What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

fullers earth and charcoal carbon, will these work?

attachment.php

attachment.php

I've looked at the offerings on Best Value Vac's website and I can't seem to find any reason to purchase from them over these options from Amazon. Besides the reputability of the selling party on Amazon being questionable compared to BVV is there any product descriptions differences that would indicate these are the wrong items to use to polish BHO?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-08-20 at 4.47.04 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-08-20 at 4.47.04 PM.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Screen Shot 2018-08-20 at 4.46.32 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-08-20 at 4.46.32 PM.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 20

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
View Image

View Image

I've looked at the offerings on Best Value Vac's website and I can't seem to find any reason to purchase from them over these options from Amazon. Besides the reputability of the selling party on Amazon being questionable compared to BVV is there any product descriptions differences that would indicate these are the wrong items to use to polish BHO?

Fuller's Earth/Bentonite and charcoal are used to lighten colors, though they also absorb some of the good stuff.

Thanks GW,

I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some technical difference that I should be worried about between the Amazon offering and what's coming from scientific supply houses or what the extractor companies are offering.

AOD2012

I have the key, now i need to find the lock..
Veteran
GW - quick question on using fullers earth/bentonite clay. How exactly do you go about this?

I basically just made a cake of fullers in my buchner funnel, but it basically turned rock solid and was very hard to filter through. Do I need to mix it in before hand? Should the solution be warm/cold? Let me know when you get a chance.

Thanks.

aod

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
GW - quick question on using fullers earth/bentonite clay. How exactly do you go about this?

I basically just made a cake of fullers in my buchner funnel, but it basically turned rock solid and was very hard to filter through. Do I need to mix it in before hand? Should the solution be warm/cold? Let me know when you get a chance.

Thanks.

aod

You might try making a slurry of fullers earth and concentrate suspended in alcohol, and then filter that. Here is a u-tube example filtering water soluble paint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=5d57g-1GMP8

It should work at room temperature.

Celite 545 is a filter media that people make a cake of to filter carbon becsuse it is super fine. My whatman 4-7u filter paper won't stop it.

In a summit research video about winterizing for activated carbon when he talked ammount he mentioned 10% of the weight of wax plus like 2% granular and he mentioned heat was helpful and at one point whilet talking he mentioned 180 degrees. Of the two times I did it when I put a mason jar of grain bin a pot of water that was just boiling and let it heat it came out lighter than when I did room temp. I've found nothing on Fuller's earth ratio mj specific yet but I planned to try the same amount as carbon as a starting point. My first attempts I used about 1:2 or 2:1 ratio so way too much but luckily it's cheap. Summit has some filter media I think its the same as 545 just privately branded but I'm not positive.

p0opstlnksal0t

Celite 545 is a filter media that people make a cake of to filter carbon becsuse it is super fine. My whatman 4-7u filter paper won't stop it.

In a summit research video about winterizing for activated carbon when he talked ammount he mentioned 10% of the weight of wax plus like 2% granular and he mentioned heat was helpful and at one point whilet talking he mentioned 180 degrees. Of the two times I did it when I put a mason jar of grain bin a pot of water that was just boiling and let it heat it came out lighter than when I did room temp. I've found nothing on Fuller's earth ratio mj specific yet but I planned to try the same amount as carbon as a starting point. My first attempts I used about 1:2 or 2:1 ratio so way too much but luckily it's cheap. Summit has some filter media I think its the same as 545 just privately branded but I'm not positive.

would you want to heat similarly for a Bentonite bleaching clay wash?