What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Neem as a Soil Conditioner

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
In a different thread we were discussing if neem seed meal influences taste of cannabis--https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=291472 and I presented a study that concluded azadirachtin has systemic attributes with detectable residual levels in root, foliage and stem 50 days after soil application.

Go to this link to request a copy of that study--https://cfs.nrcan.gc.ca/publications/email-pdf/22507?ref=L3B1YmxpY2F0aW9ucz9pZD0yMjUwNw== The Canadian Forest Service will email a pdf version at no cost.

Uptake, translocation, persistence and fate of azadirachtin in aspen plants (Populus tremuloides Michx.) and its effect on pestiferous two-spotted spider mite (Tetranychus urticae Koch). 1995. Sundaram, K.M.S.; Campbell, R.A.; Sloane, L.; Studens, J.A. Crop Protection 14(5): 415-421.

Team Microbe

Veteran
Great info Eclipse! I often tell folks to quit drenching with neem as well at the beginning of flower (for the same reasons). My buddy drenched when he had aphids on day 60 of flowering and swore he didn't taste anything bad, but it was his first grow so I'm not sure if he's tasted clean herb to be able to accurately compare the two. I'd rather not take my chances though, glad more people are making this fact known

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
You know Team, since neem has over 100 compounds--and it seems that azadirachtin is most researched; one has to wonder what about the "other 99 compounds"?

Not saying neem is bad (neem oil & Azatrol are on my shelf...but not part of my "feeding routine" nor do I incorporate neem meal as a soil amendment) but sometimes I think neem has been "oversold".

sorry for the silly question but can someone recommend a product that is emulsified neem?

all the stuff i find are just pure neem oil. can i just add an emulsifier? if so, which one and how much?

Team Microbe

Veteran
sorry for the silly question but can someone recommend a product that is emulsified neem?

all the stuff i find are just pure neem oil. can i just add an emulsifier? if so, which one and how much?

You want the pure neem oil though, considering you're using this to fend off/prevent pests/diseases that is...

It can easily be emulsified with a few drops of Dr. Bronner's soap or this stuff called Agsil16H (fancy name for potassium silicate). The silica is great in it's own and I use that every other watering for the most part, so the fact that it acts as an emulsifier is a 2 for 1. I've found that emulsifying neem is hard however, unless you have a blender or a work out shaker cup (with the steel ball inside of it). That's what I use, just fill it half up with water, add 1 tbsp of neem oil per gallon of spray, and 5ml of Agsil16H. Shake for 15 seconds and it's good to go, neem doesn't have a chance to stay together after that.

I get my neem oil and potassium silicate from buildasoil.com, they've lasted me for over a year now

Bongstar420

Straight from the big bad gubmints mouf:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12852622

Seems like proof to me

This also seems like a powerful tool in the correct hands.

Systemic neem in the foliage should be looked at as a booster to make an actual spray work better.

I suspect 1 strong dose of systemic neem + 1 strong spray of Avid 5 days later will decimate mites 99.9%. Havent tried it since standard mite are passe to me since they are easily found. I am having difficulty with the *unseen* monsters

Don't use imida...unless you like super mite. Google it. Learn the lesson: one spray may kill one bug and enhance another

Freebies:
http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0020018
http://aenews.wsu.edu/Jan02AENews/DavidJames/DavidJamesPDF.pdf

Just do me a favor. Do not profit off this, do not buy less from professional growers as a consequence of this, and do not give freebies away that results in less buying from the recipients.

Why should deserving folk share their insights with people who's only interest is to ruin their ability to make a profit?

Your neem seed meal maybe the byproduct of neem pesticide manufacturing.

ozzie, do you have any info that proves categorically that neem is systemic? ive never been able to find any, and whilst the neem seed meal protects against soil borne pests it doesnt stop me getting mites.

VG

Last edited:
Neem - the most verstatile tree in the world.

Neem - the most verstatile tree in the world.

Neem is amazing stuff - i didn't realise so many people think it has detrimental effects like taste etc. I use neem cake in soil (as part of a fert mix) as it gives decent npk, helps rid nasty fungus (but not good ones) adds humus and helps keep the nasties away. On my outside plants the ones with neem in get attacked but don't stay attacked.
I also spray neem oil with yucca extract and that sorts out any nasty attack if needed and I had my one and only spider mite attack on an indoor grow in the last 2 weeks 2 grows back, gave a strong dose of neem oil soil drench and they were gone in a couple of days and obv no effect on taste!
It's a great anti fungal for nail infections as well!

Latest posts

Latest posts