What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Landraces most frost tolerant?

Sign

I've been consuming as much mazar-i-sharif info as I can lately and I've seen reports that it has survived temps into the teens (f) and that is incredibly impressive. If I were looking to grow north of the 40th this should be the strain I need to buy right? I would do an indoor grow initially with all the seeds I start with to get as many as I can initially but then after that I'd be growing outdoors to try to acclimate them further, once again doing just seed grows and hopefully getting to save seed from some survivors.

Am I on the right track here and looking at the most appropriate genetics available at this time? I've seen the pics and read the grows and I think I'm in love with mis already, any recommendations on which breeder is selling the most pure version of the original? Initial research is suggesting RSC.

I've been out of growing for about 10 years, so many new things to learn it's wonderful.

Thanks!

Sign

Oh no, trsc won't ship to the US, I see it at seedsman sourced from Delta 9 lab, going to ask them if they went to the same lengths to keep it pure

burningfire

Veteran
I grew a nepalese plant from TRSC and one day the ground was frozen and hard as a rock, the plant was in a sorry state but the next morning the ground had thawed and the plant looked like it's old perky self.

Ace seeds has some good northern genetics as well.

thejact55

Ive collected most of rsc. I got them from seedsman when they still took visa. Got a mastercard?
They have legit landrace, unworked. Worst case you get f2 or f3 open pollination...or best case right from the source.
As burningfire said, any nepal genetic would do well. Look into nanda devi, its an early finisher, but still too late for me at 48N. Mazar or chitrali would do ok. Mazar can flower into november. Chitrali has alot of variation, finishing mid october to some point on november.
Other good options are:
Ace
Cannabiogen
Tropical seeds (maybe ciskei, an early south african landrace?)
Underground collective, but good luck finding them in states.
French touch for reunion island varieties, but indoor only for their long flowering super tropical plants.

Its getting super hard to find easy access to alot of strains if youre trying to pay by card...

Sign

The mazar outside started flowering a couple weeks ago. Temps have plummeted recently and the drizzly dark days have begun. The ones I placed outside are all the stretchy more narrow leaf phenotypes. The buds are still popcorn sized but the plants are massive compared to what I'm used to dealing with indoors.

If this finishes outside I'll continue growing the narrower leaf type outdoors otherwise I'll cull them from the breeding program.

The wide leaf growing in the tent under the cmh is done, but I'm going to give it another week of light for nighttime use. I sampled it yesterday and was happy that it wasn't the low thc phenotype as it got me really stoned. Having no luck cloning it though but I have tons of seeds on it as I pollinated a branch.. That and it went herm at about 8 weeks and the fem seed is nearly done. I don't get crazy about herm plants, I just segregate the seeds as normal and fem.

The strain is very calcium hungry and I didn't address it in time, I think that might be the cause of herming

Limeygreen

Veteran
I know someone who grew mazar from delta 9 labs, they liked it, tolerates decent frosts, finished mid to late october, 42 N. First frosts usually start around half october here for a reference. There was a paint thinner smelling pheno (if I remember that description correctly) that was completed immune to botrytis when the other phenos had botrytis.

Sign

Do you have a link to that grow? I was so excited about pure mazar I got the offering from RSC as well as Delta 9 but have never seen a single grow from them. I don't know if it's a continuation of rsc's line, Gypsies line or another obtained from the region. It looks like Delta 9 just uses it to breed to other types, they assured me it was landrace.

dugzy

Alot of ganja crops in Lesotho are grown at altitude where it drops very cold at night, not sure about hard frosts but those types are very hardy. Good friends grow Lesotho that has been adapted to north European climates and is very early to ripen.

Not sure if these are available nowadays

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Anything from the Himalayas should fare well in the cold weather.

If you can't get that plan to clone try revegging it.
But it's a herm so do as you will.

Sign

Yeah I read many reports that landraces typically herm rather easily but this is my first time growing it. I can't tell if it is light bleaching or calcium deficiency, but I have it lots of calcium and magnesium through root and foliar, so perhaps being the first time it's genetics ever grew out under a cmh is causing the issues.

Another strain grew right next to the mazars-ate the same food and had the same light while growing in the same medium and has no issues whatsoever.

Could the first generation under artificial lighting be more prone to nanners? Is that a thing?

I don't mind the seeds, there won't be many and I don't sell. Picking out the odd seed here and there doesn't bother me and I do intend on continuing the strain.

Maybe next run with these seeds maturing now will be more acclimated to the vagaries of my system?

Limeygreen

Veteran
My thoughts are for the landrace types, they should have as big as room for their roots as you can allow to help prevent some stress. Bananas versus male pods says to me stress related, but that is an opinion not fact.

Either way, don't let them get root bound, flower smaller than usual to allow root system to keep going well into flowering.

Sign

Thanks, yeah I can see the roots being an issue too, these guys really wanted to grow. I think continually growing the next generation in the same environment will fix the issues though. That being said the issues were minor and didn't detract my appreciation of the strain in the slightest, the sample I smoked was spectacular to me as well so really no regrets at all, I'm just seeing areas for improvement and plan on running the pure variety as well as hybridising it with all my other strains.

The only real problem is keeping plant limits legal hehe.

Good times.