What's new

Dehumidifier Water HELP!

GotChaman

I have a 13,000 btu AC that produces about 5 gallons of water through the dehumidifier in a full day.... Is it OKAY to collect this water and re-use for feeding? PPM is below 10 always... and ph is really low, around 5.5. Is this normal, and is it okay to keep re-using this water. I also do add calmag at 3mil/gallon.

Thanks in advance,

Chaman

D

dramamine

Yea man...that water is perfectly distilled in your dehuey. The ph will easily change when you add your nutrients.

GotChaman

I know the PH will change once I add nutes, but the water from the dehuey is a different pH than the regular water and reverse osmosis water... that is why I had a concern.

Normally water is at 7ph, but the dehuey ph is 5.5. How can this be possible?

Thank in advance

gettogro

Veteran
Fill a 5 gallon bucket with the dehuey water test Ph. Then stir the water rapidly agitating the surface then test ph again while the water is still moving. I had a problem using ac/dehuey water dropping ph in my res. It was 6.4 resting PH and then when I stirred it up the PH fell like a rock to 4.0 Might just be a specific problem for me though. I was using about 15 gallons of reclaimed water a day it was dropping my ph in the nute res. I couldn't figure it out till I did the stir test with the water.

growshopfrank

Veteran
I know the PH will change once I add nutes, but the water from the dehuey is a different pH than the regular water and reverse osmosis water... that is why I had a concern.

Normally water is at 7ph, but the dehuey ph is 5.5. How can this be possible?

Thank in advance

the easiest way to explain this is that pure water is very ph unstable so it takes very little to change its ph. once you add nutrients they buffer the solution and make it more stable

Mister_D

Veteran
Should be fine. I've used water from a/c's and dehumidifiers for years without issue. As has be said already, adjust your ph accordingly.

GreenThumb2U2

I like using dehumidifier water. My dehumidifier h2o is at 5.4 pH. I use this water for a pH down.
This water is extremely soft or extremely low PPM.
adding nutrients, and/or tap water, fish tank water. This will stabilize the water.
the fish tank water comes in at 8.0 pH and has high hardness. Very high GH and KH. I use tap water or fish tank water as a pH up.
I like using the dehumidifier water better than buying distilled water.
-My concern would be bacteria or algae mold or fungus growing in the reservoir, Keep your reservoir clean and there should be no problems whatsoever.
-My question is does anyone know why dehumidifier water has such a high pH.

-On a side note I have heard the Red Cross made a 18 wheeler that goes to devastated areas that have contaminated or no water. This big rig will dehumidifier the water from the air and create drinking water for the people.

RoostaPhish

Veteran
If you bubble or aerate the water for a few hours or overnight the ph should raise. But yes it is fine to use, and more people should!