What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Trying to salvage

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Long story but I was given two grocery bags of freezer burned frozen buds. They were put in the bag the day they were chopped down and then put in the freezer wet.
I guess bud rot attacked every plant and this is the only part mold free to the naked eye.

They want me to make bho because I have an open blasting tube.

What's the best way to go about salvaging blocks of icebud?

troutman

Seed Whore
This could be tricky if the buds were soaking wet.

Reason: Butane will evaporate fast if you blast it as is. Leaving a watery mess.

So dry a small sample of buds in an oven on low heat spread thin to decarb it as well and test that out.

Then try blasting away and see how it works.

If it works out then continue. :tiphat:

Good Luck

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
As trout said, open blasting isn't suited for fresh frozen. It isn't possible to keep at ideal temperature for extraction without a jacketed or otherwise cooled system.

Do a small test run if they need to "see to believe".

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
I dried out some in the toaster oven, got a very dark runny sappy oil. Is there a better way I should do... Make that I COULD do from a kitchen with no lab materials?

Chop up the frozen material in the food processor then blast. Comes out way better than drying anything out and messing with it, IME.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I dried out some in the toaster oven, got a very dark runny sappy oil. Is there a better way I should do... Make that I COULD do from a kitchen with no lab materials?

Yes a decarb will do that.

Try getting Greywolf's attention.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Long story but I was given two grocery bags of freezer burned frozen buds. They were put in the bag the day they were chopped down and then put in the freezer wet.
I guess bud rot attacked every plant and this is the only part mold free to the naked eye.

They want me to make bho because I have an open blasting tube.

What's the best way to go about salvaging blocks of icebud?

Hopefully they had no standing water on them when frozen, to coat the trichomes.

Fresh frozen has too many terpenes and water to make shatter, but you can make a tasty extract. As noted its tougher open blasting, where temperature control is more difficult.

If you insulate your column with pipe wrap, and freeze it before packing quickly and refreezing, and then extract with a frozen LPG mixture containing enough propane to have can pressure frozen, you can maximize your extraction.

Freezing fresh material ruptures the plant cells, exposing them to the solvent once they defrost, so you need keep them frozen, if you wish to minimize that.

If it defrosts in the process, you will also pick up water, which requires more heat to remove. That will typically decarboxylate the material and make it loose.

If the extract smells and tastes moldy, you can redissolve in ethanol and filter out the mold material and spores using a 0.2 micron syringe filter. Botrytis doesn't produce aflatoxins.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Hopefully they had no standing water on them when frozen, to coat the trichomes.

She chopped it down while it was raining, then put in unsealed grocery bags. There is definitely ice encasing some of buds especially near the opening of the bag

Fresh frozen has too many terpenes and water to make shatter, but you can make a tasty extract. As noted its tougher open blasting, where temperature control is more difficult.

That's fine being shatter isn't a necessity.

If you insulate your column with pipe wrap, and freeze it before packing quickly and refreezing, and then extract with a frozen LPG mixture containing enough propane to have can pressure frozen, you can maximize your extraction.

Freezing fresh material ruptures the plant cells, exposing them to the solvent once they defrost, so you need keep them frozen, if you wish to minimize that.

If it defrosts in the process, you will also pick up water, which requires more heat to remove. That will typically decarboxylate the material and make it loose.

I can definitely insulate my column. I'll have to do some research to find propane without the added stench.
If the extract smells and tastes moldy, you can redissolve in ethanol and filter out the mold material and spores using a 0.2 micron syringe filter. Botrytis doesn't produce aflatoxins.

Is their a way to place a .2 micron filter on my open blasting tube? So I wouldn't have to force the extract thru when it is at it's thickest?

Thank you all so much!!!!
I love the icmag community

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
She chopped it down while it was raining, then put in unsealed grocery bags. There is definitely ice encasing some of buds especially near the opening of the bag

That's fine being shatter isn't a necessity.

I can definitely insulate my column. I'll have to do some research to find propane without the added stench.

Is their a way to place a .2 micron filter on my open blasting tube? So I wouldn't have to force the extract thru when it is at it's thickest?

Thank you all so much!!!!
I love the icmag community

Ice coating the trichomes will prevent them from being extracted.

I was referring to canned lighter butane with propane added, because you were open blasting, but if you can get a 70/30 mix of Instrument grade or even Refrigerant grade, there won't be mercaptans added for odor.

0.2 micron is too fine for a column filter. It will clog even before removing the LPG. Is there enough Botrytis present for the extract to taste and smell like mold?

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Ice coating the trichomes will prevent them from being extracted.

I was referring to canned lighter butane with propane added, because you were open blasting, but if you can get a 70/30 mix of Instrument grade or even Refrigerant grade, there won't be mercaptans added for odor.

0.2 micron is too fine for a column filter. It will clog even before removing the LPG. Is there enough Botrytis present for the extract to taste and smell like mold?

I still can't believe I'm talking with gw.

As far as the ice- Try defrost the surface ice without completely thawing?

Didn't realize that propane was added to butane in some lighter fluids, I'll see what I can find.

Most of the botryis was cut out, may be some internal but I didn't taste anything off.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I still can't believe I'm talking with gw.

As far as the ice- Try defrost the surface ice without completely thawing?

Didn't realize that propane was added to butane in some lighter fluids, I'll see what I can find.

Most of the botryis was cut out, may be some internal but I didn't taste anything off.

In the fur.

Don't think you will have much success with partial defrosting, but you might try a sample.

If it doesn't smell or taste moldy, there is no need to filter.