What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Arduino based plant watering system using Soil Moisture Sensors

epicseeds

I feel like this is the holy grail of watering systems for coco - a digital blumat!

[YOUTUBEIF]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0WRY56i8RA[/YOUTUBEIF]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0WRY56i8RA

Here is another video with really good editing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_Q1WKCtWiA

Many respected coco growers here claim coco's true potential is unleashed with multiple feedings per day, keeping the moisture consistent.

Some even have found that you don't need runoff with a multifeed system.

The above video shows a system where actual moisture levels can be constantly monitored and recorded. When the coco hits a specifically defined moisture level, a dripper system can be activated.

Anyone here ever make something like this?

I have never soldered or coded a thing in my life but I make computers/servers for a living and am up for the task. Just trying to find a set of detailed instructions for it. Most other projects with arduino growing bots seem to revolve around climate control.

Thescot

The project is certainly doable but in my experience the Arduino moisture sensors are not to acurate. Often they just have a open/closed circuit with a potentiometer to adjust. I use a photon (Arduino with wifi) for monitoring environment it also has a nice development environment for people new to coding. Another issue may be the amount of units you would need to build. Which would include multiple arduinos. In most cases following k.i.s.s. is the way to go. Ive had great luck with blumats and Coco.

Carlz0r

I'm currently in the process of automating a micro-grow using a TI CC3200 launchpad microcontroller as well as a variety of sensors for soil moisture, temperatures, humidity, etc. The plan is to have it serve a simple webpage so that I can monitor my plants from wherever.

ridoo

give a look to Grove sensors and shield
it's very simple to use, you can design whatever you want
the coding is not that hard

i assembled and coded a simple thermometer with ldc display and a led alert if temp goes above 25°C and screen change color from green to red in same time...lol...just wanted to test things okay :)

all this took me 4hours, and i'm not electrician nor electronician neither a coding guy

OakyJoe

OGJoe / Wiener und kein Allemann
Veteran
i've tested a few different moisture meter sensors so far the last months & years...

from crazy cheap to expensive ones there isnt a HUGE difference to em... from what i've seen there a 3 different basic models...

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Alright thank you for the info! I just picked up a kit so I'm excited to try a bunch of stuff out and I noticed all the reviews for the moisture sensors said they sucked hard.

OakyJoe

Veteran
FC-28
soil-moisture-sensor.jpg

YL-69
New-Arrival-YL-69-Soil-Hygrometer-Humidity-Detection-Module-Soil-Moisture-Water-Sensor-For-Arduino-10PCS.jpg

HL-69
20160419143833_74082.jpg

Analog Capacitive Soil Moisture Sensor- Corrosion Resistant
(This product measures soil moisture levels by capacitive sensing, rather than resistive sensing like other types of moisture sensor. It is made of a corrosion resistant material giving it a long service life. Insert it into soil and impress your friends with the real-time soil moisture data!)
6W4A8528-450x300.jpg

Gravity: Analog Soil Moisture Sensor For Arduino
0468-450x300.jpg

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
The top 3 are the trash kinds that lose their electrical connections in a week, from my understanding. That 4th one looks promising, but some of the reviews for it mention it stops giving meaningful voltages within a month or two. I think it's just really hard to make something that is electrically capacitive but also have it survive in the soil we use which is chock full of "stuff". Thank you though I will check out that dfrobot gravity for sure!

OakyJoe

Veteran
The top 3 are the trash kinds that lose their electrical connections in a week, from my understanding

this is what i also have figured out... they also doesnt work that precise...

OakyJoe

Veteran
It's weird that all the soil meters use prongs, like a metal stake, but all the arduino addons use like a printed circuit board. I bet somebody could make a decent one if they used the metal spike method. This guy has a video and he agrees with you on that fourth one being the best.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udmJyncDvw0

indeed some interesting comments on this video :) thanks for sharing!

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Mostly the built in mathlab stuff on thingspeak.com. I did sign up for another one that I didn't use yet lemme find the email. AnswerMiner.com was the other one. I also really like ifttt.com it lets you set conditionals, so like you can have it fire off an email or send an SMS if your temperatures go above/below certain amounts, or any other data you have like humidity/moisture/co2/etc.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Tensiometer. Water retention curve.

Far too often we find ourselves trying to re-invent things that are standard in traditional agricultural. If these devices can trigger a well pump to irrigate hundreds to thousands of acres, then they can be utilized in our gardens as well.

dank.Frank

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway

Latest posts

Latest posts