What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How much chlorine in RDWC??

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
I was hoping to have a live reservoir for RDWC, but the water got a little slimey, and a little bit of some roots were not pure white.

I have researched, and like everything else I see widely varying advice. I have seen to use 1/2 PPM, to 140 PPM will not hurt them. Stitch recommended 1 drop per gallon. What do others recommend, and what are signs of too much. Would imagine it would have to be done every 3 or 4 days.

Also, could it just be run before reservoir change (might just change 90% of reservoir), then run live components after water change.

Have not tried Heisenberg tea with RDWC, but that worked for me with flood and drain.

Thanks!!!

Loc Dog

Veteran
140ppm sounds like a lot. I shoot for about 4ppm. good luck

I thought 140 PPM sounded insane. Most I have seen have been from .5 to 5.

Google says 4 PPM is the most tap water can have. I will try 1 PPM, but doubt a cheap PPM meter is accurate enough to measure that.

Loc Dog

Veteran
Now I am more confused than ever. There are 90,922 drops in a gallon, so one drop would be over 10 PPM. I am wondering if that is 100% bleach, since most is 6%.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
I do bleach in coco from time to time.

This is my thought process on figuring my application rate:

20 drops = 1mL

10 drops = 0.5 mL

0.4 mL bleach per gal, first application.

0.2 ml bleach per gal every other day, 4 drops.

0.05 mL per drop

2 drops per 1/2 Gal.

If you figure one drop is 10 times application rate, then dropper one
drop bleach in 100ml water and syringe for a 10ml dose.

go buy some pool shock at Walmart. Very strong stuff. then mix 1gram of pool shock to 1 gal of water. Take the mixed solution and use 1 once per 5 gal. It will kill everything in the res but light enough to keep roots alive. Supposedly that is close to the "Clear Rez" formula. Works great and its cheap to make

Loc Dog

Veteran
go buy some pool shock at Walmart. Very strong stuff. then mix 1gram of pool shock to 1 gal of water. Take the mixed solution and use 1 once per 5 gal. It will kill everything in the res but light enough to keep roots alive. Supposedly that is close to the "Clear Rez" formula. Works great and its cheap to make

Is that one drop of the pool shock solution per gallon??

the pool shock comes in granular form usually called Step 3 of cleaning your pool process. You weigh up 1 gram of the pool shock and mix it into 1 gal of RO water.

The mixed solution now becomes your concentrated solution.

Now use a ratio of 1 ounce of concentrated solution to 5 gals of your reservoir size.

As you know chlorine evaporates so I usually re administer that dosage after the 3rd day

Me2

Now I am more confused than ever. There are 90,922 drops in a gallon, so one drop would be over 10 PPM. I am wondering if that is 100% bleach, since most is 6%.

Using 6%, 0.315ml per gal will give you 5ppm. Alternatively, you could make a solution with 64.34ml bleach topped up to 1 litre with distilled water. The solution at 1ml per gallon will give you 1ppm, if you need 5ppm use 5ml (1 tsp) per gallon.

Latest posts

Latest posts