fake news from anywhere is clearly unfortunate.

These are merely filings, if you follow the links you will see these have not been given patent status by any government, it is merely a google listing.

Read the entire story before making claims of loss and greed, please.

Cannabologist

Veteran
Well those cannabinoid ratios arent unique so who cares? We dont need their "special" mother plants

It's not just cannabinoid ratios, its terpene ratios too, and also flavinoids, and every other compound that is in that unique ratio within that clone cultivar.... Do you believe all plants are the same that are not clones? Or that even if you obtain the same ratios of ALL the cannabinoids, the individual clone cultivars are the same??? What about flavors? What about other traits like general morphology, growth habits, and disease resistance???? If you think you can't patent your strain of NL#1 that you have selectively bred for a particular disease resistance, and have clones of that, that you have not put to market... You can indeed now patent any of those individuals you have not sold or brought to market... They may be the NL line, but they are your work, your selection over time, from seeds you obtained and grew plants and from which selected and maintained clones over time - and didn't sell them in any way to any market... WELL YES YOU CAN OBTAIN A PATENT! And go for it! The future is is meow!

Cannabologist

Veteran
Following fake news from anywhere is clearly unfortunate.

These are merely filings, if you follow the links you will see these have not been given patent status by any government, it is merely a google listing.

Read the entire story before making claims of loss and greed, please.

From what I understand that is incorrect, these are the listings but the patents indeed have been issued by the United States Patent office, and other patents are under review as well. If this is as stated by following links, that is only because the links are not up to date or actually list a status of issuance; again as I am aware and have kept up to date on this, these patents have been issued by the office, it is not just on paper, they have it and it's real and done.

Michael Backes talks online in a recent youtube video about his patent and the process it took to get it, and states him and his group do have it, it is not just a google listing on file.

The US patent office doesn't care about any federal law offices and they have no connections there or with any attorney general. They are also anti-cannabis and are very forthcoming with issuing patents for products that are for or involve cannabis in some way.

Tynehead Tom

420giveaway
the only reason to patent a cannabis plant is to have control over it's use.
I for one don't subscibe to the "future is meow" way of thinking and will never purchase and grow seed or plants that i need permission to posess.

I see a future in canada where certain people who have been involved in cannabis , as well as degrees in biology and genetic/genome research are up to something.
It's my theory based on real documents (not fake news) that these kind of people are actively trying to work with the government to set standards in cannabis for the future marketting to the public. An example would be potency level control , something the government wants to see going forward.
I could name names, post documents passed around in closed canadian circles but fear i would be run out and off this site in a flash should i do so.
the internet is a wonderful place and full of everything one needs to know about this topic and the who's who. Much has been purged to protect those people's identities but it's out there nonetheless.
The future is tailor bred seed to sale by regulation and branded, patented recreation varieties. Your homegrown seed will be illegal to posess and grow. It's not conspiracy theory, there are people in the cannabis community working to this end right now as i type this.

Cannabologist

Veteran
the only reason to patent a cannabis plant is to have control over it's use.
I for one don't subscibe to the "future is meow" way of thinking and will never purchase and grow seed or plants that i need permission to posess.

And you likely won't be buying seeds or plants in any legal market anyway - patenting pertains to commercial markets, and the ability to license and sell your product to multiple wholesalers or retailers.
You WILL be buying products that came from plants that were grown from licensed, patented strains though, and instead of having to go 6++++ hours or out of state for your favorite item, or the item/product that works, you can go to any store nearby which carries such item, as the product will be in all the stores. It's just like when you buy bananas. WHAT You don't agree with buying patented plant products??? You've been doing it ALL your life.

I see a future in canada where certain people who have been involved in cannabis , as well as degrees in biology and genetic/genome research are up to something.
OF COURSE it's always some EVIL FUCKING SCIENTISTS behind some closed curtains using evil beakers and evil solvents doing all sorts of evil, nefarious things, always only for money of course. LOL.

K!

It's my theory based on real documents (not fake news) that these kind of people are actively trying to work with the government to set standards in cannabis for the future marketting to the public.
You mean standards for quality, tested safe products to be brought to the consumer? Yeah sounds good!

An example would be potency level control , something the government wants to see going forward.
No, you're misreading; what they mean is having standards for potency testing, especially with edibles, and standardized dosing, such as 10mg, 20mg, 50mg, 100mg doses, etc., etc.,- There will be no limits on THC or cannabinoid flower potency, or other potency. Some systems even in the USA have suggested limits on potency for edibles (say like 100mg max per edible product), but no one aside from tards is in favor of such, and they will never happen... You're just being paranoid friend :huggg:

I could name names, post documents passed around in closed canadian circles but fear i would be run out and off this site in a flash should i do so.
I can't imagine you would so post such please! I love documents, and reading them... Do give us links, corroborated information is so much better than just anyone's word.

the internet is a wonderful place and full of everything one needs to know about this topic and the who's who. Much has been purged to protect those people's identities but it's out there nonetheless.
The future is tailor bred seed to sale by regulation and branded, patented recreation varieties.
Yes companies want tried and true strains that work, that all the properties and growth habits for are known, that are grown in nurseries, and licensed out to the best growers and grown to their maximum potential, and then turned into the best products (like heintz ketchup, how do you think they get that taste every time all the time?)...

And those products are in every store, not just one or 2, not limited to only a few who get there first, but EVERYONE can get it!!! Everyone can try it!!

WHY are you so afraid of LIMITING people's access to safe, clean, tested, tried and true cannabis???

Afraid you can't compete with the best?? All I see from your post is FEAR (False Expectations Appearing Real).

You don't complain about all the hydro products you buy in all the stores.. You don't complain about the patented light bulbs and ballasts and fertilizers. How else do you think companies are able to sell products and have protection from themselves from others stealing their property??

What is wrong with you that you don't get your clones (and seeds), are your property?? If you give or sell something away, it isn't your property anymore, and it is someone else's to do with as they like. If I have a tree in my yard, I can grow it up or cut it down as I please, or uproot it and sell it - who are you to say I can't otherwise?

But if I have an agreement with whom I purchased that tree from, just as you or I and many others have agreements from windows or apple to license and use software for purchase, you or I can't just go and give copies away, we have an agreement with the purchaser.

Welcome to reality friend, business and law are real things, and so isn't property and stealing :woohoo:

Your homegrown seed will be illegal to posess and grow. It's not conspiracy theory, there are people in the cannabis community working to this end right now as i type this.
That's nonsense, and paranoia. Don't be ridiculous :tiphat:

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I see patents as future Big Pharma medicine. Having it patented and stabilized....it's only a matter of time before it's used on large scale (medical?) projects.

Israel has always been ahead of the game in cancer research, cannabis research, humanitarian aid. Surmise that Israel will be one of the first that uses patented cannabis in some form for treating medical maladies.

Last edited:

Tynehead Tom

420giveaway
behave like monsanto and wonder why growers are up in arms.
If labs working with cannabis are going to patent creations that specifically treat a specific illness, then ya, i see patenting such work as probably okay.
However, when these same breeders backed by labs are in the patent game to become players in the future of recreational markets.... i think one will find that most of the cannabis community doesn't look to kindly on that.

EastCoast710

almost would be impossible.. to do it by levels of thc cbd and such and terpenes..as with every environemtn things are diff.. so patenting it would be tough unless DNA was patented.. then that would be a nice thing to see in this industry.. not being able to breed certain plants because it will end up in the DNA

Cannabologist

Veteran
behave like monsanto and wonder why growers are up in arms.
But what has monsanto ACTUALLY done??? References to FAKE news (interesting that is coming up again) don't count, such as false stories about farmers killing themselves, and basically every other anti-monsanto thing you can find on the internet or in a fake documentary. 99% is all lies (probably 100%), and made up by people looking to profit off an easy target firstly, and secondly because they are involved in the organics food industry or environmentalist greenie hippie industry.

Even the stuff about agent orange monsanto can't be held accountable for, when it was USA government officials who misused their pesticides. How is monsanto to blame when monsanto wasn't there, didn't do it, apply it, and wouldn't tell you to spray as the usa military did?

If labs working with cannabis are going to patent creations that specifically treat a specific illness, then ya, i see patenting such work as probably okay.
However, when these same breeders backed by labs are in the patent game to become players in the future of recreational markets.... i think one will find that most of the cannabis community doesn't look to kindly on that.
WHY? They don't look kindly because they aren't at the forefront and making the best products in all the stores, not just one store? Why should the makers of a product be limited, and thus limiting all of us, the consumers, why should we all be limited by you and what you think is so odd or out of custom?? Do you think a few people with a few acres can provide the best quality, and enough product, to all the customers who may potentially need that product?

Sorry there isn't shwig going around by the lbs anymore to supply people with crap product covered in cides and bugs and seeds BUT well there is this high grade lab tested indoor and greenhouse usa grown that is pretty rad and you can find the same product consistently in every state... Shit once other countries and the world legalize you will find them everywhere. I will be able to get my favorite tried and true tested products anywhere just as any candy bar or coke. God Bless America.:tiphat:

troutman

Seed Whore
And you likely won't be buying seeds or plants in any legal market anyway - patenting pertains to commercial markets, and the ability to license and sell your product to multiple wholesalers or retailers.
You WILL be buying products that came from plants that were grown from licensed, patented strains though, and instead of having to go 6++++ hours or out of state for your favorite item, or the item/product that works, you can go to any store nearby which carries such item, as the product will be in all the stores.

I get a weird feeling TT won't be buying any Big Pharma weed anytime soon.

He's a seed whore like me. :laughing:

BTW:

1. I don't think it would be easy enforcing patents of cannabis strains anyway.
  2. People grow illegally all over the World.
  3. Do you think they'll worry about patent laws?
  4. $20 says those strains will be hacked the minute they get into illegal growers possession anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.