update on my first cob curing adventure:
I took it out and inspected it after 3 days, as I was nervous because the cobs were a bit moist when i started. It had indeed started changing color, becoming very dark. I re-wrapped it in overnight-dried husks, tighter, with better string, and vac-sealed again for another 5 days, this is what it looked like:
today I decided it had been long enough, and took it out to inspect it again, and I determined it was definitely finished. . . .
as you can see the color changed drastically to deep deep brown, almost black in places, and the pistils are now a neon bright red.
here's a before and after
before (left) & after (right)
and just like Tangwena said - it has the consistency of hash. it smells sweet - a bit wet (because it is), and essentially the same as it did going in, just with a bit of a twist on it.
Now, I don't want to get too excited, and I'm doing the 5-day dry in a cool dark place, but I just cut off a few chunks and am quick-drying them in my veg room to try in a joint. This stuff looks too crazy to not try now, . . . .
(especially under an LED, lol)
wish me luck . . . .
i shall be back, someday, with a smoke report.