What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

moonshine mix

I

IronLung OG

moonshine mix = purple funk!

moonshine mix = purple funk!

these girls were grown in moonshine mix..... I used 100% water in veg and I used a Budswell tea every other water in flower.... best tasting herb I've ever grown!

Angel Eyes

Moonshineman said:
And the LARGE Chunky Perilite...RULES....small perilite packs down over time ...the large perilite creates huge air pockets for the roots to grow through....over the last 3 yrs anytime I have gone back to the small diameter perilite my plants SUFFER and yeilds diminish.....You have to try the stuff to understand and even then you may not comprehend (like me) the benefits the large core peri makes.....great stuff....

I'm still on my first grow, MoonshineMan, so I will gladly defer to your experience. A lot of what I use in my growing decisions comes down to "thinking like a plant," and trying to get a feel for what the plant might like or not. Definitely not scientific. I'll give the large chunks a try in my next grow. Experiments are fun!

Also, please let me offer you wishes of peace and calm as you prepare for your surgery. I live with anxiety every day, so I understand your feelings right now. Stay strong, brother!

mysta177

MSM- I hope everything turns out for the best.....Let me know how the high is the first time you smoke after the DOC tells you your OK ...My prayers are with ya brotha. :smoke:

mysta177

IronLung- those are some nice buds bro I like the pics keep them coming so all these icmgers see what kind of mix MSM creates .....we don't want them to miss out :yummy:

20kw dreams

best of luck to ya MSM. Don't let it get to ya though, cause it ain't gonna do ya no ood to worry. Most likely a nasty pimple:wink:.

So, in my neverending quest to disect the hows and why's of this mix, and after seeing a few different peoples pics, I think I am going to slightly customize, or go for the different veg and flower mixes. I have a box of the 5-5-5 all purpose, which I might try for the veg. I was also checking out the "bulb food" FF mix. The NPK is closer to the "marijuana botany" guidelines, plus a much higher Mg.

Here's the 3 for comparison:N-P-K-Ca-Mg
"Fruit and Flower" - 5-8-4-7.87-.85
"All Purpose" - 5-5-5-8.4-1.25
"Bulb" - 3-8-8-(8)-(4)

I think I am just trying to incorporate the N boost that MSM gets w/ the fish mix, but w/ powdered ferts.

I picked up a box of kelp meal, which I'll add to the mix. I was wrong about the "red bag" FF not containing it though..it does, but I will still add more. I was also planning on innoculating the soil w/ AN's Tarantula, as it has some 2.5 billion mycorrhizae, enzymes, and bacteria per cc.

I got the powdered ferts, the red bag, the ocean forest, and the perlite, I just need a bag of Light Warrior or equivelant, and the first 4 will go in the mix. I set my pops up, and they didn't have LW, so we used some light weight mix made by "roots", which was actually just a really light soil mix which contained some guano, kelp meal, and soe other shit.

All right, enough ramblin for now.

Peace. My thoughts are w/ you MSM.

mysta177

20K I bet that Tarantula is going to do wonders dogg..GL. I just added sum heavy weight and ff tiger and those buds are so much bigger over night its amazing. How much more kelp are you going to add? Keep me posted im in week 7 so its getting close to start my MSMix. I'm going to go with MSM new version but I'm watching your shit to see what else I can add....

20kw dreams

I picked up a box of the "Tomato and Veggy" FF today too. I was thinking about maybe using that as the veg instead of the "all purpose", because the N-P-K seems more standard, but the Mg and Ca levels are much lower.

Here they are for reference:
"all-purpose" 5-5-5-8.4-1.25
"Tomatoe & Veggy" 7-4-5-5.25-.79

My understanding was that you wanted you Ca levels at least the same or higher then your N...although I forget why I thought this...and the MG levels on MJ ferts which don't have Mg deficiency problems are usually 1 part Mg for 4-6 parts N. That leaves the Tomatoe fert possibly leaving a Mg def for some Mg hungry strains. I'll still use "tomato" fert though for veg, for the higher N.

ANYWAYS! I am basically just going to add the FF and Kelp at recommended dosages, which are slightly higher then MSM's mix calls for I think.

Let me do the math now, as I just ot online to look up the conversion. 1 cubic foot is 7.481 gallons, so we'll just use 7.5. The LW and Red Bag are both 1ft2, the OF 1.5, @1ft2 of perlite, so 4.5ft2. 4.5 x 7.5 = 33.75 gallons, or 32 to make it easy for out calculations.

The "Tomato & Veggy" says 2T/gal for new container plants, and the Kelp and "Fruit & Flower" say 1T/gal for new container plants, and the Kelp also says 2T/gal for established plants. Neither one say what to add to the soil if you are transplanting already established plants, but my guess would be 1.5 to 2T per gallon.

Now, there are 16 T in a cup, so for 32 gallons of soil, that's 2 cups @ 1T per gallon, and 4 cups for 2T/gal...Thats crazy!

I don't see how people aren't getting mad deficiencies w/ this mix...but it obviously works...so WTF?

Anyways, I'll be splitting the unferted mix in half. I'll add 1 cup "tomato" and 1 cup Kelp to 1/2 for veg in 2 gallon pots, and 1 cup "bulb food" and 2 cups Kelp to the other for flower in 5 gal pots. Early veg has been done in 1qt pots, which I have just started to fert cause they're getting too big...transplants soon...this weekend...

Can I waste space, or what..lol..

LAter

G

^^^ if the POM was all that was getting you through then yes there would be a shitload of Def's.....

the 3 bag mix is the KEY...you can grow yer plants with JUST that.....the POM allows some additional nutes and mycor/bacteria and such.....the POM is just a sugar sprinkled coating on a big fat sundae of earthy goodness....

and yes you can get some spectacular results (weightwise) from adding a bunch of additional liquid nutes BUT the Orig point of all this was Simplicity and to not interfere with the flavor by enroaching it with a ton of additional liquid junk......

there is nothing worse than a beautifuly grown nugget tasting of liquid guano....

mysta177

Quality not Quantity....your right...I'll be sure not to get away from that concept as we grow further in your amazing mix.

20kw dreams

Right right MSM, I just can't help myself. I have been growing mostly for production for a few years, so the switch to all organic w/ out all the tweaks is difficult for a grower like me. I do however think though, that while the beauty of your mix kmay be it's simplicity, what it, or one based on the principles of a nutrient complete soil mix such as this, does for a grower like me, is allows me to not have to worry about the base nutrient, and even my usual kelp additive. If I can go from checking my rez 2-3 x a week, and switching my formula 4 times during the lifespan of the plants, to putting these gals on an auto water once a week, trnasplanting once, and only hand watering them 2 x, when I want to add a boost or innoculate the soil, then I AM A VERY HAPPY MAN!

I do see however how I am taking your super simple recipe, and turning it more complicated subject then need be, but such is my personality.

My bad:)

Anyways, So, I lied up there^ I ended up using the "all purpose" for veg. I totally forgot that the Kelp was going to have an N-P-K. The kelp is 1-.1-2-1Ca-.5Mg. That brings my N-P-K-Ca-Mg to 7-5.2-9-10.4-2.25. That looks just about perfect to me. A little high in Ca maybe, but I'll be using RO water, so it's all good. I put them into 2 gal pots tonight, and then they'll go o the 5's in 2-3 weeks.

I'm still debating wether to use the "fruit and flower", or the "bulb" food for flower though.

Here's what the Mix would look like w/ them both w/ the kelp, if anyone cares to comment.
Bulb - 5-8.2-10-10-4
Fruit & Flower - 7-8.2-8-10-1.85

again, it looks like the calcium and N in the F & F is a little high , and the Mg looks very high in the Bulb mix..so much it could perhaps be a problem.

Nuff about me, what's up w/ you guys?

Later

mysta177

20K- Bro you can do so much with this mix its crazy....I cant wait to see what they taste like so I can figure out what the fuck Im going to do with the next crop. I wanna keep the simplicity of MSM11 and the tatse but if ther is way to make my ladyz a lil bigger without fucking w/it im in. Please keep posting because I'm all ears.

Well here is a update on my first grow. These SourDxSuperSilverHaze ladyz are way to stinky for the attic had to get a filter....could of made it myself but I only paid $125 and its a hell of a lot of carbon. Its about as big as a Keg. Please feel free to comment:
9005mary1_005-med.jpg

Last edited:

20kw dreams

Very very nice. You should try turning that hps off when you take your pics though bud.

I should mention, I was going to test run my shit w/ the original mix for comparison, but I turned my dad onto this mix. I gave him 3 of the same strains. I am running 17 plants in this soil, of 14 different strains. Sensi Star, Trainwreck, Bubblegum, Spaceship, Silver Haze, A-10, Bubba Kush, NYCD, "Soma" Diesel, another Diesel, Hog Romulan, Kahuna, and Blueberry. Only 2 strains have more then 1, which are 2 blueberry and 3 "spaceship", which is a 45 day flower, which smells like some kind of blueberry bubblegum candy, but not of any special potency, but not bad either. Those 3 diesels were labeled different and picked up at different times, but may well be the same. This is basically a test run for a bunch of clones I picked up at the clubs, to see if any of them will be keepers. The BlueBerry, Diesel, Trainwreck, and Spaceship I've had for a while, and they are all pretty good, but only the trainwreck is a suer keeper. I also have some pot-o-golds and some purple cream, but they won't go into this mix yet, as the POG's are in hydro, and the PC is a mother I'm letting grow out for a full table of cuttings for the next soil run:)

My dad has 3 blueberries, and a diesel and a trainwreck in the original mix that you posted Mysta, so I'm using that for my comparison.

I'll be getting another camera her in a week or 2. I left the last one on a cliff in Big Sur a couple of months back.

Nice cab BTW. Where did you pic that scrubber up so cheap? that's good deal. Are any of ya'll cali medical?

mysta177

Nice have pops going also..sweet and smart I like. I got the scrubber at the local hydro store I thought it was cheap myself but hay fuk it. I'm a cali med all the way
9005sourD.jpg

Last edited:

20kw dreams

much better w/out the light on. How far along are they now? How big/old were they when you threw them into flower?

I almost picked up a camera today at Wal-lie World, but I hate to support big corporate fucks, so I'm gonna try to find one this weekend.

mysta177

I got these ladyz from the club. They were going to be grown aeroponicaly but he had to get rid of them so I came up Phat. The only prob was they were already into flower 1 week with no veg time so it was a major shock to them. Free smoke and experience for a first timer makes me happy..... Now I think I'm just going to pull them anytime so I can get started on our mix. The trich are barely starting to get cloudy and they are 7 weeks in flower might me sum smoke for 4/20?

G

Lookin good fellas.....

Here is my AmnesiaHAze x Nevilles HAze ...aka."WTF"....

121 days of flower in a 7gal bucket.....No extra food at any time in its life except for the Mix......

The Big problem I see when trying to add liquid ferts to this mix is lockout.....The Moonshine Mix is so rich that any overfert will totaly screw up the symbiosis of the nutes and mychorz already supplied.....

My advice is to dial in yer grow with the mix before trying to add a bunch of shit.....and if yeild is the only reason for adding nutes ; just veg the plants and extra week or two and youll end up with a bigger plant with more bud.....

I grew for years with just about every old school mix on the market.....I came up with this mix with my brother as a way to grow 30+ varieties without trying to remember what got fed what.....and so far I havent seen a strain that didnt thrive once the water levels got dialed alongside PH and soil denseness.....

plus you can recycle this substrate a couple of times without adding anything additional......just make sure the soil is clean of bugs and such....

but if yeild is the only concern , you need to find another mix.....this stuff is all about Quality.....

and trust me, it took me a year to kick the habit of feedin the gals ocasionaly....now I feed only when its a neccesity.....

Moonshine

Last edited:

mysta177

I just had nominate that for pics of the month............. sweeeet
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=434737#post434737
And of course Im in it for the taste and quality this next time I think Im going to veg for 3 weeks and definately scrog. I'm very limited on space as you can tell in the pics so Im wondering if 3 weeks will be to long...What do you think????
Heres a pic of a lil bud I had to cut off and taste for 4/20 any info on how I should cure it that fast? Anyone?I just have to taste this shit.... :yummy:
9005mary1_006.jpg

Last edited:

20kw dreams

Hey MSM - When you say 5 gal and 7 gal, do you mean 5 gal and 7 gal pots, or do you mean #5's and #7's? I ask, because a #5 is a 3 gal pot in the nursery business, and a #7 a 5 gal pot. Just makin sure before I go and use bigger pots then necessary.

and how do you recycle the mix? is it necessary to add the ferts again? Is it as good around the second time as the first?

G

20kw dreams said:
Hey MSM - When you say 5 gal and 7 gal, do you mean 5 gal and 7 gal pots, or do you mean #5's and #7's? I ask, because a #5 is a 3 gal pot in the nursery business, and a #7 a 5 gal pot. Just makin sure before I go and use bigger pots then necessary.

and how do you recycle the mix? is it necessary to add the ferts again? Is it as good around the second time as the first?

5 gallon bucket or 7 gallon Garbage can drilled out like a piece of swiss cheese on the bottom....I veg all the way through a 4 gallon bucket for most strains.....so when I flower they are 25-30'' tall with 3-6 leads......you can use a smaller bucket but you'll get smaller yeilds.....I normally veg for 50 days after the clones root....some real short stuff gets a longer veg like 60-65......

and as far as recycling....if the plant is overly rootbound at the end I wont recycle it but if it is just starting to get rootbound I'll dump the whole thing into a rubbermaid container and massage the roots and rootball out till the old soil is decently clean and I add benificial nemeatodes to kill any living pests in the soil......and I'll only use the used mix on my flowering plants....Say I have a beastly gal that eats a 5 in less than 3 weeks of flower, I'll transplant her into a 7gal and use the recycled dirt to get her through the remainder of flwoer.....normally I'll have 3 or 4 plants out of 10 that I can recycle the dirt....I bust up all the rootmasses in a small baby pool and then depending on how much substrate is there I will add a cup to 2 cups of Peace of mind fruit and flower.....

and of all the Peace of mind dry ferts the only ones that work well with ganja are the Fruit and Flower and Starter Mix.....all the others lack in one way or another....they will work but you wont see the end results in the flav dept...

The Moonshine Mix was developed between me and my Brother over the last 10 yrs....I have been using this mix primarily since Oct 03.....and over the last year or so Romulator, my Bro and I have really got this stuff dialed in.....My Brother is the CHAMPION grower with this mix, more so than I...and he adds NOTHING.....his yeilds are huge and the quality of his nuggets is always top notch.....

the only thing that I believe can make more of a positive impact on yer garden than just dialing in the mix is Water Quality.....His water comes from a natural spring source from a glacial aquifer and its absolutely some pristine H2o......The 2 or 3 times I have filled up a bunch of 5 gallon buckets and brought em back to my grow I can tell the plants respond'd to his water....It does little to help the rest of us but it tells me that addin extra stuff isnt needed....

Moonshine

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts