What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What process will create vape oil?

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Questions:

Are you using this low heat technique for the entire evaporation process? No distillation just open evaporation in the dish until it's all gone?

What is your end product? Is it the golden amber "honey oil" suitable for vaping right out of the dish?

Please be very specific or attach pictures of the final product if you can.

Thanks.

Yes, just evaporate the solvent off in the Pyrex dish. I suggest you try this tech before investing a lot of time and money. An inexpensive heat mat under the Pyrex dish works nicely. Put a fan on it with a single layer of cheese cloth etc. stretched across the top of the dish to filter out dust and debris.

https://www.amazon.com/Vipe-Reptile...&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=reptile+heat+mat&psc=1

You can use your vacuum chamber for the final purge, but you'll need a cold trap for actual solvent reclamation.

Last edited:

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
For vacuum distillation, I use the cold trap below to capture (most) any alcohol before it gets to my pump. I use dry ice and iso in the top and it gets -76C. I use this trap sometimes during purge because I can pull a lower vacuum without it.

https://www.bestvaluevacs.com/1-5-gallon-2qt-tank-dry-ice-liquid-nitrogen-cold-trap.html

You will likely use a sub-$100 vacuum pump, and honestly some alcohol wont kill it if you change oil after use. You can see small bubbles form in your vacuum oil when it starts to get a lot of alcohol. These cheap pumps are meant for HVAC work and seem to be able to take a beating.

Like your earlier video showed, there are simple ways to process with ethanol that don't require a lot of money. It is just that these processes can take a while and yield results are stripped of terpenes and fully decarbed. You will get a fine extract that will get you high but I think that you will find it one-dimensional and actually prefer to smoke the flowers. By all means try a test with 7-10 grams using the simple methods. It will give you a baseline as you get more control over the process.

All that being said, if you grow your own and plan to make your extracts for a while, investing in solid pieces of extraction kit can make some sense, but everyone has different financial situation and goals. People with $,$$$ gear are drooling over investor backed ops with millions. It is all relative...

Not sure about the box that you described, but a vaccum oven is a step up from the kettle design that gives much more control over the heating process. You certainly don't need it, but I have found very useful as a precise convection oven for mixing terpenes and shatter as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Across-International-AT09-220-Back-Fill-Capability/dp/B00HU8SMKU/ (This is actually a damn good price)

WFF

MrBungle

my buddy swore by this method... destroyed all his vape cartridges.... bought an enail and rig... and now lives happily ever after :D

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
No. It's a controversial subject, but I don't.

I certainly applaud you for being forthright since there is a great deal of "confusion" on the subject by many end users beyond the controversy

can't ask for more than that

I wonder how many processors have the integrity to use higher quality starting material?

Is it possible to discern from testing what quality starting material was used in separation and recombination processes like these?

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
does it get the same duty as a off the shelf cart?
I use the Bubbleman Trinity pen, It was designed specifically for rosin diluted with cannabis derived terpenes. It's my daily smoker while at work or on the go. I run about a gram per week through it. The dilution rate is very low, like 1:10, just enough terpenes to make it a sauce. At home I just use my rig and nail.

I've used both cannabis derived and other plant derived terpenes. The cannabis terpenes taste great, but are super expensive. I'm pretty impressed with the True Terpenes products. They are derived from organic plant sources and vacuum distilled. They then make blends to simulate the terpene profile of cannabis strains.

They are similar, but not exact. They do, however, modulate the high like the cannabis derived terpenes. Dipping a sativa dab in some Skywalker OG blend will make it more sedative.

For daily use, the other plant derived terpenes are great and economical. When I do get cannabis derived (Blue River mainly) terpenes they are like a special treat.

So you are using the terpenes to both dilute and add taste to the cannabis.

What if, like me, you have little sense of taste. Are the terpenes the way to go in my case?

robotwithdreams

Veteran
I use the Bubbleman Trinity pen, It was designed specifically for rosin diluted with cannabis derived terpenes. It's my daily smoker while at work or on the go. I run about a gram per week through it. The dilution rate is very low, like 1:10, just enough terpenes to make it a sauce. At home I just use my rig and nail.

I've used both cannabis derived and other plant derived terpenes. The cannabis terpenes taste great, but are super expensive. I'm pretty impressed with the True Terpenes products. They are derived from organic plant sources and vacuum distilled. They then make blends to simulate the terpene profile of cannabis strains.

They are similar, but not exact. They do, however, modulate the high like the cannabis derived terpenes. Dipping a sativa dab in some Skywalker OG blend will make it more sedative.

For daily use, the other plant derived terpenes are great and economical. When I do get cannabis derived (Blue River mainly) terpenes they are like a special treat.

i recently tried a cartridge from a dispensary that had canna terpenes added back to it. It seemed like the perfect viscosity for that kind of cartridge. It was surprising smooth. Also quite potent. The price however, 75$ For what must be a half a gram of concentrate with the terps added is excessive. How many grams of concentrate, bho or rosin, can a.25ml vial from blue river prepare for cartridges?

Many thanks.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
i recently tried a cartridge from a dispensary that had canna terpenes added back to it. It seemed like the perfect viscosity for that kind of cartridge. It was surprising smooth. Also quite potent. The price however, 75$ For what must be a half a gram of concentrate with the terps added is excessive. How many grams of concentrate, bho or rosin, can a.25ml vial from blue river prepare for cartridges?

Many thanks.

I did about 1.5 grams with the 0.25ml. That filled about 3 cartridges.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
The cannabis derived terpenes are more flavorful than VISCOSITY which is "flavorless". Their Skywalker OG blend is pretty good.

Holy Terps, Connoisseur Concentrates and several others are also selling what they call a pure terpene flavorless solution for thinning concentrates for pen cartridges. Some claim to need as little as 0.1mL solution per gram of shatter, to make it work in a standard pen. Most recommend 0.25-0.3mL per gram. All of the sites claim their product is a "proprietary blend", often organic, and contain NO glycol or glycerin and only terpenes. One or two of the cheaper ones evidently do add a "fog machine" flavor but people seem to like them in general. Anyone want to venture a guess as to what terpenes are actually in them? I'm sure they're MUCH cheaper in bulk.

coldcanna

Veteran
Just another question to add to the mix here- I was curious about the contents of the standard 500mg disposable cartridges that are so common. How much BHO goes into each one? I was assuming about 1/2 gram but that's a wild guess