What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Tangwena

Veteran
Looking good my friend nice colors shows a good sweat has occurred.
If you dry it a bit it will retain the terpy smells and nice colors once sealed for curing.

If its moister it cures darker the choice is yours at this stage.
Both results are good just the darker cures you loose a lot of terpy smells but not the power.

wutwut

Veteran
winner@420giveaway
here is 10gr tube of wonder skunk ,, smells skunky ,, after 24 hrs sweating it become very dark in colour ,, i pressed it to very small piece for fun ,, im in hammock now and i forgot to take photo but it's like 5 to 10x layer of coins hehe ,, see you

picture.php

picture.php

with and without flash

Tangwena

Veteran
Better dry it now or you may loose the skunky terps I have never tried it with a skunk before let us know how it goes please.

Teh_Baker

Tang! Its been a few years, but i made my way back to your thread. I lost motivation for my gardens due to some personal stuff, but im back at it this year. I have some Hollands Hope and Neville's Haze that i am going to cob up this year. Hopefully it turns out well.

I have a cob related question for you, from a HEAVY canna consumer. 3 seasons ago i cobbed up some various strains, mostly indica dom. My grow partner and i each consumed 1g of cob, of a now un-remembered strain. We chewed and swished for 15min. After about 30min we could feel a heaviness in our lower extremities, and butterflies in our stomachs. (Edit: At this point we were very excited, because the come on feeling told us we were in for one helluva ride!) But all feels soon vanished, and we were left sober and wanting. We proceeded to smoke ourselves into oblivion, and promptly lost our cobs. My question for you is this, should heavy consumers chew larger quantities of cob? How much more than 1g should we try next time? I have followed your thread for a long time, and i know YOU dont have to ingest very much for your trippy experiences. We just want to be blown away like your cob reports.
Thanks in advance
Baker

Chalito

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hey Tangwena!
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Greetings from Argentina![/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Just posting this to give my most sincere thank you for sharing your tek, and also all the people who did his part on improving, testing and sharing.[/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Today I'm smoking my 3 months jar cured cob,..
[/FONT]

[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Its a surreal almost lysergic experience, have no words, only good feelings and ultra focused!
[/FONT]

[/FONT]

Thanks!!

Bendiciones hermano!

Tangwena

Veteran
Tang! Its been a few years, but i made my way back to your thread. I lost motivation for my gardens due to some personal stuff, but im back at it this year. I have some Hollands Hope and Neville's Haze that i am going to cob up this year. Hopefully it turns out well.

I have a cob related question for you, from a HEAVY canna consumer. 3 seasons ago i cobbed up some various strains, mostly indica dom. My grow partner and i each consumed 1g of cob, of a now un-remembered strain. We chewed and swished for 15min. After about 30min we could feel a heaviness in our lower extremities, and butterflies in our stomachs. (Edit: At this point we were very excited, because the come on feeling told us we were in for one helluva ride!) But all feels soon vanished, and we were left sober and wanting. We proceeded to smoke ourselves into oblivion, and promptly lost our cobs. My question for you is this, should heavy consumers chew larger quantities of cob? How much more than 1g should we try next time? I have followed your thread for a long time, and i know YOU dont have to ingest very much for your trippy experiences. We just want to be blown away like your cob reports.
Thanks in advance
Baker
Hi Te great that you are back in the saddle again brother I cant comment on your cobs without seeing them and preferably trying them ha ha.
But pictures speak a thousand words. I haven't tried it with Indica dom strains other have though.
Heavy smokers have a huge tolerance build up to overcome as you will no doubt know. You probably find yourself chuffing all day long trying to capture that initial high from the first joint.
A good friend of mine and a member here commented it took him 5 attempts at chewing cob before it had any effect.
But when it did it was fantastic.
I can only surmise that it takes time to educate your canna receptors or something.
I smoked for 35 years heavily both cobs and cob oil and it just got harder and harder to hit that sweet spot.
It takes strong plants, well grown and well matured to make good pot and the same with cobs.
The best heads sweated and cured will make the best cobs its an art and takes practice I am still practicing every grow and every cure.
When you come to make them please post pics of the buds and cobs at every stage. Privately if you wish and I can guide you through it.
IMO the high from well cured cobs is the best drug there is and chewing is just off this planet on THC the best drug in the world.

Tangwena

Veteran
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hey Tangwena!
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Greetings from Argentina![/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Just posting this to give my most sincere thank you for sharing your tek, and also all the people who did his part on improving, testing and sharing.[/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Today I'm smoking my 3 months jar cured cob,..
[/FONT]

[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Its a surreal almost lysergic experience, have no words, only good feelings and ultra focused!
[/FONT]

[/FONT]

Thanks!!

Bendiciones hermano!
Welcome to the cob club brother I can tell by your reaction you must have got it right.
Enjoy the fruits of your curing and please post pics if you have any I love looking at good cob pics.
From here you can adjust your technique and cure to your own tastes its easy once you are hooked, you will get steered in the right direction by the plants themselves.

Teh_Baker

Thanks Tang.

I will see if i can find some pictures of the cobs i made last time. I thought i had posted them in here before... it will still be a few months before my girls are ready to go. They are just now showing signs of the upcoming bloom. My favorite time of year!

Teh_Baker

Unfortunately, this is the only picture of them that i have. Obviously you cannot see the cobs themselves, or how they turned out. I will photo document this run for sure
picture.php

Chalito

Enjoy the fruits of your curing and please post pics if you have any I love looking at good cob pics.
From here you can adjust your technique and cure to your own tastes its easy once you are hooked, you will get steered in the right direction by the plants themselves.

Of course! Forgot about it, was so in the trip and needed to thank you at that precise moment hahaha.

This is the best image I could obtain for now (took me a few shots first was the flash shadow and then camera run of battery, later I will try with daylight)

My approach was:

1 - Taking the best cola on all my plants
2 - Hanging it to dry "till barely smokable" (its a touch/test thing for me)
3 - Cobbed the entire flower (with brach and leaves).

(I don't have a vacuum sealer, so had to improvise/adapt)

4 -Packed the Cob quite tight with food wrap, rolled both ends and tie them to seal it the best possible.

5 - Put the Cob on a home made "quick dryer" device of mine (it maintains constant indirect air flow with a temperature who fluctuates between 50C~60C) for two weeks. It perspired :)

6 - Opened, checked for mold, bad odors (nothing) and put it to dry for a couple of days (my usual normal dryer, cardboard box).

7 - Put it alone on a glass jar and took it to a dark place for exactly 3 months.
English is not my mother language (as some of you maybe noticed hahaha) So maybe I have no fluent enough to describe the amazing cob experience, but "joy" and "focus" sums it pretty well, at a little higher dose, things started to get slightly visual (kinda small "vibration"(?) on edge of things and a feeling of "tunnel focus" on contemplation of things)

Also, Tanwena, I understand what you say with the hearth my brother, the plant was my best guide in many ways on my life. Its a random bag seed that was so good that I started to clone and from that clone another clone, and so on (for 32 "generations") that I have been cultivating for many years.

It's kinda kush-hybrid with a pinch of sativa, o that is was always think, for aspect, flavor and the harvest window goes from 60~63 days (cloudy trichs) pretty cerebral highs to 75 days to help to sleep and pain relieve.

Currently Im planning cobbing an entire plant for my next harvest, half at 60 days and half at 75 days, to test, but definitely keep always some extra for my that times of my meditation, nature contact or inner searches.

Again, thanks for sharing brother!

Tangwena

Veteran
Of course! Forgot about it, was so in the trip and needed to thank you at that precise moment hahaha.

This is the best image I could obtain for now (took me a few shots first was the flash shadow and then camera run of battery, later I will try with daylight)

https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=83942&pictureid=2061347View Image

My approach was:
1 - Taking the best cola on all my plants
2 - Hanging it to dry "till barely smokable" (its a touch/test thing for me)
3 - Cobbed the entire flower (with brach and leaves).

(I don't have a vacuum sealer, so had to improvise/adapt)

4 -Packed the Cob quite tight with food wrap, rolled both ends and tie them to seal it the best possible.

5 - Put the Cob on a home made "quick dryer" device of mine (it maintains constant indirect air flow with a temperature who fluctuates between 50C~60C) for two weeks. It perspired :)

6 - Opened, checked for mold, bad odors (nothing) and put it to dry for a couple of days (my usual normal dryer, cardboard box).

7 - Put it alone on a glass jar and took it to a dark place for exactly 3 months.
English is not my mother language (as some of you maybe noticed hahaha) So maybe I have no fluent enough to describe the amazing cob experience, but "joy" and "focus" sums it pretty well, at a little higher dose, things started to get slightly visual (kinda small "vibration"(?) on edge of things and a feeling of "tunnel focus" on contemplation of things)

Also, Tanwena, I understand what you say with the hearth my brother, the plant was my best guide in many ways on my life. Its a random bag seed that was so good that I started to clone and from that clone another clone, and so on (for 32 "generations") that I have been cultivating for many years.

It's kinda kush-hybrid with a pinch of sativa, o that is was always think, for aspect, flavor and the harvest window goes from 60~63 days (cloudy trichs) pretty cerebral highs to 75 days to help to sleep and pain relieve.

Currently Im planning cobbing an entire plant for my next harvest, half at 60 days and half at 75 days, to test, but definitely keep always some extra for my that times of my meditation, nature contact or inner searches.

Again, thanks for sharing brother!
Your English is just fine my friend your message is loud and clear.
Single whole colas are my favorite cures I always do them separately and then the lower colas and finally the smaller buds.
That way you get very different tastes and effects.
My current favorite is a 3 year old Panama cola taste and effect are just pure dreamy bliss to me.
Thanks again for your report.

wutwut

Veteran
winner@420giveaway
hello, my wonder skunk project did not go how i expected. so this is mold, right? luckily its only on top of the brick, but do i have to throw it to trash or can i keep it..? it was too wet i think. practise practise..

dont ask why did i pressed it so tight. i just wanted to try to make it small. btw, i think i lost most of smells because of 7 days aging. tangwena was right for it. maybe it can still recover in time.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Tangwena

Veteran
Wutnut thats still ok just surgically cut out the mold effected areas its easy to do and you will save most of it.
Then dry it fully slowly in a warm oven or dehydrator or any other dry area in the house.
Its quite common to get this problem if the cobs are too moist.
When you open a sealed cob for the first time and hopefully get those amazing sweet terpy aromas if its been sweated properly.
Its important to dry the cob until it feels dry when you touch it, it will still be moist in the center so when you reseal again it will need weekly drying and resealing during the curing period.
Once you are more confident you can dry it only once or twice as you will know when its been done enough.
But during the learning curve I suggest sealing the cobs and opening and surface touch drying every 5 to 7 days for a month.
This way you learn what effects the drying has on the smell, texture and color of the cobs.
With experience you will know when to fully dry and reseal to age to produce the result you like.
Your cob may have lost its terpy smells but once dried it will still get you high so its not a loss just a learning curve we all go through so dont be put off.

ElDuderCabre

Man, I just read this ENTIRE post. Tangwena, you are a wizard. I have a Jorge's Diamonds in the sun, it looks like a sativa but it's supposed to be an indica. I also have a couple The One/Panama x Pakistani/Chocolate Thai plants from Swami Seeds that will be ready in October. Can't wait to cob them!

Tangwena

Veteran
Man, I just read this ENTIRE post. Tangwena, you are a wizard. I have a Jorge's Diamonds in the sun, it looks like a sativa but it's supposed to be an indica. I also have a couple The One/Panama x Pakistani/Chocolate Thai plants from Swami Seeds that will be ready in October. Can't wait to cob them!
Just passing on the the knowledge from Africa my friend they are the master curers of cannabis, central southern Africa especially the Eastern side has been making magic for ever.

ElDuderCabre

Somewhere in this thread there was a link to a documentary in Malawi. It showed a farmer making cobs bare handed, he really got his hands all over the stuff. Makes me wonder how much our natural skin microbiota play into the fermentation process as well as the bacteria from all the things we have touched throughout the day. I would like to think it does and that the same weed, same process made by two different sets of hands would have different effects. I plan on making my cobs after feeding my livestock and playing in my vegetable garden bare handed. Do you make yours bare handed?

shizoman

Can't think about other things since found this thread. Ordered vacuum sealer and dehydrator. Thanks Tangwena for such a positive vibes.