What's new

Bulk Microbe Source?

barletta

Bandaid
Veteran
Does anyone know where to source bulk quantities of individual Myco's and Bene's? I could have SWORN that fungi.com was selling individual strains by weight not too long ago.

Does anyone know of a decent source to purchase blends or otherwise dormant Mykes/Trichs from?

Thank's in advance, guys. :D

Not sure how much bulk you want, but General Hydro sells:

Subculture-M which is the myco's and Subculture-B which is the bene's.... not sure how big they come tho, but I am using them and like my results.

The subculture products are more pricey than others I have seen, but I picked this up before I ever saw the Plant success tablets, you ever hear of those?

barletta

Bandaid
Veteran
Smokesalot - Plant success is prolly the only hydro store product that I've paid full retail for, and thought it was a bargain. :D

B1 - Thank you!

C

CT Guy

Best sources in the US are Mycorrhizal Applications, www.mycorrhizae.com (this is where Paul Stamets gets his myco for fungi.com). And then www.fungi.com (Paul Stamets site).

If you can order in large enough quantities, you can get wholesale rates. It's really not that much, we don't order all that much and we qualify and a re-seller and get better rates.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
When you PMed me I thought you meant bacteria. If you are after mycorrhizal spores, I concur with CT Guy or check out the Rodale Institute site to learn to grow your own. Don't mix trichoderma with myc. It eats myc hyphae in a restricted environment.

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
When you PMed me I thought you meant bacteria. If you are after mycorrhizal spores, I concur with CT Guy or check out the Rodale Institute site to learn to grow your own. Don't mix trichoderma with myc. It eats myc hyphae in a restricted environment.

interesting, never heard this before, so AN piranha is counter productive

barletta

Bandaid
Veteran
Thanks fellers :D

That's good to know that Mykes and Trichs don't get along in the same package. I assume in the rhizoshpere they co-exist no problem? I shot off an email to mycorrhizae.com, and a few foreign suppliers. Hopefully I sell all of my goodies this weekend, and can get a pallet of Mykes delivered next week...

Seriously, though. If I were to make up 10lbs worth of organic ferts (5lbs castings, 1lb Kelp meal, Crab meal, Crab shell, Cottonseed meal, Guano), and inoculate with BOTH mykes and trichs, the bacteria would feed on the fungi? I have seen many organic products that claim to have both added to the same package. I understand that organic ferts by nature will support both organisms, but are they ok all in the same package? The reason that I'm trying to REALLY get the added microbes is primarily to put it on the package.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Trichoderma is a fungi. What bacteria are you referring to? A product with both Trichoderma and endomycorrhizal spores can be counter-productive. Trichoderma is better used specifically for fungal pathogen infections. It should be sprouted prior to use for best effect. If there is no pathogenic fungi for it to eat, it will eat other fungi present, like mycorrhizal. Endomycorrhizal is best used in the hole or on the roots at planting time and not in a fertilizer mix. It is akin to mixing seeds up with fertilizer to put in your soil. Only some will come to fruition. At least thats my take.

barletta

Bandaid
Veteran
Gotcha bro. I'm just getting my head around the how and why of bacteria/fungi. Am I correct to assume that products that market themselves as having 'both' (bacteria and fungi) are doing so primarily to sell product? The example that I'm thinking of is the Espoma Bio-tone plus. It seems to be 'raw' organics, and they claim 15 added Bacteria strains, and 8 Mycorrhizae strains. I just looked, and there are no 'trichoderma'. I'm wondering if the bacteria/fungi that they add live in harmony, either in the packaging, or in my soil? Or do the bacteria want to feed off of the fungi?

Really, thank you guys for your help.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes, there are products with bacteria species and mycorrhizal fungi spores. No they are not active in the packaging. I recommend you learn the A-Z of 'the microbial nutrient loop', 'the soil food web' before you give any consideration to mixing fertilizers to sell (if that is what you are contemplating) Read 'Teaming With Microbes'

C

CT Guy

interesting, never heard this before, so AN piranha is counter productive

Pretty sure "Pirahna" is made by Mycorrhizal Applications (listed in my above post) and is just re-branded by AN. Therefore, it's probably a good product, though overpriced.

B

been

What exactly do you consider to be "bulk"? You say you like Plant Success, so why not stick with that?

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Best sources in the US are Mycorrhizal Applications, www.mycorrhizae.com (this is where Paul Stamets gets his myco for fungi.com). And then www.fungi.com (Paul Stamets site).

If you can order in large enough quantities, you can get wholesale rates. It's really not that much, we don't order all that much and we qualify and a re-seller and get better rates.
CT Guy

The product(s) from your link are available by a reseller in Portland, Oregon

The endo granulated is $9.80 and the endo micronized is $14.60 per lb.

They also carry the endo/ecto product from the same supplier.

HTH

CC

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Pretty sure "Pirahna" is made by Mycorrhizal Applications (listed in my above post) and is just re-branded by AN. Therefore, it's probably a good product, though overpriced.

I was saying Piranha by advanced nutrients has trichoderma fungi, and endo and ecto mycorrhizal, which by microbeman's statement , this product is bad for containers

"A product with both Trichoderma and endomycorrhizal spores can be counter-productive" <---- microbeman's words

what I'm trying to get at, if I'm right is to not use AN's Piranha with indoor gardens. it would be counter-productive ?? and that would apply to fungi.com MycoGrow™ Soluble as they use trichoderma also.