What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Reasonably priced effective LED lights

Del_9_THC

Hello all!

I have much experience with growing using HPS/MH lights, but none with LED. I am open to trying new lights, and I do think LEDs will lead the way at some point in the future. But, I find many of the fixtures to be way too expensive, at the current time. If I want to grow, in a small grow space (about 6-7 plants), what kind of LED systems would you recommend. (And what price range are they in?)

My current setup, for comparison sakes, has been lit by either a 400w or 600 watt hid lamp and to be fair, 400watts is sufficient.

I have read many many post on the site re LEDs and it sounds like many of the posters are willing to spend big money on the lights. I am only willing to spend marginally more than what I would pay for hid lights.

Thanks, in advance.
Also, diy is NOT an option for me: no tools and nowhere to use them.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hello all!

I have much experience with growing using HPS/MH lights, but none with LED. I am open to trying new lights, and I do think LEDs will lead the way at some point in the future. But, I find many of the fixtures to be way too expensive, at the current time. If I want to grow, in a small grow space (about 6-7 plants), what kind of LED systems would you recommend. (And what price range are they in?)

My current setup, for comparison sakes, has been lit by either a 400w or 600 watt hid lamp and to be fair, 400watts is sufficient.

I have read many many post on the site re LEDs and it sounds like many of the posters are willing to spend big money on the lights. I am only willing to spend marginally more than what I would pay for hid lights.

Thanks, in advance.
Also, diy is NOT an option for me: no tools and nowhere to use them.
Then you're not prepared to make the jump to LED.

Good performance comes at a price in the LED realm.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
6-7 plants means 1.5 sft average/plant= > 50 ACTUAL watts/plant. The watts being relative as they are not created equal. Cheap lights tend to be weak (low umoles) with a short life expectancy . Actually umoles is the meaningful measurement @ ~ 400 umoles/ sft

900 watt actual watts, from a quality led, will cost ~ $1.50++ per watt

Most lights are compromised by too much red, which causes excess stretch during veg. Ideal is to have reds on a separate o/o switch to introduce once veg is ended. One of the reasons why I use Amare Technologies

Check out Growthstar Spider COB (I think that is the name if you are in the US). The 6 MCOB version would probably suffice for your needs. They also have a new one called Scorpion. I have the spider COB 2 and highly recommend them.

Here is a pic of Cookies Kush grown with the COB 2. Have a look at my album for some more pics.

picture.php

rolandomota

I like led light bulbs and clamp light fixtures. I cant afford and dont like the expensive ones what a waste of money but thats just me some are happy to fork over the loot. I want to try growing with a 30 watt 3000 lumen led bulb and a 4 bulb 17 watt grow to see if theirs any difference. I figure they can each light a 2x2 space with 3 feet of plant height 4 max some sidelights so the bottom isnt larfy anyway thats what i would do

linky

To get a higher end great performing led that is reasonably priced and a relatively easy diy I would look at quantum boards. Could get 2 or 3 boards and run em at 150 watts each. Check horticulture lighting group for quantum boards. Else cobs are a great choice as well, if you do not want to do a diy kinda thing check out timber grow lights, their framework, check out something in the 600 watt range for a 4 x 4 area, that will be equal to or greater performance than a SE 1000 HPS.

Del_9_THC

Then you're not prepared to make the jump to LED.

Good performance comes at a price in the LED realm.

If that is so, then you've got that right! I have got hid dialled in, so switching to a newer method would have to be cost effective for me.

I will wait until they get to a price point that works for me. When an effective reasonably price commercial LED hit the market, then I will consider. I do think that LED are the future, but for now, for me, they seem overpriced.

Mogli

you can build led system yourself ..cost much lower then buy full system .. the best led this days its cree cxb 3590 they not cheap but best out there .. you also can get citizen cob that good enough and also cheap ..

Lyfespan

ound some dual switched 1200 watt leds for under 300 bux bought 8 they are doin it pretty well even buds are nice and hard