What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hammerheads HK x TK, BOD 1/6/18

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Its gonna be awhile before plants are big enough for a update. The ones I have are only 6" tall. Mine are older then his.

onavelzy

Veteran

Its gonna be awhile before plants are big enough for a update. The ones I have are only 6" tall. Mine are older then his.

OK, chronology first:
1/11/18 seeds dropped in water
1/12/18 first seed showed root tip
1/13/18 four rooted seeds put into rooting plugs
1/19/18 four rooted plants put into solo cups
2/4/18 four plants up potted to 3L air pots (22 days after being planted)

Here's how they looked in the cups about two days ago. Kinda light green overall, maybe I was being too cautious with the nutrient concentrations.

picture.php

picture.php

I moved them into these air pots that evening. I know the pots look too big for plants that size, but these are only 3 liter pots. The roots were coiling around the bottom of the cups so I thought they were ready to move up. I usually would go from solo cups to 1/2 g pots. The air pots look bigger than the amount of medium they really hold. I think they'll be ok. They didn't droop or show any other signs of stress after the transplant.

picture.php

picture.php

We'll see how they do. I anticipate bumping up my EC mildly. They were getting 0.5 when they were just getting going in the rooters. In the solos, I used 1.0. I'll try 1.1 to 1.2 with a good bump of Epsom salts for cal/mag/sulfur.

I'm undecided on whether I should let them veg and flower untopped to see the true growth pattern vs do the usual early top and second or third top later to try and get six to eight heads going. I'm open to suggestions and discussion on any of this.

I haven't used any systemics and don't plan to unless some demon bug shows up in the other plants I have. The other clones I've brought in and treated with fungicide/miticide systemics have all taken it pretty hard. I don't want to shut these plants down. I will use spinosad as a preventative on occasion since I had thrips last summer come from who knows where.

In terms of over-all grow plans, I decided to grow just these four after all. When I was only able to get four plants, I debated slipping a run of my GG4's and some ECSD's in ahead of them. I could have done an early flip on those and been done in 9 weeks. These four would have had to be topped if I did that though and would potentially be fairly big 2 months from now. So, these four seedlings are my crop and everything else is going to mom out for a while.

I'll probably root out cuts of the other strains that are waiting in line for tent time. I've been passing extra clones on to the hippies and surfers at Swamis from time to time. They're starting to recognize me there. The last set I dropped off disappeared in the time it took me to go back to my car for the last two plants.

The time it will take for these to get some initial root development going will give me the chance to work on problem solving. I need to take the time and set this flower tent up differently. I'm probably going to go with an enclosed fixture this time since I wasn't very stable with temps at the canopy the last round using the standard Grower's Choice open fixture (with safety shield over the bulb). I just need some advice from the folks who grow using the CMH DE's what fixture and ballast to go with. Please.

I'm also looking at putting the tray on a short platform that will allow me to drop a condensate pump under the tray and passively allow run off to go into that pump and be sent out to a waste bucket, ala Aspenou.

I'm undecided on how tall to get them before flipping. I only have a 7'9" tent ceiling and if I put in a platform under the tray to allow passive drainage, I'll lose probably at least 5-6 inches. The degree of stretch is as yet unknown so I'll plan on at least 2x

I think I'll veg in these 3L pots and then move them into the next airpot up, which is a 2.4 g container to use as the final pot. The next size after that is a 3.3 g pot but I think if I vegged in that until well rooted, the plants would get too large for this 5x5x7.75 tent. Plus, I don't know if they make panty hose large enough to fit around those larger airpots, lol.

For now, I'm vegging them in my clone/mom/veg closet under light bulb LED's. Once they get reasonably rooted and I get some fixes done with the tent, I'll move them in for another week or so of growth under the CMH bulb and then flip.

OK, that's your up-date. As Hammer said, they are growing steady but definitely not racehorses so far.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
here ya go. I had 5 but didnt have the room for them all so I picked the 2 biggest plants.. The larger plant was just topped.

picture.php

picture.php

onavelzy

Veteran
Update, D 21 in 3L pots

Update, D 21 in 3L pots

Well, I guess it should go without saying that Hammerhead's phenos are far healthier looking than mine.

Mine have looked very washed out and mag deficient since they were in solo cups. I opted to let the 3L pots dry out before re-feeding with a higher nutrient percentage. Because the plants were pretty small relative to the pot size, it took a while for the roots to take up enough moisture to re-water. It led to them being closer to yellow than green. I bumped up to 1.2-1.3 at the most recent watering. I've also been misting with the V+B Push foliar spray and they are starting to darken somewhat. But nothing as delicious looking as Hammer's. Mine are also moving slowly. They have begun to jump a little in the last week but they are not huge. My hand is in the photos to provide a size reference.

Pheno's one through four, side view:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

As you can see, pheno 4 is the most vigorous and the least affected by the apparent calmag deficiency

onavelzy

Veteran
HK x TK, d 21 in 3L pots, top down view

HK x TK, d 21 in 3L pots, top down view

not the best pics. Sorry. I'm not there now to retake them so this will have to do for now.

phenos one through four:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I'm going to bump up to feeding concentration again and I'll water earlier than I would typically do to try to get them back to a healthier metabolism as soon as possible. I'll also alternate the Push foliar with straight epsom foliar.

I know a few folks who use V+B have mentioned they've gone to something besides V+B in the veg phase. I add a pretty good dose of Epsom salts to each gallon of nutrients, almost a half a teaspoon per gallon So, I may try a different approach in veg next grow, depending on how these do going forward.

I'm guessing HH has got to be slapping his forehead and asking why he sent me those seeds. I'm working on it. We'll see how they do in the next couple of weeks. I think they will continue to jump as their roots fill out in these larger pots. Stay tuned.

onavelzy

Veteran
They will bounce back man, just don't over think / do it, and k.i.s.s.
I'll be tagging along for this!

Thanks for the kind words RR. I'm comfortable with how resilient the plant can be. I just need to give them room and a better environment to do their thing

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
not the best pics. Sorry. I'm not there now to retake them so this will have to do for now.

phenos one through four:

View Image

View Image

View Image

View Image

I'm going to bump up to feeding concentration again and I'll water earlier than I would typically do to try to get them back to a healthier metabolism as soon as possible. I'll also alternate the Push foliar with straight epsom foliar.

I know a few folks who use V+B have mentioned they've gone to something besides V+B in the veg phase. I add a pretty good dose of Epsom salts to each gallon of nutrients, almost a half a teaspoon per gallon So, I may try a different approach in veg next grow, depending on how these do going forward.

I'm guessing HH has got to be slapping his forehead and asking why he sent me those seeds. I'm working on it. We'll see how they do in the next couple of weeks. I think they will continue to jump as their roots fill out in these larger pots. Stay tuned.

LMAO,,,, You gotta grow to learn. I still use PBP in veg. I'm not a coco grower.

U should grow in soil. Its much more forgiving. U will do much better.

picture.php

onavelzy

Veteran
LMAO,,,, You gotta grow to learn. I still use PBP in veg. I'm not a coco grower.

U should grow in soil. Its much more forgiving. U will do much better.

View Image

I've been thinking along those lines as well. For this run, coco is the way but after it's done, I will probably give soil a try. Coco just seemed the simplest way to start out.

~star~crash~

lot of peep make coco work for them ... lots of peeps have constant issues with coco

just like everything else has its advantages and disadvantages .. i've always used soil & peat & perlight mix's to various degrees...it seems like things can go south real quick in 100% coco ...soil is 100% more forgiving ??? i don't know the answer

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
coco is great, I wouldn't recommend it to any new growers. Takes a bit more effort and will not take mistakes well.