What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Relationship between Reservoir size and nutrient concentration

kunkgrow

Relationship between Reservoir size and nutrient concentration

Hello growers.

I'm on my first hydroponic (rDWC) journey and still have many questions and problems arising, learning every step of the way.

Lets picture the following scenario to better understand this questioning:
Imagine two systems
One that holds 40 gallons in total with only 4 plants.
One that holds 20 gallons in total with only 4 plants.

Now lets say you run your nutrients with 500ppm on each, same dilution.

Is it possible to assume that the 40 gallon system will potentially burn your plants when the 20 gallon system doesn't ?

Ok, you have the same concentration on both, but on the 40 gallon the plant has more available due to the larger volume, and even though it drinks at the same concentration, it drinks more and more without ever bringing the EC/ppm down due to the higher availability.

Do you see where I am going? Does it make sense?

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
40 gal for 4 plants? Why?

I grow 2 plants with ~ 2.5-3 g total

See my Hail Hydro thread for answers

resin_lung

I cough up honey oil
Veteran
The larger the res the smaller the swings. PPM is PPM whether it's a lake or a bucket of water from that lake.

Let's say you wanna feed your plants 20/20/20 at what ever PPM. Your PPM will stay closer to your initial reading for a longer period of time as well as your NPK ratios. Same goes for PH and temp too. Less fluctuations all around. Without getting ridiculous, the larger the res the better.