What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Organic Think Tank

al-k-mist

^^^ Said it better than I could.
The practice of creating base "soils" using peat, worm castings, and pumice or perlite, and then ammending it with such things as rock dust, alfalfa meal( 72 elements, or something, it is a plant nutrient accumulator, like comfrey or stnging nettles), Neem seed meal and karanja seed meal(pest resistance) Kelp (every grower uses kelp products, Im sure, but I mean kelp meal, from the feed store), etcetera
Not all growing organics requires the use of guano, or composted poo, except Earth Worm Castings.
I plan on doing a side by side this spring, maybe before then, with a non-organic line, a bottled organic line, and a home-made line, with what I am learning. (yes, I started on bottled organics, until I found out a lot isn't). I plan on using 2 or 3 clones of 2 different strains, just to make it more fair. It still wont be representative, with a small sample, but hopefully it will give me a TRUE indication whether FOR ME I would yield better/more/etc with bottles, which I still wont do, but still
To each their own, I prefer organic, non gmo, local stuff. Not because its cool or hip, but because "we dont own this world(although we act as if we did) its a loan from the children of our childrens kids..." (-brent)
Thanks for lettin me bee here
(~);}
Alchemist

Organic or Not ?

Organic or Not ?

That's open to debate. Ask a hundred growers and you'll get 100 different answers.

More to the point of the thread, why choose any organic, even if it is "the best organic fert known to man", when chem ferts are, more often than not, cheaper and easier to manage?

Well lets look at this like this. food waste converted to the proper nutrient profile for plant growth would be the best choice. It is reusing the nutrients that come from recycled food waste. The bacteria and fungi have already processed the organic matter into usable minerals that plants can use. I would think this would be best for environment and makes the most sense altogether to me. You could have a organic hydroponic system that you could run sterile. I bet you organic guys are like what is he talking about? Yes organic hydroponics without all the extra stinky crazy additives and all that work. Plants eat minerals. When you grow organic what is your goal, for the organic matter to be broken down by bacteria and fungi and converted into minerals. Basically carbon to usable minerals. The perfect hydroponic nutrient is food scraps broken down into usable minerals in a profile that our plants like. Check it out ! Google food to fertilizer. There are companies that are making hydroponic nutrients now. Its in the beginning stages. This will prevent a lot of food from being dumped in the landfills. We all should help this cause and grow organic to boot. No need to mine minerals if we have the resources that we are wasting now to get those same minerals. What your opinion on this ?:plant grow: