What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Parsley (poor man's substitute for marijuana)

N

noluv

Some of you may be aware of parsley being used as a carrier for other drugs in joints. But I came across a claim online that it was used in the 60's as a substitute for weed by itself. And apparently it does indeed have some psychotropic, and other medicinal, qualities. The main psychoactive compound is myristicin, also found in nutmeg.

[URL]http://psychotropia.co/?p=1340[/URL] said:
Medicinal Use
Parsley herbage is used in folk medicine to purify the blood and to treat diseases of the urinary tract. In homeopathy, both an essence of the fresh herbage-Petroselinum-Petersilie (Petroselinum crispurn hom. HAB1, Petroselinum sativum hom. HPUS88)-and a tincture made from the mature fruits-Petroselinum e seminibus-are used (Schneider 1974,3:43*).

Constituents
The entire plant contains an essential oil consisting of myristicin, p-apiol (= parsley camphor), monoterpenes, and sesquiterpenes. The seeds contain the highest concentration of essential oil (2 to 6%; average 2.70/0) (Czygan 1989, 268; Fuhner 1943, 240*; Roth et al. 1994, 552*).

Three chemotypes (chemical races) have been distinguished on the basis of the principal constituents of the essential oil of the mature fruits (Frank 1994, 106; Warncke 1992):
- Myristicin race, with 49 to 77% myristicin, 0 to 30/0 apiol, and 1 to 23% allyltetramethoxybenzol
- Apiol race, with 58 to 80% apio!, 9 to 30% myristicin, and up to 6% allyltetramethoxybenzol
- Allyltetramethoxybenzol race, with 50 to 60% allyltetramethoxybenzol, 26 to 370/0 myristicin, and traces of apiol

The essential oil of the root of the subspecies tuberosum is composed chiefly of apiol (principal constituent), ~-pinene, and myristicin but has traces of elemicine, limonene, bisabolene, .sesquiphellandrene, and germacrene-A (Czygan 1989, 370 f.; Frank 1994, 116). The herbage contains flavones (apiine) and furanocoumarin (cf. coumarins). The fruits are rich in a fatty oil (petroselinic acid). The roots contain polyacetylene and furanocoumarin. Parsley herbage has a high vitamin C content (165 mg per 100 g) and also contains nicotine amide and considerable potassium (1 %).

Effects
The essential oil of the apiol race has powerful abortive effects (Fuhner 1943, 240*) and also can induce coma (Frank 1994, 109). The essential oil of the myristicin race has primarily psychoactive and inebriating effects comparable to those of Myristicafragrans (Czygan 1989,369).

So of course I bought some seeds. :D Petroselinum crispu var. Neopolitanum gigante d'Italia. 90 cents for a whole bunch of seeds from the local grocery store (hopefully this will be true for drug cannabis some day too). No idea on the chemovar, went for the only flatleaf type available (there were a couple of different curly ones, but the flatleafs should be more aromatic). Hope it is the myristicin race as I'm not really looking to abort any babies at this moment (pregnant women should be careful with this substance).

Any cultivation tips? I'm especially interested in when to harvest as there is no info regarding that. Maximum oil content in herbage is what I'm looking for I guess. Quite eager to try this so I hope I don't have to wait until fall. :) Though germination of the seeds alone will take 3-4 weeks according to the package so it will be a while no matter what.

I want to smoke a lot of it by itself to see if I can feel any kind buzz. And to experience the taste. Also wanna smoke just a little along with some hash to see if it will alter the character of the cannabis high. And just to find out if it's a good filler for hash joints (or joints in general, if times get really tough). If all else fails I will just use it as a soup seasoning.

Anyone ever smoked some?

N

noluv

"Banadine" is a hoax originally from The Anarchists Cookbook. Banana peel has no psychoactives in it.

P.S. Finding information about psychotropic/medicinal use of parsley is difficult because of people with no actual information want to clutter all discussion about it with posts like that. Anyone who thinks this is a bad idea is free to feel so but need not take part in the thread, UNLESS YOU HAVE EXPERIENCE OR REAL INFO, thanks.

Krull

Soul Feeder
Veteran
I like it better with some fish bro...

7773351-grigliata-di-alimenti--alla-griglia-di-pesce-con-limone-e-prezzemolo.jpg

there are better smoking herbs/blends for sure.

Peace

=K

Al Botross

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Really this from the dude promoting Parsley, redonkulous!

Heard a Doctor saying they get positive results for THC's presence in copulites. If you're that desperate I'll give you one to smoke.

Then you can change you avatar to turdsmoker

N

noluv

Really this from the dude promoting Parsley, redonkulous!

Heard a Doctor saying they get positive results for THC's presence in copulites. If you're that desperate I'll give you one to smoke.

Then you can change you avatar to turdsmoker

I am not promoting anything but simply have a scientific interest in this medicinal herb and its cultivation.

You on the other hand are promoting ignorance. Please leave this thread alone. Thanks again.

dutchy

mhh, i would not recommend that kind of search for a weed alternative dude....u never now what will and can happen with this kind of herbs......a while back a friend came with some salvia blablabla dont now the exactly name, but that shit is legal in my area and it got me trippin man fuck that...after i smoked a bowl, i immediately started trippin hallucinating , i saw oil painted flame outlines on my hands an thought i was burning , i kicked out my shoes and ran out of the house ,because i dont wanted to burn the house^^ then after a minute it was gone and i stand in the wet gardnen without shoes and realised that i was hallucinating^^ it was not dramatic but man i never thought that theese kind of hallucinating can be real...lol man that minute was intense weird trippin...so please dont try something just set up a grow and be patient..

G

greenmatter

if you are serious you smoke oregano when you run out of weed ......... hard mode yo

N

noluv

The plant you are talking about is Salvia divinorum. None of the actives in parsley should be anywhere near the extremity of Salvinorin A, the hallucinogen in it.

I really should have titled this thread better. Lets set the record straight. I'm fortunate to have plenty of weed right now and I have more growing, both in veg and flower. Even if I didn't I would be able to grow and harvest some faster than parsley, which apparently needs a month to germ and then 3-4 to grow. Despite all this I still have a curiosity in parsley.

I'll admit it was the "poor man's marijuana substitute from the 60's" thing that got me really interested. I was previously familiar with PCP, DMT, and other substance smokers using parsley as a carrier but they also use herbs like mint and catnip which are not psychoactive by themselves. However parsley truly does seem to be, which came as new information to me despite years of "studying drugs". This obscurity is perhaps why the thread is causing so much, hmm, confusion... And is also a major part of my interest.

sso

Veteran
so why dont you just buy a bag of parsley and try?

should take all of five minutes, could even get it predried..

N

noluv

Well that would only be half the fun now wouldn't it? :) Also they only seem to sell the less aromatic curly kind around here.

G

greenmatter

^^^^ brother if you are talking about smoking parsley you can have ALL the fun and tell us about it ......... and i think i'll pass no matter what you find out

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
A good substitute would be oregano with catnip, but never read anything about parsley.

Keep on growing :)

N

noluv

^^^^ brother if you are talking about smoking parsley you can have ALL the fun and tell us about it ......... and i think i'll pass no matter what you find out

Indeed, with parsley growing it may turn out to be all the fun. ;)

Isn't 'flat leaf parsley' the same thing as Cilantro? (which is Caromom in seed form?

mgk :tiphat:

No that's coriander (Coriandrum sativum), not flat leat parsley (Petroselinum crispum neapolitanum).

lost in a sea

Lifer
Veteran
thats the poor and dumb mans marijuana :biglaugh:

or just dumb maybe :thinking:

if you want "psychotropic" go buy an entheogen shown to have those effects,, some hawaiian baby woodrose seeds or something,, or trip on peyote/shrooms,,

you could smoke a bin liner full and it wouldnt do shit, apart from tar your lungs up.

and this based on a rumour that some peeps smoked it in the 60's ? theirs nothing i can see in the chemistry that will affect any neurotransmitters at doses you can achieve through smoking,, also anythings a substitute if you dont have ganja,,

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts