What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Lumatek ballast problems

D

Darkstarlive

Has anyone else had any problems with Lumatek ballast?
A Couple weeks ago I had a 1000w/120v ballast blowout and it had melted the power cord socket and today I had the same thing happen with a 600w/120v ballast. They were both on their own outlet so no overloading was going on I just find it strange it would happen to 2 ballast that were about 7 months old.
anyone else have this happen?

Peace...

i have 2 400w 240v lumatek ballast
the other day i pulled the plugs out 2 take some pictures when i pluged them back in again 1 would not come so i put a new bulb in and its working ok now never checked the grolux blub i took out but it looked ok

zafira

BeeBee

If you are talking about the socket in the ballast, it sounds like the cord was not fully inserted (or there was dirt in the socket). If the cord is not firmly inserted, and not making very good contact with the male prongs, there will be heat generated due to resistance--it would cause the melting. Make sure the cords are out of the way, and, if they aren't a tight fit, put a brick on the cord so they can't become dislodged.

The 1000 watt at 110 volts is using almost 10 amps--that's quite a bit of current, similar to an electric heater or toaster oven.

P

PonicalChillin

I believe Lumatek had issues with connectivity problems with the fused removable power cord lumateks - definately the 1000w 120v units.

They've since hardwired the power cords and did away with the fuse in favor of a reset button.

If you have a 1000w 120v Lumatek with a detachable power..expect it to melt around the fuse power input area. Its almost guaranteed in due time.

--

There is a reason the biggest player in the game (General Electric) never created a 1000w 120v electronic ballast. They claim it cannot currently be done - and will eventually fail in short time

--

If anyone is planning to run a 1000w electronic ballast I urge you to go 240v. They ARE much safer. Its my opinion that no 1000w lights SHOULD be ran at 120v. Its just to close (amps) to the breaking point of many components...be it interal components, switches, timers. etc.

stay safe
peace

Da Turps

I heard from someone who knows what he's talking about that the lumatek 1k ballasts aren't quite there yet. I've also heard many reports of problems with these. I know of a few users on IC here that have tremendous success with the Galaxy brand, these seem to be superior to Lumatek as far as the digital ballasts go. I personally don't feel that ANY digital ballast is quite there yet and so I am will be sticking to ye good olde magnetic. A quality sun systems unit is pretty efficient and doesn't make any noise.
Just my .02. I wish you the best in getting your systems up and running again.

Peace,
DT

D

Darkstarlive

PonicalChillin,

That's exactly what I'm talking about. I've had other lumateks that I've had no problems with it seems that the latest revisions in the past 8 months are the ones that are melting the power cord and socket. I think whats happening is the power is bypassing the fuse and drawing too much power and instead of the fuse popping it gets too hot and melts the socket and power cord. Now that I think of it when my 1000w ballast died it had started to melt my timer too. I'm lucky it didn't start a fire!! I have some of the newer one with the hardwired power cords and a reset button instead of a removable fuse holder.

Thanks for stopping in and speaking to the subject.

Peace..

P

PonicalChillin

I honestly cannot believe there havn't been any serious house fires from these 1k 120v units. I mean why in the hell doesnt the fuse just blow..instead these things just melt the entire fuse / power input area.

Lumatek (and/or) the Lumatek distributors really should do a nationwide recall on these. It just seems like something like this could be a huge lawsuit had not everyone and their brother be growin cannabis...and I think they know this.

EDIT - my 600w 240v Lumateks are the best money I've ever spent..tiny and barely get warm. This is strictly a 120v 1k issue..other then that I think lumateks are awesome.

Last edited:
B

badugi

Wow good to hear about the (lack of) testing & quality control on these things. Glad I didn't invest in 'em this go around.

I've had a pair of 600w/120v's for a while, they worked flawlessly for me.

mojojojo

had two 1000 watters go out on me one would burn the fuse every time i got a new one and lumatec took it back the the other one would fire up for about a second then die.
lumatec took it back after they tested it out i have two 600 watt lumatecs that work fine but i would not buy anything they make again. ruined a few grows

D

Darkstarlive

When the 1000w ballast went I found it dead and only after calling Lumatek and they suggested checking the fuse did I find it had melted the fuse holder and socket. I just happened to be in the room testing some new Sunpulse Bulbs that I heard crackling from my 600w ballast and I unplugged it and when I treid to pull out the power cord from the ballast it wouldn't come out easy and when I finally got it out one of the wires from inside the ballast came out melted to the power cord. Like it mentioned in one of the previous post, why didn't the fuse blow? There was an obvious problem with too much power being drawn that it melted the that area and the fuse should have popped.

Yeah, if it weren't for what people are using these ballast for they would demand a recall..lol
Peace...

B00st3d

Get Galaxy ballasts, they are by far the best out. Do the research and you will see for yourself. Galaxy is the only brand that can run all brands of bulbs without blowing them not to mention way less if any harmonic resonance at all compared to the other brands. I have five 600's and a 400 from them. I used to own future brites and all but one failed on me within 6 months of use. I usually run my lights at 240v with one of those boxes that plugs into a dryer outlet. Its safe and reliable. I love my galaxies and will never own any other brand ever again. Good luck and stay safe

jocat

iv'e been running two 600w lumateks burning hortilux bulbs, for 9 months without any trouble, added a 220v 1000w 2 months ago and have had no proplems, one thing i like about the digis is that when power goes out and comes back on the ballest doesn't fire for a few minutes, saves the bulbs. the magnetic ballest will try to start the hot bulb and that's not good for your $bulbs. sorry to hear of your troubles, if mine started acting up it would get the boot and i would go back to magnetic. buds good/fire bad jc

Happy Bud

I've been running 1000w 240 Galaxy's 902510 and 902515 120/240 w/o any problems for well over decade. However, I've heard complaints about some of the newer models and they no longer make the ones that I have.

Back around it seems 2005ish Lumatek and Galaxy were the top ballast on the market for several years there back in the early 2000's. Around 2007 I started hearing complaints about Lumatek IME about half of my friends loved them, the other half were still having problems trying to replace faulty units.
I've since heard of so many new ballast out since this thread started. I know someone around here must have more current info to throw out here about where Lumatek stands in the 1000w present ballast market.