What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How about that silver?

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
:yeahthats

Hmm, $25.34 right now at 10:30 central time...
might hit $26 today, before it corrects back down..

two thirds of my silver is Franklin half dollars..
Spot on each one right now is $9.18..

With the premium added, the dealers are selling them for $11.25 each...

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
This kind of price action is scary. How would you like to be APMEX, and just locked in a big deal to sell at $24.40 before the spike hit?

silver.gif

Checking available ASE coins, the newest they have is 2018 at $38.75

AGEs are $2118

2118 / 38.75 = 54.7 ratio available phyzz.

St. Phatty

This kind of price action is scary. How would you like to be APMEX, and just locked in a big deal to sell at $24.40 before the spike hit?

View Image

AGEs are $2118

the larger the market, the more they are insulated from that.

because they usually have another customer on the other end of every trade.

some of them use options / derivatives to hedge risk.

i always thought it would be hard to be a small town coin dealer, if you had a customer like me who also had a lot of money.

i would always be pressing for the low price, trying to sell at the high price.

brickweeder

as [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]St. Phatty mentioned, they use derivatives to hedge.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]They probably have a risk management dept that hedges so that if they sell a large order, they take some of their premium profits and use it to go long in the paper market.When they buy silver, they probably short a percentage of their buys in the paper market so that they can cushion potential losses. Plus, when they get an extreme downside move, they take the metal off the market and book paper profits on the way down, and when they do put metal back on the market, they raise premiums to capture a profit despite a lower spot price.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]In essence, they are using their profits from premiums to hedge in both directions.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

brickweeder

...i always thought it would be hard to be a small town coin dealer, if you had a customer like me who also had a lot of money.

i would always be pressing for the low price, trying to sell at the high price.
I would think that a small town dealer would also hedge larger transactions, just on a smaller scale than the big boys.

gladysvjubb

Veteran

View Image

AGEs are $2118

Years and years of pent up demand.
Grandson just got a PCGS American Silver Eagle, Burnished, First day of Issue, SP70. Paid $138. He will in his lifetime probably never sell.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
You would have made allot more if you bought amazon.

I had to log in to rec that Zeez. Ain't that the truth? I would be a fuckin millionaire, living where I fuckin want.

The big explosion in Beruit may have been the trigger for silver today. Stuff like that has a way of shaking out the manipulation BS, as they figure things may get more serious.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
I had to log in to rec that Zeez. Ain't that the truth? I would be a fuckin millionaire, living where I fuckin want.

The big explosion in Beruit may have been the trigger for silver today. Stuff like that has a way of shaking out the manipulation BS, as they figure things may get more serious.

I made some cash and took it all off the table. There's just too much carnage right now to stay in. Businesses tanking, renters can't pay, no jobs. It's looking better for gold and silver all the time. If you're not worried about the market going sour, gun manufacturers always do well in troubled ties too.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I made some cash and took it all off the table. There's just too much carnage right now to stay in. Businesses tanking, renters can't pay, no jobs. It's looking better for gold and silver all the time. If you're not worried about the market going sour, gun manufacturers always do well in troubled ties too.

You never lose money taking a profit. Metals will be interesting going forward, and I may be wrong but I think 1 oz coins is the way to go for silver. 100 oz bars will be less so, except for trading for larger ticket items. At $5K each ($50), they would trade for things you can use, like tractors.

The cerberus types bought the gun manufacturers (Like my beloved Marlin), and promptly ruined them. Daze of gun stawks are done IMO. Anyone who wanted a gun has plenty. Ammo is a different story.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
You never lose money taking a profit. Metals will be interesting going forward, and I may be wrong but I think 1 oz coins is the way to go for silver. 100 oz bars will be less so, except for trading for larger ticket items. At $5K each ($50), they would trade for things you can use, like tractors.

The cerberus types bought the gun manufacturers (Like my beloved Marlin), and promptly ruined them. Daze of gun stawks are done IMO. Anyone who wanted a gun has plenty. Ammo is a different story.

I agree and think the economy is very unstable right now with allot of downside. Having some cash or tradables around is a smart move right now. Gold, Silver, and other metals will keep going up until this mess is well stabilized.

St. Phatty

firearms are too risky as a stock investment.

all that has to happen is to have the freedom from liability for firearms manufacturers, act from 2005 under Bush.

if/ when that is reversed, not a good time to own firearms stocks.

And all it will take is a Dems-Dems-Dems WH-Senate-House, and then -1- more mass shooting. And if you're living in a state with a Dem governor ...

of course firearms themselves, have gone up about 100% since Covid19 started.

semi-auto's that is. best price i've see for AR10 lowers was $149.

now they're around $370 or $400.

i want to sell some of my uppers and maybe complete rifles. i sort of look at it as, how much is the same weight worth in silver ?

if i can get $400 for a 24" 6.8 SPC upper with the bolt, that weighs about 6 1/4 pounds - that's 100 ounces - so $4 an ounce.

whereas silver is now $26 an ounce.

anyway so I'm getting about 1/6 the weight of the upper in Silver.

Since Ammo and Firearms and Silver have gone up, I guess the Ammo/Silver and Firearms/ Silver ratios are about the same.

i always thought a 90 pack of Federal 5.56 on stripper clips of 10 packs, was about as hard to make as 2 or 3 ounces of Silver.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Sadly, it looks like the fools in DC will print our currency into obscurity. There will be tremendous pain when our paper money is rejected worldwide. There isn't a red or blue dollar.

Cheapest AGE APMEX has is $2164
Cheapest ASE APMEX has is $ 40.20

Available retail phyzz ratio: 53.8

Last edited:

EsterEssence

Veteran
The American 100 dollar bill use to be the preferred currency all over the world, it’s still a close call between the euro and the dollar. There are more 100.00 bills outside the USA than there are in the country. It’s going to be a long time before the American currency will be rejected...

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
The thing keeping ole bucky propped up is all the DEBT, denominated in dollars.

The fed is printing like mad to erase all that bad debt owned by their owners (fed is a private entity), because the debt is deflationary (supply and demand of money). They want inflation so badly that when they see prices drop, they call the deflation... get this: "disinflation".

Interesting times are upon us I am afraid. My biggest fear is the .guv, an entity that requires a constant supply of money, which it gets from the misfortunate people who have found themselves under the control of the very government that is supposed to be there to serve them. Says so right on the side of the enforcer's vehicles. Protect budgets by serving warrant.

Last edited: