What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Should Machine Rooted Clones be Dipped?

S

SooperSmurph

Ty all for your continued input and attendance, my next side by side will likely be: topped vs untopped clones, though i'm still unsure, lots of test grows and new varieties coming up so I might find a way to involve them in a new project.

Greenheart

Veteran
I avoid rooting compounds. Most of them have a notation about not using on food crops or something similar. In the past I have used willow bark tea but I just use water and an areobucket now. Changing water every two to three days helps avoid the mushy stem in my experience.

gmanwho

Veteran
sooper, good to hear what worked best. 2 questions.. 1 did you ever replace the water throughout the process and 2 did you ever check or adjust the ph throughout?

alone, thanks for the pep talk......

b-safe

S

SooperSmurph

The Ph is "adjusted" every time water is added to the unit, which is every 3-4 days initially, and then every other day as the clones develop roots.

The allowed range is 5.6-6.3, with a preference for 6.0

I generally only change out the water completely if the machine runs longer than 2 weeks.

gmanwho

Veteran
thanks for the info sooppersmurph. now the other things i didnt see other then 1 min on and 3 off, what cycle timer are you using??? cause i gotta pick one up too!!

now i fucked with my ez cloner for years, had good results an then shit, one thing i will say is after i initially got roots, cannas rhizotonic added in the rez created serious lateral root development. it is expensive, but those roots would turn into hanging fishbones. the roots in coco would also get serious furry microscopic root hairs. the microscopic roots where so fragile that i only saw them in coco as they werent getting smacked with water like in the ez cloner

would love to see a side by side, other then getting another cloner maybe u could compare to this last test to a new one with rhizo. if i remember correctly i ran the rhizo at like half recommendation, wanna say 10mill per gal. been some years since i bought anything from canna other then there pk 10/11.

really thou, the lateral development was veryyyyy noticeable.

thanks for taking the time........ b-safe

S

SooperSmurph

I use a fixed cycle CAP timer, I used to have an adjustable one but I found it less reliable and more finicky than the fixed unit. The fixed unit is locked on 1 minute On / 4 minutes Off, and doesn't use a photocell, which isn't needed for this purpose anyway.

TripleDraw27

Veteran
i was a dick, jet lagged and bills, im just bugged at the exaggeration in the industry more and more. i guess im thirsty for hard facts, like u are doing smurph, keep it up.

ryan seacrest, out

S

SooperSmurph

[/b]Lets see about a dozen of these, in various set ups with same results, then ill be sold and concede. But i believe you are in that " honey moon " period, where you think you are the shit and this works everytime. GL lol

:thank you:
Been running my EZ Cloner constantly (refilling every time it empties, after a cleaning) for about 2 years, and since establishing proper procedures (on/off cycle, cloning solution dosage, low initial lighting, etc) i've had consistently good results every time, and the six months that it took me to learn the ins and outs of the machine helped me identify the symptoms of potential problems so that they can be negated early if and when they rear their heads.

DabSnob

Ive had both the EZ cloner and turbo kloner... like Smurph stated proper on/off cycle, low lighting the first couple days, and dipping clones first increased success rates significantly (in my garden too). Even with the fan on the turbo kloner it made no difference at all in success rates on my cuttings. The pumps simply get to hot when running constantly. eventually i switched back to peat pellets, and have both the EZ and Turbo sitting in my closet. i dont hate them just have better rates with peat pellets soaked in fasilitor and startboost. =)

I thought some of you guys were completely full of shit

I thought some of you guys were completely full of shit

But I was wrong. I had a hard time believing that anyone was getting any kind of roots to show in 5 days but now I'm a believer

null_zps88478b4a.jpg

I put this in the cloner on Saturday afternoon and I have a root on Wednesday! Fucking psyched.

It is only one cut of 16 but I will take it. The others are looking good and I will post more pics as they show roots.

I mixed 3ml/gal kln, 1ml/gal calmag, 3ml/gal silica. Put cuttings in a cup filled with that mix as I took them. Scraped the stem (which I had never heard of before this thread) dipped in clonex and into the cloner. Air stone running constantly (learned from this thread) and set the pump on one minute on 3 minutes off (learned from this thread).

Thank you for all the info

Hammerhead thanks for the clone king and kln suggestions

DabSnob

Highsenburg,
I've read so many threads on forums i thought were bullshit... the fun is figuring out what is, and what is not Complete crap. Glad your found a new technique that works for you :dance013:

And this cut has been in a cup of my coco clone juice for about a week

null_zps5b395fa5.jpg

This is off the same plant as the cut above. It's bagseed from some weed I got on a surf trip to Oaxaca in May. I'm hoping for Oaxacan Gold :)

Snype

Veteran
I'm trying to understand the point of this thread. I don't score my cuttings in any way. I don't dip them in gels or powders at all. All that I use is my basic VEG formula and these are my roots in 10 days or less:
picture.php

My temperatures even get into the 90's at times and I still get full blown healthy roots! Scoring cuts and using products that are not meant for food crops doesn't make any sense.

S

SooperSmurph

You clearly scrape the outer bark off of the rooting area, or the roots would be forming naturally around nodes and not up the side of the entire clone, but you're free to swing in the way you find groovy baby :biggrin:

Last edited:

Snype

Veteran
You clearly scrape the outer bark off of the rooting area, or the roots would be forming naturally around nodes and not up the side of the entire clone, but if you're free to swing in the way you find groovy baby :biggrin:
I don't scrape anything at all SooperSmurph. All I do is take a cutting from a plant and place in in the cloner. I use a pair of scissors and not a blade. I do nothing at all besides take my cutting from my mom in a 45 degree angle and place her in the cloner. The reason why your cuttings may form the way they do is because your cloner may have to be sanitized with Erythromycin with the treatments that I have in that thread. My roots come from everywhere without scraping and my pump stays on 24/7. Instead of doubting me, you should be learning. Why don't I see pictures of yours that look like this with your technique?

S

SooperSmurph

Not sure what axe you've got to grind, but have fun, i'll be over here , happy with my consistent results, but all the same, :thank you: for stopping by.

If you want to claim results that defy basics of aquaculture, physics, botany, etc, you can, i'm not going to stop you :biggrin:

Snype

Veteran
Not sure what axe you've got to grind, but have fun, i'll be over here , happy with my consistent results, but all the same, :thank you: for stopping by.

If you want to claim results that defy basics of aquaculture, physics, botany, etc, you can, i'm not going to stop you :biggrin:

LOL! Ok, so my results are fake. By the way my root nubs come in between 4 and 5 days. I completely take out the air pump that the easy cloner came with and use an air pump rated at 40 Liters per minute in a EZ Clone 60. I'm sure that you will also tell me that the root below didn't take 9 days to complete once transfered into my Ebb And Flow hanging table:
picture.php

Anyway this message is not for you. It is for the other people who are in the world that want to know the information. For the first picture in the EZ Cloner, I used a solution of:

20 mL General Hydroponic FloraMicro
30 mL General Hydroponic FloraBloom
3 mL of SuperThrive
6 drops of Clorox Bleach

Everything is always pH'd to 6.0 and bleach is only added a second time if there are problems. I stopped using the SuperThrive once I found out it contained NAA and I made the switch to Technaflora B-1 Red at the rate of 40 mL. All these rates that I'm telling you guys is at 10 Gallons in an EZ Cloner 60 and I always replace the air pump to one that is rated at least 35 Liters/minute. The superThrive ended up being the big secret in my rates that gave me roots so quick. Once I made the switch to B-1 Red, the nubs took until day 6-7 to show but now I don't use products that are bad for humans. I also don't score any of the cuts and think that it is not the best idea.

Last edited:
S

SooperSmurph

Have fun dragging all that smugness around, as I said, i'll be over here, enjoying consistent results, while you supposedly "school" people... this attitude feels familiar, lol.

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
So both your systems work great. It's wonderful that we can choose and try for ourselves to see what works best for us. Thank you both for your tutorials. :thank you: