What's new

Help me setup my first hydro system

I've been growing organic for 8 years and I want to dedicate a small space in my room to hydro. I dont want to really spend a ton of money into the system yet, but I want to start tinkering around and see what comes of it. I need help setting up a small scalable hydroponics system to add to my 1k flowering room. I'm familiar with nft,ebb n flo,coco, dwc and such but I've never personally ran hydroponics. Please try to take affordability into consideration without sacrificing on quality of the hydro system. I'm very hands on so building the system shouldnt be an issue. Thanks for your time/help in advance.:)

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
A flood and drain tray with pots of hydroton or coco with drippers is very easy to set up and maintain. If you are handy you can build a tray and then just use a tote for a res. Add a pump and some nutrients and of you go!

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
If you are looking for cheap, get a large tote or two, drill some holes in the top for several plants per each tote and an air stone/pump for each tote. That is a basic low cost option, The more stuff you add like water pumps and timers for your pumps adds to your start-up costs. There are lots of threads here with all kinds of styles/options/systems, do a little reading and look at what others are doing/have done to help you find something that fits your location.

Speed of green

Hempy buckets are a really easy transition to "hydro" no pumps, no timers, fast growth, water it like dirt.

All you need is a bucket or bottle and a drill. cheap & simple.

I grew hempy in perlite&vermiculite to start and then switched to cooc&perlite a few years later. The results were great, although never growing in soil i can't say what is superior.

Coming from organic soil to Hydro the most important factors to watch are ph & ec. i would buy quality meters 1 ph - 1 ppm/ec -not a combo meter and learn how to calibrate them if you don't already know how. Bluelab makes quality meters in my opinion, their customer service is top notch. Probably going to run you $75-100 per meter.

The next thing i would say that is important is water quality, synthetic nutrients (for the most part) need to be mixed with really clean tap/well water or Reverse osmosis/distilled water. A small r/o system is like $100-150 - unless you have really clean water i wouldn't skip this step.

The synthetic nutrients you choose can really blow your budget, seriously some of the prices out there for liquid bottled nutrients are unbelievable .

powdered nutrients are much less expensive and are the same as their liquid counter parts but much more concentrated. Jacks professional 5-12-26+calcium nitrate 15-0-0 works great, it is what i have used for the last year and the plants love it. its a complete nutrient, i use no additives whatsoever, i use it from clone to chop with no issues.

Anyway, good luck on your journey!

Latest posts

Latest posts