What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

H3ad goes Coco

G

Grat3fulh3ad said:
That OE cut will be around a long time to come... Killer smoke and an awesome breeding parent, what more can ya ask for...

On a side note... I also have two more new OE ladies from seed, and a killer looking male I'm gonna test cross to the ECSD cut....

Morning Head,

Glad to see you popped more of those seeds. I still can't believe the germ rate on those. I've got to check the dates, but they are getting up there in age. I've got three lone pack for myself. Roughly 45 seeds to give a look at. I'm glad you got some more females to look at and even better. A good male to cross also. Can't wait to hear and see the results of the ECSD cross. I'm sure that one will be a good one. Well, thanks for the info. Will be following the coco thread. I've used the Ready-Gro mix before my problems. It's a coco base medium and i liked it. This and other threads will help me and others. To make the change over if i go that route. Thanks for sharing your grow with us.
Take care,
BG

Rosy Cheeks

dancin' cheek to cheek
Veteran
Grat3fulh3ad said:
I have to humbly disagree on that point... Evidence seems to show larger yield per container size in coco.... Sure it is partially about rootmass size, but it is equally about how eficiently the roots can utilize the space they are filling....

Roots LOVE coco....

I agree with you that a porous light weight medium will allow for better root distribution, and more root space, but it all depends on the composition of the soil, or whatever medium you use.

I use both coco and BioBizz All-mix, which technically is soil (20% sphagnum peat moss, 35% garden peat, 10% organic Worm-Humus, 30% perlite and 5% Pre-Mix), and it's clear to me that I get slightly more impressive plants in the All-mix than the coco, as well as slightly higher yields, and less ph issues.
I still mix coco into the All-mix though, because of better water retention than the All-mix, and I love coco as a medium.

I just have to say things the way I see it, in my garden.

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
Rosy Cheeks said:
I agree with you that a porous light weight medium will allow for better root distribution, and more root space, but it all depends on the composition of the soil, or whatever medium you use.

I use both coco and BioBizz All-mix, which technically is soil (20% sphagnum peat moss, 35% garden peat, 10% organic Worm-Humus, 30% perlite and 5% Pre-Mix), and it's clear to me that I get slightly more impressive plants in the All-mix than the coco, as well as slightly higher yields, and less ph issues.
I still mix coco into the All-mix though, because of better water retention than the All-mix, and I love coco as a medium.

I just have to say things the way I see it, in my garden.
More ph issues with coco than peat? amazing... my experience has been quite the opposite... The coco affects the pH of my nute solution none at all, or very minutely at most...

G

There is absolutely no denying or arguing about Coco,it will beat most systems hands down,imo and from what I have seen,I think it could even give dwc a run as far as explosive growth.pictures dont lie,look around and youll see for yerself. :wave:
We are about to experiance a coco revolution on this planet and for good reason.

the protege

coco consists of at least 30% of my all organic mix, i add a little humus, ewc's, and maybe 10-20% peat, perlite, and then amend. I believe coco should be the base of any good soil/soil-less mix. It really allows the plants access to water without drowning them. Plus, it works well with my teas.... just thought I'd throw a couple coins

Ono Nadagin

Welcome to the CoCo forum GH :) we are damn glad ya decided to hang your hat here

also , imo tt is the increased amount of Cation exchange that give you better bigger plants in a smaller pot of coco

One other thing GH, you may want to watch out for the Epsom salts as Old Piculiar mentioned it has been used by several on this forum with horid restults... iirc the salt screws with teh cations in the coco and makes for lock ups.. I will see if I can didg up the old old post that discussed the science behind why not to use epsoms salts

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
Ono Nadagin said:
Welcome to the CoCo forum GH :) we are damn glad ya decided to hang your hat here

also , imo tt is the increased amount of Cation exchange that give you better bigger plants in a smaller pot of coco

One other thing GH, you may want to watch out for the Epsom salts as Old Piculiar mentioned it has been used by several on this forum with horid restults... iirc the salt screws with teh cations in the coco and makes for lock ups.. I will see if I can didg up the old old post that discussed the science behind why not to use epsoms salts
I'll keep that in mind about the epsom salts, but so far (30 days using them) all I see is healthy rapid growth.. I am aware of potential salt build ups, but since the nutrient I use is a mixture of chemical salts to begin with, and since I am very careful with the ratios and concentrations, I really don't expect any problems. 1g per gallon is a very low dose of epsom(less than a teaspoon in 5gallons)...

From what I understand with the cation exchange process, as it relates to the coco... Mg and Ca cations exchange with K and Na cations in the coco, causing the deficiencies in Mg and Ca to show up... the mix I'm using adresses this by providing enough Mg and Ca to allow for some Exchange, while limiting the K in the mix... knowing it will be released in the exchange... And of course in a nutrient solution with higher K, when the cation exchange takes place lockouts occur...

I would be interested in reading whatever you've got on the subject, and if any problems develop the epsoms will be looked at first...

So far so good...

-VT-

Voluptuous Trichomes
Veteran
GH nutes work well in coco....

GH nutes work well in coco....

....as illustrated by your pics :D
Grat3fulh3ad said:
I have also seen advantage in keeping the coco fairly wet, I'm guessing that the coco holds the nutes so well, that as moisture evaporates out, concentrations rise...
I think you're on to something there...I agree....and it's exascerbated if using pure coir ....but I dunno, really...just an uneducated guess :D....I've never tried the Lucas formula....but I have tried GH chem nutes in a coco premix from Botanicare (cut with hydrotron)....good nutes...GH nutes are clean :joint:
This should be a good show :D Gonna tag this one and learn.....welcome to the coco forum

:wave:

G

Welcome to the Coco forum Mr and Mrs Head!

Looks great so far, I am very curious to see how the Lucas formula works out for you as it sure is alot cheaper than the A and B from Canna. Are you using any supplements, either the coco specifics or other? What kind of Coco mix do you have going, just pure or did you add anything to it? I'm in about 75% Coco and 25% coarse perlite, with hydroton in the bottom of my pots to keep the daily watering mess down to a min. I just picked up some G33 bx2's and will be sprouting them in a couple weeks once my order comes in, how have they fed for you in the past? Can't wait to see some more pics, your mrs is very handy with that camera, have a good one :wave:

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
Hi Grat3fulh3ad

wow i can't believe i missed this thread till now. it's great to see you figure your own approach to feeding in coco. will be cool to have another example of successfully growing in coco with non specific nutrients. it's gonna be interesting, i'm reserving this seat :D

great work so far, peace :wave:

truecannabliss

TrueCanna Genetics - Selection is art
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Great to see ya doing so well with the coco already, i knew you would love it and i cant wait to see those girls deep in flower.
Peace

T

tricky

great to see more ppl seeing how good cocco is you will love it

and reuseable ................. how ya goin gr3ats :wave: :wave:

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
-VT- said:
This should be a good show :D Gonna tag this one and learn.....welcome to the coco forum

:wave:
It's gonna be a fun thread as we learn together...

SuperNuck... The coco I get is in a 12inch x 12inch x 6inch brick and has no lable...I'm using the coco all by itself, and just the micro/bloom/epsom solution mentioned earlier... If I'd seen coco nutes at the shop, I might have picked some up... but I saw none, and am fairly familiar with the genhydro, so am going this route...

Highyas to Truecannabliss, Gaius, Indica Sativa, Tricky, Protoge, Red, and any of you guys I missed... Thanks for checking my grow, Stay tuned much more to come...

M

mosca negra

Grateful-- you look to be dialing in the wonderful coco very quickly. I have used it for 3 years and love it. I do like aeritating the coco a bit-- about 30%. Roots love to breathe.

Peace,

Mosca

AbaZabba

Hey H3ad,

Gotta love the coco eh, welcome aboard. After only a little over a half grow of this stuff I think i have already decided I'll be using this stuff for quite some time, it's so forgiving and the growth rate is phenominal. pH hardly ever moves after recirc dripping for weeks even without pre-flushing the coco (guess it was good luck or pre-buffered coco)

Anywho, your ladies look great as usual and I cant wait to see them pack on the weight here in the upcoming weeks :woohoo:

G

Great grow there, god this coco forum simply rocks now a days.
I´m watching :lurk:

Peace :D

brah

oldpeculiar - that plant in the folgers can is AWESOME!!! :yoinks:

rosy cheeks - what pH issues are you having? like aba said, we've had trouble getting ours to budge anywhere but 5.8 - 6.0 the entire time...sometimes letting the res wait two weeks.

Hello H3ad,

Your plants look great, no burn or def that I can see at all.

Are you using r/o water? Also are you flushing on a regular basis or at all?

Thanks for the inspiration, after my batch of soil is finished I plan on using coco, some watered like your doing and some in a dwc.

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
Chuckleberry said:
Hello H3ad,

Your plants look great, no burn or def that I can see at all.

Are you using r/o water? Also are you flushing on a regular basis or at all?

Thanks for the inspiration, after my batch of soil is finished I plan on using coco, some watered like your doing and some in a dwc.
Thanks chuck... I'll get a pic where you can see size, and post it up in a bit...

Using tap water... No flushing, that's part of my nute strategy, keep the ppm just low enough that flushing is unnecessary... up untill the plant is finishing, anyhow, gotta flush then... will use tap water run thru a pur water filter...

Latest posts

Latest posts