What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dutch Passion - Mekong High - Smoke/Grow Notes

creativesmoke

Hi everyone, just thought I would do a quick write up on this strain as there doesn't seem to be any information on it.

Mekong High
75 % sativa - 25 % indica

It was grown in a 10L pot using Coco and Canna nutrients, under 1000w's of HPS light, it was never the centre of the show and spent 12 weeks flowering in the corner partially shaded by other plants and the main tops of the plant sitting above the lights due to height restriction, flowered at around 1 foot tall she ended up around 5.5ft by the end of flower. She managed to yield 3.5oz of Sativa buds despite the less then perfect conditions. Between week 10 to 12 is when the buds started packing the weight on definitely not a 9 week flowering strain from seed as Dutch Passion claim.

The main things we noticed were that it has huge growth potential, every single branch had a host of buds right down to the pot where they were fully shaded. Outdoors in the right conditions would produce huge harvests per plant, it just wanted to outgrow everything.

Smell - Soft skunk like smell with complex aroma's, slightly floral. Very smelly when ground up.

Taste - This strain tasted good after a week drying and was smooth after 7 days. I've had it in the jars for about 7 weeks now and it keeps getting better. It tastes pretty much how it smells, the taste seems to be more present then the other strains I have tried so far.

Effects - With the 7 week cure this stuff is real strong now, seems to have the edge over the White Widow and Silver Haze that was done at the same time! Takes around 15 minutes till you get into the thick of the high. It starts around the eyes and pretty much stays there for 3 hours, no body stone at all, I can go lie down and go on a magical journey but easily get up and answer the door if need be. Sort of like a selective high, but really powerful when you close your eyes and take it in. Soaring high is a perfect way to describe the first hour. Not good to smoke before bed! :)

Heres some pics of one of the main tops, not great as I only have a camera phone!

Overall a good strain, a bit hard to manage indoors unless you have plenty of height but not too bad for a Sativa.

Also that's a standard UK envelope in the pictures.

Bionic

Cautiously Optimistic
Veteran
Thanks so much for the report! I've had my eye on these beans for far too long now. You just swayed me in favor. Cheers!

the END

Awesome Report Dude!
I have some Pure Mekong seeds, that I hadn't found much info on. Really nice to see what a Mekong Hybrid could turn into!

Lucky 7

I see Dutch P has a new auto flowering fem available. I am going all in for next season . . . thanks

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sounds and looks awesome. Wonder if it would be even better under mh to simulate equator sun.

VirginHarvester

Veteran
Very nice indeed. Those buds have that "******ly" landrace sativa look and your experience seems to match up well with what you would hope to get out of this strain.

creativesmoke

It certainly was a nice strain, all smoked up now :whistling:

Couple more things, when it was growing we were expecting a poor yield because the buds weren't very dense, similar to air bud you get lower down on plants. But when they were dry they never really lost any of their size and they seemed to get more dense as the cure went on.. and on weighing found it was the biggest yield we had achieved per plant :)

I think it would have been even better with some added MH but even without I found it was hard to get tolerant to even after smoking it every day for weeks. Only found one seed which was surprising as they had a fair amount of stress.

Mrs. 6 by 6 and you are right it does outgrow everything a little late to bloom even later than my massive Nigerians but as they say " almonds first to bloom last to bear fruit, cherries last to bloom , first to bear fruit.

Max Headroom

Veteran
i've grown mekong high recently but my run has been a big disappointment.
first they grew like crazy and put out huuuge fan leaves. then, after a few weeks in flower, a (suspected) magnesium deficiency started, which i was unable to get under control. it quickly progressed. i harvested at around 9-10 weeks - by that time all the lower leaves had crisped up and died and most of the ones up top were heavily affected. despite all these problems, the yield was surprisingly good, but the high unfortunately wasn't.
the (first) high is long lasting but very weak. you barely notice you have smoked something. increasing the dosage by a factor of 4 barely makes a difference. (which i find strange)
but here is the kicker - after 2 or 3 rounds this stuff totally puts me to sleep. i fight to stay awake - like a heavy indica (but without the strong high) it makes me pass out in front of the tv.

i grew 4 plants in soil under 400W HPS. (maybe they need much more light?)
i had to apply major bondage to keep them in check. i had some temp issues for a week or two, but nothing extreme. all 4 showed the same problems. all 4 have the same weak high.
2 other plants growning alongside (spoetnik) were completely unaffected and turned out well.

after this grow i've decided that i will not grow any more strains that haven't been on the market for at least 10 years. i'm glad your run turned out ok, creativesmoke, but fuck those new and untested genetics! (yes, yes, i know - it's always the breeder's fault, never the grower's) :D

K

K.O.Genetics

i grew Mekong high a while ago.. made some crosses of it .. realy amazing smoke honestly. ill post pictures as soon as I can !

K

K.O.Genetics

my Mekong high was dense and fruity turned purple hues wen flushing.

1TWISTEDTRUCKER

Veteran
Man that looks SOooo tasty. I looked at Seed Boutique and didn't see any 4 sale.
are they discontinued?
Would love to get um, and I have 10 foot ceilings, so She could stretch her legs a little.
Im drooling just thinking about Her.

Peace; 1TT

Jhhnn

Veteran
Nice report. Thank you.

I think tropical sativas really, really need intense lighting to do their best. It's just the way they are, genetically, & combined with the inverse square law, their tallish growth compounds the issue. Long flowering characteristics also mean they may not get much resin production until later on.

I may need to blow a kiss to my 1000w dual arc lamp. She's a honey, and a hard worker, too.

Max Headroom

Veteran
well i did read this info on the dp website before buying the seeds, but i ignored it.

Plenty of light.

The Doc underlined that his grow room was illuminated by the heavy light amount of 1,600 watts and that this was a one of his guarantees for bringing about such a high yield. Without a doubt, Mekong High requires plenty of light for producing such tremendous amounts of flowers.

i guess 400W really just isn't enough. too bad. before they got the def they were growing like crazy. (huge leaves as i mentioned: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=262055 )

seems for potency they need the goods.

It,s a greenhouse plant needs lots of light and little feeding like a haze and in Cali it is 95 during the day and 45 at night , this temperature variance, flushing and an extra 10 days I'm sure will give density, color to the budding and depth to a clear south east asian high , the best old school high is clear then creeper then psychedelic .

H

HerbScience

finishing time?

finishing time?

any opinion on when these would finish outside at latitude 23, hot summer, plenty of water and good soil

A

AlterEgo860

smoked this stuff few years back wen traded a friend.. got a few crosses of it from him also.. still have yet to pop em.

Latest posts

Latest posts