What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Do colas and bud sights need direct light??

Hubbleman

Veteran
What the title says

Some indica buds grow undernith the canopy and don't get as much light as top cola. Do lower hidden bud sights need light or there ok and grow from energy produced by fan leaves ??

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
The simple answer is the lower parts of the plant will yield more and be bigger with more light and be more efficient at feeding themselves if they do have direct light, like plants outdoors for example where light penetrates much easier right through them.. many use cfls around the bottom half of the plants..

doams

had tops that overgrowed lights and those parts did not get any light coz lights were under them but those buds were still growing and were potent just as those under the line of lights maybe plant can transfer some of that light to those parts somehow?

if you think about it one big indica cola gets light only on the surface and there are buds hidden inside under surface where there is no light and it still grows bigger and bigger..

big315smooth

mama tried
Veteran
got a skywalker kush that stretched pasted everything its in the corner of the grow and the colas bout 8 of them i did some super cropping are just above the light beam. but they are still going strong.light as high as it can go to i rotate the plant alot though.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
According to my studies lowers do not need to be directly lit.

However, They will use any energy given and will increase yield if they are exposed to direct light.

G

GatorGumbo

I see two logical relevant factors to consider. If those lower larf buds are trimmed off as sappers it's likely the rest of the plant will have slightly more vigour. If the larf buds are given appropriate direct or ambient lighting they will produce more trichomes and generally exhibit a more dense structure. Personally, I barely trim the lower sappers and branches that can't get enough (ambient) light, at harvest I throw them in some trim butter and they really give it a decent kick.

Think of it this way, all the other buds and leaves are soaking in the light, so before that energy gets allocated to the lower buds those "solar panel" direct light buds and some smaller leaves have taken most of it for themselves on the way to those lower buds. Logically so, since the plant knows giving that energy to an area that's neglected of enough light would be counterproductive.

popta

Locations on the plant that are capturing energy from the light are called "sources".

Locations on the plant that are consuming energy to grow are called "sinks".

Plants do have the ability to transport energy from sources to sinks, but that doesn't mean they always will because plants also have the ability to choose which sinks are worth sending energy to. Their favourite sink is the top of the plant, which is why members above have seen top buds continuing to grow well after they have passed the lights. The top is a high priority sink that will be strongly supplied by sources lower on the plant.

Sinks at the bottom of the plant are much less preferred, and sinks at the bottom that are in shade are the least preferred of all. Whether a plant will send enough energy to a shaded lower branch to make it develop useable bud depends on a lot of variables, but there are definitely times when it chooses not to and you have to throw all of the bottom branches straight into the trim pile.

Latest posts

Latest posts