What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pipe cleaning?

kweb1989

Hi i was curious to know what are the methods of cleaning a pipe, (ie a glass spoon) that are most effective... Second question, is there ways of extracting or cleaning the resin to reuse besides smoking straight up nasty goobers? I dont know much about the topic resin..
Links are also welcome :thank you:

B

Baron Greenback

Get as high a proof alcohol as you can, soak in that, wipe away residue and then wash in hot water to clean away the rest of the alcohol.
As far as the "resin" that is left goes, if you are desperate, keep it. I would just clean it off myself, it's pretty minging.
Regular cleaning is the key with a pipe, the gacky build up means it doesn't work so well.

dekab247

BG said it

BG said it

I use 91 Isopropyl soak for a few hours. If you have a lot of build up longer. You can buy activity sticks, or pipe cleaners to get the lil bits that at times don't want to come off. Best to you...D

chronosync

Well-stoned member
If you soak the pipe in alcohol to clean it you can strain the waste solution through a coffee filter into a glass dish and evaporate it. What's left who knows, maybe a low quality QWISO without the tar?

paper thorn

Veteran
man, don't smoke that Jaime Hash. That's Jaime, pronounced Hymie. From an old friend who was always smoking pipe scrapings.

Grow more and throw that shit away.

I just find something to run down the stem and scrape,,, Oh yeah, I smoke out of a homemade brass pipe, might not be so good for glass.

MicroRoy

The best you could hope for at this piont is a headach. Anything that would give you a buzz has burnt up.

shithawk420

Veteran
Well I'm not gonna lie.when I was really desperate and smoked the evaporated resin.maybe its cause of low tolerence but it did work.don't recommend though

Hot water does the trick. It'll have to be too hot to touch for most folks so use some tongs or oven mitt inside of a plastic grocery bag for protection. If the hot water from your faucet is bearable to touch it won't work, in which case I add salt and rubbing alcohol to a zip lock bag, soak the pipe for a few minutes and shake like crazy. Salt and alcohol is best for bongs though because you can really shake it good, but pipes are so small that you can't get the salt and alcohol mix moving fast enough so it's tedious and turns into a chore. Boiling the pipe and then shaking it with tongs works good. The water will be hot enough the resin won't stick to the pan much, but the small amount that does can easily be wiped clean with rubbing alcohol and paper towel. Alcohol on it's own without adding salt doesn't work well but it does work if you want to put in the time and extra energy. The cleaners from the bong shops is OK if you want to spend 10x what is needed to get the job done. Good luck :)

yortbogey

To Have More ... Desire Less
Veteran
as mentioned.... rubbing alcohol ... and table salt ... 50/50 ... mixed up and soak...
the ISO, dissolves the gunk, and the salt is a natural scrubbing / sanding
agent to remove the Goo....

been working for 25+ yrz.....

j_hold420

I use to use alcohol and salt and it worked great but now I just use straight acetone. Acetone is less mess and it works quickly. I agree with the above poster who recommended not smoking the "resin". That shit is nasty and contains very little, if any, THC.

paper thorn

Veteran
Well I'm not gonna lie.when I was really desperate and smoked the evaporated resin.maybe its cause of low tolerence but it did work.don't recommend though

Yeah, me too.
I know i said throw it out, but yeah, I've smoked waaaay too much jaime hash over the years. Since I started growing my own, I always have enough smoke and don't have to smoke pipe resin like some kind of junkie addict lol:biggrin:

shithawk420

Veteran
I don't do it anymore.I don't need to get high that bad! I'd like to add though its better to use a coarser salt like sea salt or kosher salt instead of table salt.also could use rice

rolandomota

Undo a Paperclip and scrape that tar out........and wow what a waste of good resin if you toss it. The resin is always stronger than the bud and it's from pure smoke. You guys are tossing some good tar.