What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best Culinary Peppers Thread

LostTribe

Premium user
This is first year ever we are having a decent pepper crop, not sure if its because its been so dang hot and not cooling off at night, or because we are doing mild hot peppers instead of bell sweet peppers. Everyone other time we have tried Bell peppers, however our night time temps outside normally get into the 50s all summer, this summer been more in the 60s at night.

I am about to harvest bananas again already still waiting on the longer varieties but my tomatoes got way way way too gigantic and one is suffering big time got to water more.

How do you tell when sweet corn is ready to harvest? Think my onions died too they are not growing anymore.....

LostTribe

Premium user
Brown silk = cut :tiphat:

http://www.gardenfresco.co.uk/growing-vegetables/sweetcorn/harvesting-sweetcorn

I'm going to go check my Trinidad Moruga Scorpion in the morning.

Yeah that corn was already worthless when I pulled it....

My fucking peruvian aji amarillos didnt even bloom this year should have used my seeds from last year instead of these new ones....so pissed.

How do peppers do indoors is there a preferred light cycle to get them blooming rapidly? Need me some like really bad....

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
I usually do 24 hours lights on for 10-20 days then 12/12 after that. But they will only flower when they are ready, so you can't really make them flower much faster than outside. It's just that having perfect conditions might shorten the time a bit. Keep the P and K up for lots of healthy fruits and pollinate them manually if you see they are having problems setting fruits once they bloom.

LostTribe

Premium user
I usually do 24 hours lights on for 10-20 days then 12/12 after that. But they will only flower when they are ready, so you can't really make them flower much faster than outside. It's just that having perfect conditions might shorten the time a bit. Keep the P and K up for lots of healthy fruits and pollinate them manually if you see they are having problems setting fruits once they bloom.

I tried some different aji seeds this season but found a bunch of my old ones when I was packing for the move. The aji didnt even start to bloom. I have 2 left in the same pot about 4 feet tall and nothing but stetchy leafy plants. The Aji Pinguita de mono on the other hand finished good short plant was a nice bush with about 50 peppers.

I wanted to clone these to shorten them and reveg maybe keep them inside and try to bloom them again....never cloned a vegetable though or reveg a veggie or bloomed inside for that matter.....

corky1968

Veteran
My Trinidad Moruga Scorpion was heavily pollinated outside this Summer and just
was brought indoors at a family members home. It's just by the living room window
and the peppers are maturing now. Last week there was one red one. Today I was
told there's 5 red ones. It will be fun testing these insanely hot peppers. From what
I saw last week I'll get about 30-50 peppers.

Betterhaff

Veteran
I’ve had issues with southern hemisphere varieties flowering and setting fruit here, I’m at 40*N. I’m wondering if it has anything to do with light schedule (just thinking out loud). Aji and Rocoto types come to mind. Most of these are from origins closer to the equator were the daylight times are much shorter. I agree with exploziv about maturity.

corky1968

Veteran
I’ve had issues with southern hemisphere varieties flowering and setting fruit here, I’m at 40*N.

Too much nitrogen really slows things down with peppers.

Makes for huge plants but they take forever to ripen.

So feed very lightly.

Betterhaff

Veteran
Too much nitrogen really slows things down with peppers.

Makes for huge plants but they take forever to ripen.

So feed very lightly.
I find chilis do best when almost neglected, mine don’t get pampered like the other veggies. Only water when absolutely necessary and minimal on the nutes.

Cuzin_Dave

Columbian Aji Amarillo are tough to grow in northern cold climate. They don't like wind and brutal temperature changes.They are quite hot without being overwhelming like the Trinidad and Jamaican style peppers.

Cuzin_Dave

Shaheed those Jamaican Scots Bonnet peppers are flame thrower hot. With a bit of shelter they can adapt quite well in cold climate garden zones. They are beautiful little plants to grow. Excellent for making firecracker shrimp side dish. If people were rating hot peppers on overall quality and genetic adaptability they would be near the top of the list.

Shaheed

Indeed...they are quite potent and resistant plants, we should really apply our ganja knowledge to food....I wonder if any who collect landrace ganja collect landrace food?

Cuzin_Dave

Shaheed those peppers can survive cooler Canadian nights,grow in small containers indoors and outdoors. Amazing little pieces of nature at work.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
I am still hoping my cuttings root its been over 2 weeks now for sure....

early in the season one of my pepper plant was knocked over by the wind... I took the broken branch, shaved the stem, trimmed the leaves, n stuck it in a lite soil, covered it with a plastic baggie n into a window that gets minimum afternoon sun... n 4got about it for about a month... when I took off the baggie, it def had roots n was growing... n the soil was still semi moist.. it is now happily growing in my green house room , waiting for next summer.... not sure what pepper it was as have 7diff hot/sweets... but its growing

LostTribe

Premium user
early in the season one of my pepper plant was knocked over by the wind... I took the broken branch, shaved the stem, trimmed the leaves, n stuck it in a lite soil, covered it with a plastic baggie n into a window that gets minimum afternoon sun... n 4got about it for about a month... when I took off the baggie, it def had roots n was growing... n the soil was still semi moist.. it is now happily growing in my green house room , waiting for next summer.... not sure what pepper it was as have 7diff hot/sweets... but its growing

Nice job! Might have to give that a try this week as it looks like cold might start setting in soon enough. Still going on these peppers but no roots at all yet. I am replacing water every few days.

LostTribe

Premium user
I am trying to clone some of these Aji but the last ones I left in the window sill and replaced water daily for 5 weeks with no luck.

This week I took new cuttings but the branches are super hard to cut with scissors....I dipped in clonex this time and planted directly in the soil I took them out of but in a few plastic cups and watered fully.

Any suggestions?

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
but the branches are super hard to cut with scissors....I dipped in clonex this time and planted directly in the soil I took them out of but in a few plastic cups and watered fully.

Never take cuttings with scissors. Don't even cut dead flowers with scissors. Use the sharpest knife you got or a scalpel. With scissors you destroy cells all over the place, instead of a clean cut that a sharp blade does.
If you take a cut with scissors, always re-cut it at an angle with a sharp blade before you put it into the cloner. You will have much better results.
Also, use powder cloning aid. Much better than the gel in soil. And usually cheaper, too.
Clones taken from plants that are in the vegetation cycle will have best chances of growing roots. Some plants will throw roots faster if you use a diluted micronutrient fertiliser in the soil/cloner water.

Latest posts

Latest posts