What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Oaxaca 79

Btw, i'm testing a bit the different pure oaxacans females and some of them are simply outstanding. Congrats to kaiki for preserving such interesting old mexican line, can't wait to share my best findings of the line with him :)

Your work is vital for the earth and all its people, please accept my fondness and gratitude for your efforts.

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Mentor
Veteran
Dubi, I trust your selection of these genetics. I hope you find what your looking for, for my sake. I love Oaxacan! I would love to run some of the 79's when you think they are ready. Oaxacan produced more grins and soar ribs from laughing than anything I ever smoked.
GO Dubi GO!!!

B

bringyalungs

yeah when i think about it even all that mexcian brick used to have so giggle, tripping and funny effects. we are all in search of our childhood highs that made us juts laugh about the stupidest things... Dubi when you say outstanding, giggly outstanding? no rush at all dubi, do your thing but from the people it sounds like oaxacan may need to move up that list.

blessing... one love always

LostTribe

Premium user
We used to get mostly oaxacan commercial purple bud around 2000 it was always budded and loosely packed with lesser seeds. Higher high uplifting for sure with a long trip head feeling to it. I wish I had kept some of these beans for sure. Do have some purple oaxacan highland from a friend that lived in Puerto Escondido for a stint. He got pretty good semi seedless buds then and some great stuff in Michoacan that was seedless unfortunately that he obtained from the Mestiza Indians there locally grown. It is not safe there in Michoacan these days so he hasn't been back there. Said the Michoacan was light green super sticky and fragrant with a killer long lasting sativa high. Might try to pop the few Oaxaca's he gifted me to see what they are about.

mayan

Atavist
Veteran
Back in the day -early 70s- I had some light green Oaxacan that had me seeing multi-colored moving tapestries on the walls. I lost her when I got picked up for hitchhiking on an Interstate and the cop frisked me found it and dumped it in a snowbank by the side of the road. Thankfully, he didn't arrest me - for that I am eternally very grateful. Still, I have spent many cannabis hours trying to refind that Holy Pyschedlic Grail.

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Mentor
Veteran
I'm not familiar with Kaiki. The wife and I had a trip planned to Panama last year to search around for some good genetics. I don't speak Spanish so I was hesitant to go to coastal Oaxaca. Acapulco is close by and a good tourist place. I purchased some seeds a year or so ago. They were anything but Oaxacan. Sad some seed banks can't be trusted to be honest. I will plan another trip this year. I know Ace has Guatemala, maybe I'm just hooked on the name Oaxacan. Peace

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Mentor
Veteran
:plant grow::plant grow:Hey Dubi,
I was going back through several pages of older threads. There was a lot of talk about your Vietnam Black. If you need a male I would love to see a cross of those two. V BOX even the initials have a great marketability. Well anyway that is my two cents of wishful thinking.
Peace

B

bringyalungs

@shorlineOG, not seeing pictures. Are your albums set to public? bless

B

bringyalungs

Go to My IC(top right)
pictures & albums(left hand side)
select your album
edit album(right hand side between the green bar(look well)
make sure albums set to public

bless

B

bringyalungs

yeah had to go to ablum, looking good.3rd pic how tall? what kind of fx? aroma, etc... giggles?

treehuggindruid

warning... long breed analysis here...

warning... long breed analysis here...

hello. i've been lurking here for awhile on the ace threads reading everybody's sativa posts. very interested in this. sorry if this is long for my first post here.

i also remember the minty smell. i remember oaxacan very well. this was the first weed i ever smoked back in the 70s & my regular weed whenever possible. i would consider at least a hint of mint to be "classic," whatever that means, for all the connoisseur stuff floating around lately. i remember i actually liked the smell even tho i hate the smell of real mint plants, due to an unfortunate episode with pepto bismol.

anyway. a few reasons why the high was mythical for me at least: it was a fun, sociable & happy giggle weed when smoked in smaller amounts. in large amounts, it became for me a heavy spiritual trip in a kind of scientific fashion. i could analyze from a detached viewpoint what was happening, like its "classic" synesthesia effect, which was very intense. synesthesia is where your senses merge & become one, like every sound becomes a light, a sustained sound goes off in your head like a strobe light. letters & numbers have colors. very much moving in stereo, & "can't find my way home" that song describes it perfectly. very very good for listening to music & becoming one with everything thru music. i could sit there forever seeing patterns & visions in wood paneling on the wall or fallen leaves. if i dripped oil paint on a canvas, shapes would appear on their own. all i had to do was fill them in with the brush. faces & animals appeared in surprisingly realistic fashion among a lot of abstract weaving. i was really amazed i could paint a dolphin leaping randomly from the water in reasonably proportions: instead of looking at a photo, i basically traced the vision. better than photoshop hehe there was a kind of augmented self-awareness that i hesitate to call a tiny bit of body high, because it was not like an indica--it was subtle but devastating. if you touched something, you could feel the electrical impulses going from your finger, up your arm & to your brain, synapse by synapse. higher level electro-physical stuff. if you've ever seen a video of those deep-sea jellyfish-like creatures with their string of electric lights moving like a neon sign, you get the idea. this is much much different than that afghanica stuff, which has not the subtlety & i feel like i'm locked into a squishy piece of meat without anything uplifting happening on the material plane. anyway.... the oaxacan was very introspective, i could scribble poetry for hours being inspired by darn near anything. i liked it better than thai stick, which was less focused & made creativity more difficult.

i've recently been growing eldorado. oh, i was so pissed. i avoided all message boards because i was afraid i was going to vent everywhere as to why it was not exactly "the stuff." if you read thru the nirvana help forums, you eventually find it's cut with 15% white widow, despite all the "100% landrace" advertising. well, it could be worse, they could have cut it with afghanica which i dislike with a passion.

anyway. i will tell all i know since i was up half the night reading everybody's detailed thai weed of old descriptions & everything since the history of mankind :D i would post this all for nirvana, but they lied, & they don't deserve it :p well, they did say "white strain," if you were looking hard.

well. so far, eldorado has at least 3 different phenotypes just for the high. in short, the high is not stable, which is the most important part, right? in a landrace, i assume the high, like many other factors, should be inbred all to hell, & should be somewhat predictable? there might be a range of course, but...you would think there would be more stability in an IBL.

here are the gory details: #1 is speedy gonzolas. i sure don't remember a speed trip like a million cups of coffee from smoking any oaxacan back in the 70s. up, yes, buzz around, pace the floor taling to myself, yes, but, but... fortunately unlike hazes it does not seem to make my heart race uncontrollably. i avoid jamaican hazes like the plague for that reason. something to consider is that people who might be old enough to actually remember oaxacan might be on high blood pressure meds now? so, heart pound would be a no no no no. so. when the high comes on it's a blare of the white noise radio range, kind of like when you're about to have an out of body experience, but don't quite get there. but it may be possible? some slight enhanced telepathy, including non-human life. interesting, may be worth developing. but, for the most part that wears off very fast, like in about 10 minutes after you smoke it & there's only a speed trip. i can drink coffee for that & not stink like weed in public lol. better to avoid using eldorado with a lot of coffee, it only makes it worse. i "suspect" this is a result of crossing with the brazilian part of the white widow? i never had brazilian before, not sure where the extra speed is coming from. taste from the fresh, topped stem: pure pine. smoke had maybe a fuel taste. not grown in heat, so little smell from the plant except clean & fresh green. i don't mind chlorophyll. maybe a hint of lemon.

high phenotype #2: much more relaxing, mildly psychedelic, i am still waiting for her to finish flowering, i only did the leaf. had a brief vision, some kind of india-type white goddess figure, but--india is the other half of the white widow, right? & phenotype #2 has not the vibe of mexican. the jury is still out on her tho, she might be decent smoke, but still, not "classic" oaxacan or even mexican in vibe.

high phenotype #3: finally, we find a hint of mexican in a male! with however an underlying indica body stone. at least it's not an afghan body stone. i am thankful for that because afghanica makes pain worse for me & makes me very paranoid. i remember that paranoid stuff from a pure indica in 1981. evil. i sure don't remember a lot of paranoid weed back in the 70s. & people are taking it for granted now like that's part of sativa? maybe mostly sativa dominate? anyway. yes, i smoked a bit of the leaf, it was mellow, laid back, no worries, & possibly stronger than the female leaf, tho that might have been the indica speaking. did i mention the male had sugar? sadly this male succumbed to treatments for spider mites (brought my outdoor plants inside for the winter...sigh) & i also cut off his manly branches which are still in a jar of water developing. very little of his pollen is on the female (yet), she is also liberally dusted with speedy gonzolas since i am desperate for seeds. doubtless i have to grow a million plants looking for that mythical high, which i may never find again because the US government doubtless sprayed it all with weed killer. taste of his stem: not pine this time but a confused mixture that was not mint either: lighter, more floral, & maybe cream? not quite marshmallow cream, there's really too many mixed-up flavors in eldorado to pin it down, maybe a female would be better to judge? i noticed dubi mentioned cream flavor as well. is it possible the cream flavor stuff is from a different part of oaxaca than the classic highland breed? which is the thing here: did any old-school mexican survive the war on drugs? ouch & ouch. but it sounds like dubi has the same breed or similar to what nirvana has.

all 3 were strangely vigorous for an IBL, & reasonably well-behaved. pheno's 1 & 2 had skinny leaves, #3 had almost mid-range leaves. people elsewhere are getting fatter, almost indica leaves, judging by their grow journals.

hermies: as a result of my making him a eunuch, speedy gonzolas decided to put out exactly one single female hair from his unripe unpruned ball. i really was daring him to do it. he is about spent however so i don't think he will survive a self-seeding. besides, i have already dusted his pollen on the female. i doubt not the speedy gonzolas breed will live on! dang, i need some panama lol

false pregnancy: i had a hard time flip to flowering on 12/12. they just smiled serenely & laughed. i figured out the 11/13 equatorial thing, i see other people are doing that too. i put them on 10 1/2 hours light temporarily to get them to flip. impatient me... the female did something strange after forming her first pistils. she did not hermie from the abrupt light change. but, out of her barely formed cracked calyxes on the lower nodes she made dark thin seed coverings with no seeds inside. not bananas, i have seen bananas & balls on female hermies. she was not pollinated at this point. also, barely formed seeds are not dark. i spent half the day on the internet trying to find this, i found exactly one person who had seen this before, no one could tell him what it was. he thought it was false pregnancy. only 10 & 1/2 hours of light was a little much for her, apparently. she is doing fine now at 11/13. going to try to reveg her when the seeds are done.

meanwhile i am trying a couple more seeds. they'll be set for equatorial light schedule. i just got a new grow light with far red & UVB. there's too many clouds during winter to use my tall south window or even put them outside in pots.

@SpaceBros: hope you have good luck finding something you like in your grow :)

looking hard at the ace list... glad to find it! very interested in the guatemala. & the panama... & the oldtimer haze, which does not have jamaican in it? excellent. & this & that! next month for sure, i just bought me a light....

thanks all for putting up with me :)

SpaceBros.

Thanks for the detailed report treehuggingdruid!

TBH I've never tried authentic Oaxacan personally but always heard great things about the quality of the Oaxacan high - happy, euphoric, mood and sense elevating etc Also a minty, spicy aroma sounds good too. I went into the El Dorado grow knowing it was only going to be semi-authentic at best. Feel free to vent over at the El Dorado thread here:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=309804

We can only hope that Ace or Cannabiogen release some S1's later this year for all us to try for ourselves the legendary Oaxacan :)

treehuggindruid

thank you very much for the thread, SpaceBros! will read it with interest... think i vented far too much but :D

they seemed to be very well-behaved, happy & healthy plants. i have absolutely no complaint there.

i would be very happy if ace releases the S1s. they do have many things here i would really like to try. & we do have limits here in oregon.... lol

B

bringyalungs

@treehugging loved the description of mexican and tou got that right spacebros, the genetic authors at cbg n ace need to get that Oaxacan s1 out... we bringing mexi back 1lovealways

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Well, after almost 2 months curing the Oaxacans 79 i'm very enthusiastic about the findings and potential of the line, it's probably the best pure landrace sativa i've had the pleasure to explore at least for the last 10 years.

Even the average oaxacans are very good, but the ones that are above average and the exceptional ones are simply out of this world .... the terpene profile is amazingly complex for a pure landrace, a mix of super refined incense, musky, perfume, wood, lime, ... that translates incredible well to the smoke. Effects are also very complex, uplifting and trippy, a good intense effect of at least 2-3 hours of duration.
The oaxaca 79 reminds me the best Kali Mist from the 90s, but completly pure sativa, without indica or skunk. The incensey aromas that leaves the joint in the room when is burnt is incredible, almost make me feel like praying.

We will bring next week the best Oaxacan 79 females we have found to analyze for cannabinoid and terpene content and profile. Kaiki is at the moment busy with his trips but hope we can find the moment to meet in person soon, so i can share with him the best oaxacans we have found. Hopefully they will be useful for his breeding projects and to preserve this special strain, he is also super enthusiastic about the potential of this old mexican line.

Ollie

Veteran
Well, after almost 2 months curing the Oaxacans 79 i'm very enthusiastic about the findings and potential of the line, it's probably the best pure landrace sativa i've had the pleasure to explore at least for the last 10 years.

Even the average oaxacans are very good, but the ones that are above average and the exceptional ones are simply out of this world .... the terpene profile is amazingly complex for a pure landrace, a mix of super refined incense, musky, perfume, wood, lime, ... that translates incredible well to the smoke. Effects are also very complex, uplifting and trippy, a good intense effect of at least 2-3 hours of duration.
The oaxaca 79 reminds me the best Kali Mist from the 90s, but completly pure sativa, without indica or skunk. The incensey aromas that leaves the joint in the room when is burnt is incredible, almost make me feel like praying.

We will bring next week the best Oaxacan 79 females we have found to analyze for cannabinoid and terpene content and profile. Kaiki is at the moment busy with his trips but hope we can find the moment to meet in person soon, so i can share with him the best oaxacans we have found. Hopefully they will be useful for his breeding projects and to preserve this special strain, he is also super enthusiastic about the potential of this old mexican line.
Wicked info, thanks for posting in Dubi.

How was the phenotypes with above average quality ?

flowering shorter/longer or is it "simply" Cannabinoid content / composition which make them apart ?

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
I have found great quality in the early flowering phenos (around 9.5 weeks) and also in the longer flowering ones as well (the ones that need around 11-12 weeks of flowering to mature).

Remember the Oaxacan 79 line was/is a S1 landrace line so i had to discard many weak, low vigorous or undesirable mutants plants, but the few ones that made it really worth the effort.

Even the average quality Oaxacans are pretty good (great if you compare them with other P1 landrace sativas) but fortunately there are many special plants to be found in the line that really stand out.

I mainly decide which parental plants to keep for breeding by doing myself smoking tests for at least 3-6 months of curing, in order to evaluate how the curing process also affects the aromas and effects.

The analysis for cannabinoid and terpene content will be extra complementary info that not only will be useful for us but also for the growers and for landrace lovers interested to learn more about these great classic sativa lines.

Last edited:

Ollie

Veteran
Thanks for clarifying, its invaluable information and a blessing to the community, to get such information posted.

Looking forward to where this will be going, maybe a Oaxaca 79 x Nepal Jam F6 as a little side project ..

Big up

B

Baron Greenback

That sounds great dubi - another one for the ever growing list of wanted seeds :)