What's new

Ebb & Flow VS Drip Method need expertise opinion

CANNABYTE

I am trying to grow hydroponically with rock wool and the drip method and disregard the flushing stage and obviously my plants eventually died....

I would like to know the advantages of using the ebb and flow method since the roots will be loose in the water not attached to any rockwool that accumulates salts.

Question: Does EBB & Flow Method require FLUSHING.....??

Question: What are my advantages of using EBB & Flow method against the drip method using rock wool....???

All expertise opinion is welcomed.

Thank you,

Cannabyte

LostTribe

Premium user
Not up and blooming right now but disregard the above trashing of Hydroton or expanded clay pellets. They are easily washed in a 5 gallon bucket with small holes drilled out on the bottom and placed under a bath tub faucet or flushed with another bucket of tap water preferably warm. I believe they hold a lot more air than do aquarium ornamental stones and they are made for hydro.

YES I top drip just check oot SoQuicks Guide and see what I'm talking aboot! I use 5 gallon buckets though and circular drip rings made of 1/2 inch poly with 1/4 inch holes drilled for dripping.

I also now run this setup with Pure Blend Pro for the most part with some canna added as well here and there. No clogging or goo in my systems as I keep it lab grade clean. SM90 and Cannazyme help keep it clean in there also.

ICMAG IS BORING AS SHIT LINK BELOW
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=7366

greenlegend420

image.jpg
[/url]

Heres my top feed. Runs 24/7 and i love it.

BadRabbit

I am trying to grow hydroponically with rock wool and the drip method and disregard the flushing stage and obviously my plants eventually died....

I would like to know the advantages of using the ebb and flow method since the roots will be loose in the water not attached to any rockwool that accumulates salts.

Question: Does EBB & Flow Method require FLUSHING.....??

Question: What are my advantages of using EBB & Flow method against the drip method using rock wool....???

All expertise opinion is welcomed.

Thank you,

Cannabyte

Let's think this through together ... what's the number 1 indoor hydro media of choice for most major grow ops around the world?

that's right, it's rockwool.

Secondly ... how does an e&f table work? By flooding .. then draining. It's fool proof ... don't f around with drip systems until you're in graduate school. For now, ebb and flow is the most basic, proven and foolproof method of hydro.

you're problems are not with rw or salt buildup .... works for me for decades, works everytime. look elsewhere for you plant problem.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I tried HH rings. They clog, building up with algae, even after I drilled the holes

Not a fan of RW. For one thing it does not break down. That aside, F & D for the win. See my DIY Mini-Me F & D thread for more

There are various non RW methods that work quite well for both seedlings and/or clones, and are environmentally compatible

I use a combination of coco inserts, coco, polished river rock, and coco collars for clones

View attachment 372598 View attachment 372599

View attachment 372600 View attachment 372601

View attachment 372602

paladin420

FACILITATOR
Veteran
Proper ebb n flo degasses the root zone for better up-take of nutes.

ImhE that makes it superior...

Flushing would depend on the grow.. Run the plant to its end? No flushing needed... Want to force a plant to finish in a timely matter? Flush

river rocks?!

river rocks?!

Hydroton is too messy and can clog filters, drains. Ornamental stones from Dollar Store rock. They have ZERO residue, are super easy to remove from roots at harvest, clean and reuse forever

View attachment 362889 View attachment 362890

View attachment 362891 View attachment 362892
and if elec goes out plants may suffer quickly, and ph seems tricky. I have used only packing peanuts and it worked BUT?! many raving about enf hydroton, and maybe drip into coco. tried enf coco/perlite but got fewer buds due to moisture. rw is wetter and ive done enf but wasn't easy

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Proper ebb n flo degasses the root zone for better up-take of nutes.

ImhE that makes it superior...

Flushing would depend on the grow.. Run the plant to its end? No flushing needed... Want to force a plant to finish in a timely matter? Flush

Nutrient lines like Emerald Harvest provide a feeding schedule that slowly ramps up from seedlings/clones - and down to harvest

Many tend to use/overuse bloom boosters and should be flushed