What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Weed vs Opioids: Which Is Better For Pain ?

Thcvhunter

Veteran
Check out MAPS.
Multi-diciplinary Assoc. for Psychedelic Studies.

I dont go recommending psychedelics for everyday problems. But chronic pain brings a whole bag of problems and psychedelics can help deal with that.

we all post here about how effective cannabis is....to demonize the other psychedelics as medicine puzzles me.

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
Please Keep on Topic

Please Keep on Topic

Can we please keep the discussion to the benefits and affects of CANNABIS?

:canabis:

This is not MAPS website, nor a compendium of psychedelics.

What we do want to hear about are the uses of cannabis as medicine and how well it works.

Thank you!

:tiphat:

Thcvhunter

Veteran
Sorry.

I like Sativa and Satty hybrids for neuropathy.
CBD for inflammation.
Indica to forget about the pain.

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
The seeds are out there..

The seeds are out there..

ya I need to get my hands on high cbd strains.. and some like 100% indicas.

I've got some CBD Cure and Shark which I bought online. (I think they are about 6% CBD 7% THC)

I'm planning on getting these going soon. Plenty of 100% Indicas out there.

Peace

In my experience some pains respond better to weed and some better to opioids.
If there is a choice I would go with cannabis if possible, as i believe the long term effects are better.
Opioids have so many bad side effects, some of them that you aren't really aware of, that I think they should be used as little as possible.

I think it depends on the person. Some people have different sensitivities to pain. I can get by on cannabis alone. I have never been in the situation where I've needed anything stronger. Concentrates have been where I've found the most relief for my ailments.

Thcvhunter

Veteran
Making your own RSO is easy.

Place buds or lightly ground buds in a mason jar, seal, and place in a preheated oven at 220-240 for 40 min. Let jar cool bwfore openning to keep the terps in.
Add enough Wverclear to submerge all the cannabis.
Rotate, dont shake, the jar for 5-10 minutes (depending on flavor) and strain through a cheese cloth onto a pyrex plate/container.
Leave this container slightly covored, to allow airflow, in a warm room until the alcohol evaporates. You can cautiously use a hotplate to speed up the evaporation but I dont go above 90 deg - ever.
Now, if you want more THCA/CBDA skip the decarb process or shorten it.

you can add soy lecithin to the first process to increase bodily absorbtion of the cannabinoids.

EastCoast710

Can we please keep the discussion to the benefits and affects of CANNABIS?

:canabis:

This is not MAPS website, nor a compendium of psychedelics.

What we do want to hear about are the uses of cannabis as medicine and how well it works.

Thank you!

:tiphat:

almost RIDICULOUS that we cannot have other conversations on a site that I can still find mushroom threads on lol..

do u understand 90% of the people here are illegally growing? so whats the difference talking about an illegal shroom.. over a federally illegal plant?? someone should talk to a LAWYER cause u guys are stopping VERY important conversations from happening based on BS. talking about uses not how to grow sell or get.. lol..

its just funny to me that's all.. ill go to another site.. let them make money off me and talk about things that are illegal.. same as cannabis under federal laws.

Bongstar420

Maximal medical efficiency comes from THC combined with your normal pain meds...THC boosts analgesia of opioids and synergizes anti-inflammatory properties with acetaminophen.

Getting blasted isn't being medically efficient.

Also, CBD will probably yield as good of results vs THC...hint hint

why is THC promoted so heavily by "medical" users?

I think that despite no clinical evidence, THC is positive on sleep because it increases SLS and decreases REM. By this, I mean no one thinks THC is a sleep medicine though it objectively increases slow wave sleep. I wouldn't go past 25% CBD in a dose for sleep. My opinion is that CBD is mildly alerting.

And strangely, I get almost no effect from opiates till I smoke some THC..Then I am both blasted, and actually getting analgesia. CBD might work, but I rarely have pain that "needs" treatment. My experience is with injuries that pot won't help in its self.

I have used both for pain..

The Opiods work great for the post surgery and recovery. I had a pump which I could hit a button and get extra dilaudid. That worked great except that I was whacked.

At home for recovery I have Percocet which I used for a few days. Now I eat edibles as needed (still doing Chemo) and Motrin.

What I have found during 6 weeks of Radiation was that Motrin and a 60mg Indica CanaCookie worked about as good as a Vicodin with my radiation burns :woohoo:

The Motrin would initially kick in and then the CanaCookie helped and I forgot all about the pain. The CanaCookies also help me sleep through the night.

They both work and can work together, but they don't work the same.

Peace

Last edited:

corky1968

Veteran
Opium laced hash would be nice for those special occasions when your in real pain.
I wouldn't recommend it for daily usage because of its addiction potential.

Bongstar420

Why? Opium is the least efficient way to get benefits from opiods. It has several alkaloids which cause unpleasant effects and no analgesia. I guess, if your poor and too dumb to figure out how to extract morphine as well as being too stubborn to support a pharmacy. Hydrocodone is a stronger analgesic and less euphoric.

Opium laced hash would be nice for those special occasions when your in real pain.
I wouldn't recommend it for daily usage because of its addiction potential.

corky1968

Veteran
Why? Opium is the least efficient way to get benefits from opiods. It has several alkaloids which cause unpleasant effects and no analgesia. I guess, if your poor and too dumb to figure out how to extract morphine as well as being too stubborn to support a pharmacy. Hydrocodone is a stronger analgesic and less euphoric.

Don't worry, I can extract alkaloids from opium, purify
and convert them if I wanted to. But that's not my goal.

EastFortRock

For aches in joints and chronic pain , edible cannabis works. For shooting nerve pain in the leg from a hurt disc in my back, gabapentin worked great, better than opiates. Quit pharmaceutical drugs as soon as possible, is what I do. Even gabapentin had a withdrawal side effect. Cannabis doesn't work on acute pain for me. Opiates for the win when it comes to acute pain.

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
420giveaway
I've got a gunshot wound on one side of my head that has hurt on/off for years. At first pharmaceuticals were the only thing that really worked but as time has gone by Ive been able to treat myself with edibles and smoking. Learning to live with the constant dull pain is also part of it but I couldnt stand the feeling and bad dreams I was having with the pills. High CBD Glycerin extract during the day, smoking and edibles made with budder at night really help,particularly when I have trouble sleeping.I usually get a bout of tinnitus as a warning before the real pain comes on and that is when I know it''s time to medicate. Ive tried topicals but they dont seem to work as well as ingesting. A couple Aleves or Tylenols also help when taken at the same time.

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
Thanks Ahab

Thanks Ahab

Sorry to hear about your pain but glad you are having positive effects using Cannabis.

It's been working for me.

Peace

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
after my surgery they gave me that shit. I took a few the first days after and then switched to weed..i hate that shit and it makes it hard to use the restroom ...I don't know if weed blocks the pain like opioids as much as lets you forget about it..fuck cancer....yeehaw

Latest posts

Latest posts