What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Octopot root rot. Need help asap

Mrgstack

I got root rot using the "octopot". I'm in week 2 of flower. The octopot is a hydro/soil hybrid. Cloth pot sits in 3. Gal Rez. Long story short I got bad root rot and don't know what to do. I took out all the rotted roots which seemed like a lot. I added hydroguard and some enzymes. Next day didn't reallly see a differences so I went with h202. Since it's in a 5 galling cloth pot. Could I just repot it In more coco and forget the hydropart of it. I appreciate all comments and opinions

Mrgstack

Not sure what you mean. Toss the plant out? It's a beautiful plant 2nd week in flower. I know transplanting it would most likely shock but wouldn't it recover in a week. It's already in coco as it is. It just sits in a Rez and feeds from the bottom

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
I would get them out of whatever system it is and just do a coco hand feed. Since it sounds like they were already pretty fuct you could even entertain hacking them back, revegging, and then flowering out again but you will be losing out on 4-6 weeks probably. Anyway you look at it they will be severely stunted and produce significantly less since they are already week 2 into flower with a reduced rootball. If you want to try that anyway then I would also water in with a product called Actinovate.

Pics would be helpful

Mrgstack

Since it's already in a cloth pot. Should I just put in in a tray. Or set it on top of more coco? The bottom of it is open. Thanks for advice it's greatly appreciated.

Dr.Faustus

Hello

Would drilling holes in the sides of the containers let more air to the roots?Seems like a good Idea but never seen pots with these holes.
Opinions please Thanks

YetiOG

Not sure what you mean. Toss the plant out? It's a beautiful plant 2nd week in flower. I know transplanting it would most likely shock but wouldn't it recover in a week. It's already in coco as it is. It just sits in a Rez and feeds from the bottom

Not sure why you would ask a question (so you dont know right?) And then disregard the right answer

The same situation happened with a friend recently. He had root rot week 2 of flower i said chuck em its in a circulating system they all got. He says but they look so nice, to which i told him for now, soon they wont. Once serious problems start they tend rto keep coming. So he presses on. His plants keep getting sicker no matter what he puts in. By week 5 they are COVERED IN PM top to bottom. I tell him to throw he says, well cant i still sell it?

That was the end of me dealing with him. He wont listen and take real advice, makes his problems worse because he wont listen...

So maybe you should take the advice when you ask for it. Its unlikely plants with bad root rot will turn out ok. Grab a clone and tada restart. Unless you want to be like the grower i mentioned. I wouldnt sugest it he failed 2 crops because he thought he was smarter and better at growing than i am because hes 20 years older. Kicker is ive been growing for nearly 10 him for 3 years, and in the 3 years he never changed anything just kept doing what he learned out of a book. Finally his lack of knowledge came and bit him hard.

Take the advice ir dont ask for it.

JTC2002

No rot in my Octopot

No rot in my Octopot

Hey Y'all I'm a licensed caregiver in Michigan and have been using Octopots for over 5 years. I also know a lot of people who rock em. Mrgstack fudded up his roots by overaerating his reservoir. The dissolved oxygen levels fall and the ph drops shocking and killing the roots in the reservoir. The roots in the grow sleeve were fine and if the rotten ones were cleaned out and the plant was grown on it would have produced an okay crop. It happened in the second week because thats when the plant demands the most oxygen. This pic is a 6 gal Octopot root system at 7 week veg with no air stones.

Attachments

• led roots .jpg
    led roots .jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 52

Yourunclegord

the airstones are ypur problem if you run air in an octo it can only be for half the time max and they dont reccomend doing that at all. sorry you had trouble . i thpught i had root rot but it was just my sollution on the roots when i let them suck dry they were back to bright white