What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Trying to pick the best COB. CXB5690 or CXM-22 or what?

Klompen

Overambitious :)
If you end up building a light, the moment you turn it on you'll realize you can run it 24/7 with no problem at all. The only reason "overheating" is on your mind right now is because of the driverless cobs.

In the same vein: if nobody in the world needs a huge copper water block, why would you?

If it's longevity and efficacy you're after, just buy more leds and run them softer. (= lower current)

LOL I know I don't NEED a water block. Probably won't ever do it, but it still sounds like a fun project. That's the primary point of the Arduino project: I want to learn Arduino and it will give me a low-priority project to learn it with.

What I mean though about thermal protection is for if something goes wrong(like the board shorting, or getting wet, or something).

indagroove

Veteran
If you want to cool a QB96, really all you need is a small axial fan on the back of the heatsink, but it's really not needed unless you are driving them at close to 200watts per board.

Klompen

The only reason I brought up the idea of liquid cooling is that it would be silent and it transfers the heat from the cabinet to wherever the radiator is. Also, I have an absurd amount of PC cooling equipment that I have salvaged out of dumpsters over the years.

I'll have a picture here soon of the progress so far on the new space. It might help make a few things more clear.

Klompen

Here is a shot of the framing of my space so you can see it. That shop light sort of threw off the lighting in the shot, but the plants LOVE that light. Unfortunately its only 100lm/watt and gets hot as hell as a result. I needed something temporarily but was surprised how fast the plants responded to it.

Anyway, here you can see how I have the three stalls(plus that space to the left where I am currently vegging. The current plan is that the two stalls on the right will be flowering spaces, leaving me with a chamber to do autoflowers and photoperiod plants side-by-side. The space on the left, plus the space left of that, will be mom and clone veg space for the time being. Each flowering space will end up with 1 QB96v2 overhead and maybe 40-80W of some sort of high efficacy strips around the sides.

So there's the space, and basically what I am doing with it. Ballasts and ventilation will all be up in that 2' overhead space above the chambers.

Latest posts

Latest posts