What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The official FallenBuddha holiday cooking help line thread.

FallenBuddha

Chat Mod
Veteran
Hello and happy holidays my friends. In honor of the season and in holding with my personal belief that good food doesnt have to be difficult to prepare, I will be happy to share my knowledge of cooking with anyone feeling overwhelmed with making a holiday feast. So if you have a question please feel free to ask, and I will try to answer as quickley as possible. If its an extreme emergency, pm me.

peace -fb

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks FB!! what a great holiday gesture :) We appreciate you being here .

this is a great idea buddha, now how can i get 2 packages of ramen, 3 ketchup packets and a 6 pack to taste like thanksgiving dinner?

lol jk, hope you all eat well!

Miss Blunted

Resident Bongtender
Veteran
Thank you FB....Poopy and I are moving into a beautiful house that's better for entertaining and I thought that I may have my parents over to MY house for Christmas. That's extremely kind of you....and so thoughtful. Cheers!

yortbogey

To Have More ... Desire Less
Veteran
itZ.that time.........

itZ.that time.........

BUMP............:bump::bump::bump:

I would like to offer my services this year,........ANY.....cooking problems......I can help......recipes, planning, portion control, foodcost,
transporting.....I got 25+ years of REAL.........Culinary WiZardry...under my Hat..........So I'm hear to SHARE.and help

hers a tid-bit of a post......

for a thick Marsala.........U need to make a small amount of ROUX.....

equal part flour and oil........blended over low heat and cooked for a few minutes until...the mixture goes blonde......

Roux has stages.......white, blonde, nutyy, choc, and Black.....
each stage has its own taste and flavour profile......and of course application........

Marsala being a slightly sweet / slightly amber colored wine.....

meanz U will get a Brownish /Kahiki color sauce......

traditionally.......Saute' Shallots......NOT...green onions....ie. scallions.....BUT.true Shallots.....small beige colored in the onion family....BUT much sweeter.....

peel and mince the shallot......saute fro 3-5 minutes in EV0O......
then add .......SMALL amount of ROUX.to shallots......
cook 2 more minutes until.......Roux incorporates w/ Shallot.....
then while pan is HOT.......add marsala.......on average fora cup
of finished sauce U only need.......1/4 cup marsala.......

allow the marsala to reduce to.....a Foam....a little more than 3/4 of the way.....@that point the wine will FOAM....from the Heavy reduction of protiens and Fats......this is good......

Now add......STOCK.......Veg or Chicken is fine.......again Reduce until.......thick.........@ least 1/2.......
BY know the Sauce should be......."Coming together"......
Wisk in !/4 cup of HEAVY Cream........and Remove from heat.....AND
STRAIN.thru VERY fine Seive...strainer.....China Kap......preferable A
Chinoise............very fine french strainer......

adjust salt, and pepper......then wisk in 3 fill pats of WARM.....room temp....REAL....Butter.....
and sum 1/8 tsp..... finely minces Tarragon......

and walla.............Creamed Marsala......

SO really....any body.....recipes, and technique...........just ask away

yortbogey

To Have More ... Desire Less
Veteran
W0W.so know body cooking on a sunday...hard to believe..........

here is a smidg'in for U............

Sweet potato Latke...........

Shred one whole peeled swwet potato.......DO not rinse the potato once it is shreded.....that milky film is the starch and U want that.....
place in bowl....toss w/ one beat'in EGG wash.......

then add.......Matzo meal......until the mixture becomes firm enuff to handle and play with............

know form / pat out sum...........THIN......potato pancakes....U know like pattyy'z........BUT they gotta BE thin...so the will cook better......

then Brown / saute' these bad boyz in equal part olive oil and butter.......the oil carriez the heat ......but the butter will help brown the Latke.......making for a VERY nutty little background on the naturally sweet potato.......duh...sweet potato......
season w/ Salt & Pepper.........

serve w/ cold Sour cream.......laced w/ minced pineapple Sage.......
and a splash of lime juice for the acid.........

thatz what I'm have'in for dinner............

anybody got a g00d Latke recipe to share.................

sutra1

I'll play, this recipe requires a pressure cooker

Hudson River "Pot" Roast

2-3 lb. chuck or rump roast
2 cloves garlic sliced thinly
1/3 cup flour
Olive oil
1/2 cup red wine (preferably Rhone style or syrah)
1/2 cup salt-free beef broth
1 stalk celery
4 to 6 medium carrots cut into 3" pieces
4 to 5 small red or fingerling potatoes
2 turnips peeled quartered

using a sharp knife cut slices into the beef and push in the garlic pieces, do this all over the roast

salt and pepper the roast to taste then dust with flour, brown the roast on both sides. Pour the wine & beef broth over the roast, and place celery stalk on the meat. Cover. Bring it up to pressure and then reduce heat. Cook 40 minutes. Remove cooker from heat and place under running water to release pressure. Discard celery. Add carrots, potatoes, and turnips. Return cooker to stove, cover and bring up to pressure. as soon as pressure is achieved turn off stove and allow to cool slowly while veggies cook and the pressure cooker lid can be removed, about 10 minutes. take out the meat and veggies, slice beef and arrange on serving plate with veggies. make gravy with pan juices or use them as au jus.

Enjoy!

Pretty damn simple and very stylish. Yer guests/ family will love it, mine do.

geeker

chicken puffs

chicken puffs

i came across this recipe while looking for things that would be good to make with the magic butter. its kind of like a crab rangoon, just with out the crab or wonton wrap. i will be making these for turkey day.

Ingredients

• 2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cubed
  • 3 tablespoons chopped onion
  • 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
  • 3/4 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
  • 6 tablespoons butter
  • 3 (10 ounce) cans refrigerated crescent roll dough

Directions

1. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, slowly cook and stir skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, onion and garlic. Cook until onions are tender and chicken is lightly browned.
  2. In a medium bowl, blend chicken mixture, cream cheese and butter until creamy.
  3. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
  4. Unroll croissants and divide in half to create 12 rectangles. Place approximately one tablespoon of the chicken mixture on each rectangle. Fold into balls.
  5. Arrange balls on a large baking sheet. Bake in the preheated oven 12 minutes, or until golden brown.