What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

new kessil LED light

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
anyone see this yet?

price is high, but would be good for supplement or for some small veg plants, or who knows, get inventive, they are small it looks like so you can hang them wherever or do whatever... 35 watt I believe. not sure one what leds used or anything..

please share thoughts, opinions, anything on this light

Last edited by a moderator:

SupraSPL

Interesting light to examine. It claims to use 21 LED chips with input power of 34 watts. If we assume a 90% efficient driver and a 3 watt fan it might dissipate 28 watts. That is about 1.3 watts per LED, similar to many on the market.

One concern is that it packs all this light into a small footprint, eliminating one of LED advantages which is to spread light evenly. Another concern is the lack of white LEDs. Some strains need white for the trichs to mature on time. White is commonly added and shown improved results. Finally I wonder about the efficiency of the LEDs used, they make no mention of it so I would assume the worst, especially for the 660s.

At $250 we would be paying $9 per dissipation watt which is almost double the typical cost.

smokefrogg

Veteran
it sounds intriguing, but the cost and only 1 spectrum as well as such low wattage being used kind of makes me wary, seems like a mixed spectrum kessil would be a better option right?

loop1337

i cant belive to get the chips cooled well on such a small space, and of course 250$ for 30 watt support lamp?? but the lamp looks nice :D
a very funny quote from the kessil hp, they invested 30 million dollar and five years to develope the led..... for sure !!!!mwahahahahah

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have a kessil grow going on, not concluded as I want to run some more tests to try and maximize the light potential

you can find it in the autoflower section, as I'm to tired to find it right now..

S

sm0k4

No way in hell I would buy one of those. 30W in that small of a space would be too much heat generated even with a fan. The junction temp will greatly affect the output and efficiency of the LEDs. The spectrum looks to be lacking white also as Supra mentioned. Cannabis grows better with a full spectrum, why these LED manufacturers don't understand that is beyond me. Even if used as an added spectrum light it is pretty weak when considering price. Its just over priced any way you look at it. I'd like to see some plants flowered only with this light.

$250 for a measly 30 Watts? Get real.

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^ I am flowering with it if you looked at my post above yours

I sent an email to kessil about white led's.. they say there testing has proved no difference to add white LED.. that's what they said to me

yes, $250 might be alot, but if you know, there are some micro growers here, that grow in PC's, which I think this would be suited for, maybe clones ( never did it yet ) or side lighting.. I do believe they have a ways to go with this but for experimenters it is a good tool I believe, as no one has done a micro LED like this before

analogue

One concern is that it packs all this light into a small footprint, eliminating one of LED advantages which is to spread light evenly.

I was wondering the same thing about Kessil. But a more focused light distribution should have deeper penetration through foliage.

The area coverage is demonstrated here as being a circle of .52 meter diameter (about 18 inches) from a height clearance of 40 cm. (about 16 inches).

I currently use a 150w HPS to cover a smaller size space (15" x 15" = 1.5 sq. ft.)

Also the beam angle is it really 33 degrees or is it 2 x 33 = 66?

Highlighter

ring that bell
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm close to pulling the trigger on the 350 magenta for supplemental lighting in my flower tent. :chin:

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
A 60 degree beam (30 each side) is close to what is being described.
A 30 degree angle would go out one inch for every two inches it goes down. So a 60 degree beam would double that.
Going down 18 inches would go out 18 inches, there is the circle.
HGL makes high watt multi-color units with the 60 degree beam, powerful penetration, small footprint. Like the Kessell, not cheap at all.

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Check out the new Lumibar from Lumigrow before you buy any more LED lights :)

It's 4 feet long with a coverage 18" wide (which is a foot and a half, not bad!) and 175 watts of LED joy from the best in the biz :joint:

I'm guessing two or three of these in a 4 or 5 foot long tent would simply rock based on my excellent experiences with their 330 ES lights :rtfo:

paladin420

FACILITATOR
Veteran
Local grow store had a kissil set up in a micro tent over a jade plant.. I watched it go from 1 leaf to a very respectable plant.. Very healthy and green.. Not my thing, but was damned impressed..my .02

woolybear

Veteran
420giveaway
Check out the new Lumibar from Lumigrow before you buy any more LED lights :)

It's 4 feet long with a coverage 18" wide (which is a foot and a half, not bad!) and 175 watts of LED joy from the best in the biz :joint:

I'm guessing two or three of these in a 4 or 5 foot long tent would simply rock based on my excellent experiences with their 330 ES lights :rtfo:

Interesting, $799 for 175 watts, not bad for the price. Can you only buy them from lumigrow? Brand new product, probably no price drop any time soon.

Womdering what its HID equivalent is, roughly.. they say the lumigrow es = 600w, so this one = around 300w?

lumibar-white-bg-web.jpg

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
I would purchase one of the Lumigrow red LED flowering spotlights before I bought an expensive Kessil light.

-Funk

SOTF420

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I can't speak for them on equivalents, but obviously the 175 watts of LED light would be spread out over 4 feet long so I would only go with something like that if it was two or three stacked side by side personally and opt for the added 740 nm option if you are going to flower under them. For clones or veg only one would be just great I'm sure although 2 is always better. ;)

I think they had some kind of special intro price going on the Lumibars might have been $100 off or something. If you want a deal best bet is to call them they are cool and just like on other products I'm sure they can hook it up if you buy more than one. They really do look promising though I want 4 of them! Two Lumigrow ES 330's in the middle side by side and a 4 foot Lumibar 175 watt in each corner (vertical) packed with giant frosty Sweet Tooth plants with monstrous top colas, baseball sized lower buds and solid grapefruit sized resin drenched middle nugs from all the LED side lighting. :biggrin:

That would be some seriously high all LED light levels in say a 5 foot long by 4 foot wide tent and could grow some insanely big 4 foot tall full sized plants, power usage total would only be like 1360 watts too for all those lights together! :thinking: :good:

Highlighter

ring that bell
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Got the Kessil 350 Magenta yesterday. What I don't like right off is the short cord length, probably 8ft. Couldn't hang it where I wanted w/o an extension cord.
Really quiet fan, you think it's not working. It's truly magenta.

Hung over an A11 that's getting 600w hps vertical love too. (Just getting the LED here.)
We'll see how she goes against the girls w/o.

SOTF420

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Quality post dude :good: Hope she works out nicely for ya! :canabis: +K

Hmmm...I am just a guy with a calculator..But the 17 watt Lumibulb Red (lumigrow) at $165.00 is $9.71 per watt. The Kessel 36 watt H150-Red @ 195.00 (Hydrosource) is $5.41 per watt. The Lumigrow 165 watt is $4.24 per watt and the 175 watt lumibar is $4.57 per watt. The 90 watt Kessil H350 is $4.05 per watt(Hydrosource(ebay store)). Of course prices will vary from vendor to vendor, but I fail see why Lumigrow's products are a good price and Kessil's are expensive. They seem pretty comparable to me.....

Latest posts

Latest posts