What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Silica! Gen200 control vs homemade nettles tea in Organic soil grow

fonzee

Weed Cannasaur
Veteran
Hello ladies! (and gentlemen)

Today I'm starting a new experiment I thought some of you might be interested in - Silica supplements evaluation.

There are 3 treatments:
1. Control
2. Gen200 control used at the recommended ratio of 0.2ml per L once per week
3. FPE (Fermented Plant Extract) of Stinging Nettles (Urtica dioica) picked from my yard, blended and let to ferment for 1 week before the beginning of this experiment, used at a ratio of 5ml per L by spraying once a week.

The test will be done on 3 fairly similar, heavily root-bound, Golden Diesel 68 (Chemdog x Sour Diesel F3, cut #68) cuts currently residing in small cups.
All are currently being prepared for a transplant to their final pots (3.5L) by drenching their soil in rain water with endomycorrhizae innoculum.

Meanwhile the medium for the plants is being prepared by mixing:
5L used soil (recycled for a year, recipe could be estimated by my other journals)
5L forest floor compost from Schwarzwald
2 cups of pelleted horse poop currently rehydrating in rain water
4 teaspoons (1 tablespoon?) of chalk for calcium

Plants will go in 3.5L square pots and as quickly as possible move to flower to keep short.

Parameters that will be evaluated are:
1. Water stress susceptibility
2. Waxy appearance of leaves
3. Insect susceptibility
4. Rate of growth
5. Yield

The main problems with this test plan are:
1. No repeats for the treatments
2. Using small pots with organic growing techniques meant for much bigger pots - this will be unbiased by flowering the plants as early as possible
3. Non-identical clones - this will be unbiased by topping the plants to match the smallest plant before flowering

So, this is day 1:
attachment.php

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 50

fonzee

Weed Cannasaur
Veteran
After transplant and watering with half dose nettles tea, kelp and fresh homemade ewc slurry

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 45

fonzee

Weed Cannasaur
Veteran
Yesterday all plants got a drench of 100-150ml of 1:7 diluted compost tea with forest floor compost, mycos, humics and apple juice and a spray of the the solution.

fonzee

Weed Cannasaur
Veteran
All plants were trimmed to one branch and got nettles foliar spray. Pictures will start once healthy growth is achieved with all plants.

samisomo

Interesting subject.
Can you explain more on the water stress susceptibility with silica?
And how do you test waxy appearance?

I cheer for #3 :)

gertnaerd

:tiphat:
i will take a seat. some years ago i used mineral magic for silicate . now its gen200 control here also. i heard gen200 is made by the same people who do things for aptus . just some info...ihope you are fine with that. all the best:biggrin:

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
All plants were trimmed to one branch and got nettles foliar spray. Pictures will start once healthy growth is achieved with all plants.
Possibly I am being my too stoned self but I am not understanding.
Two posts in a row mentions 'all plants' getting a spray, the quote above mentions nettles by name.

Am I misreading or are the control and gen200 not labeled and separate?

This side by side is of great interest as the highly alkaline system I am currently using does not seem to be taken up by the plants.

fonzee

Weed Cannasaur
Veteran
Possibly I am being my too stoned self but I am not understanding.
Two posts in a row mentions 'all plants' getting a spray, the quote above mentions nettles by name.

Am I misreading or are the control and gen200 not labeled and separate?

This side by side is of great interest as the highly alkaline system I am currently using does not seem to be taken up by the plants.
They plants have been grown back to proper shape.
They received compost tea, nettles tea and a few more organic remedies.
Couldn't start the test earlier as the plants weren't level in size or shape.

But now they are much more in shape and haven't used the nettles for 2-3 weeks.

The experiment will start today.
All 3 plants were transplanted to 10L as I had some extra open space and it would be much more representative to what people use than a 3.5L pot.
The soil used to fill the pots is my used soil, well mixed. It was holding a lot of water and have great structure. Many many earthworms.

Once the plants will need watering they will get:
Gen200 - drench with gen200
Nettles - spray with nettles and drench with water
Control - drench with water

From then Gen200 will get gen200 with every watering, Nettles will get a spray every 7 days. Nettles and control will get water.

Might be some more things getting in, like compost teas and comfrey FPE

Not trying to isolate the cause for the difference, just trying to see how it works in a fairly basic organic system, including all the variables.

Anyway, here we are today, with a nice spot opening in my flower tent that all plants get fairly equal amount of light:
attachment.php

Attachments

• 3 - day 1 of 12_12.jpg
    3 - day 1 of 12_12.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 47

fonzee

Weed Cannasaur
Veteran
Recovering well, didn't need watering yet

attachment.php

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 44

juzsumguy

just to let you know for german users or european:

Actisil by Yarra 1l ~ 70€, 2,4%Orthosilicic acid = 0,6% Si

Gen200 Control by idontknowwhatsmalldipshitcompany ~250 €, 2,4%Orthosilicic Acid = 0,8% Si.

Gen200 contains also trace elements zink and bor if im correct. These have not shown to be beneficial with Orthosilicic acid. So if they are in you bottle or not doesn't make a difference. I got quite some info from Yarra about Actisil.

My tip: buy Yarra Actisil, use 0,25 ml/L instead of 0,2ml/L and still save ~180€, that comes in handy for hardware or electrical bills. 250€ for 1l bottle of Gen200 or Fascilator from aptus? gtfo.

ah did i mention that actisil is made based on the same patented formula and process as gen200 claims? well if not you know that now.

fonzee

Weed Cannasaur
Veteran
attachment.php

And here we start :-D
First watering after the flip, each plant got its dose.

I hope for 3 more doses with the nettles.

Welcome :woohoo:
just to let you know for german users or european:

Actisil by Yarra 1l ~ 70€, 2,4%Orthosilicic acid = 0,6% Si

Gen200 Control by idontknowwhatsmalldipshitcompany ~250 €, 2,4%Orthosilicic Acid = 0,8% Si.

Gen200 contains also trace elements zink and bor if im correct. These have not shown to be beneficial with Orthosilicic acid. So if they are in you bottle or not doesn't make a difference. I got quite some info from Yarra about Actisil.

My tip: buy Yarra Actisil, use 0,25 ml/L instead of 0,2ml/L and still save ~180€, that comes in handy for hardware or electrical bills. 250€ for 1l bottle of Gen200 or Fascilator from aptus? gtfo.

ah did i mention that actisil is made based on the same patented formula and process as gen200 claims? well if not you know that now.
Good info. I got my sample for free and still comparing orthosilicate additives to easily obtained plants extract that are 0 euro.
If the Gen200 will give better results it will call for further comparison of other Si additives.

Thanks for joining :)

I'll be curious about this one fonzee, used the Gen200 myself for some while.
Welcome my friend :tiphat:

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 49

fonzee

Weed Cannasaur
Veteran
I am sorry to inform I will not keep this experiment going.
There have been too many problems so far to get a fair result and there weren't nearly enough applications to make a significant difference.
Plus, I don't have time to regularly attend the grow (let alone update the diary).

The plants will still be grown in pretty much the same way and a final sum-up will be posted after harvest.

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
Sorry to hear about that but thanks for the heads up. It's not one of those threads that just faded off into oblivion without a final word from the OP. :yes:

Latest posts

Latest posts