What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sex influence

motaman82

I'm about to start a breeding project and I had some questions about how to influence a seedling into becoming male. I have read in Richard connell Clarke's book that factors such as humidity,stress,high nitrogen, can influence this but have not spoken to any growers who have grown from seed looking to find a perfect pollen source. Any experience would be helpful.

jedi5891

Ive never heard of influencing a seeds sex to be either male or female. The genetic coding is already locked and sex is predetermined in the seed before germination.
Your best bet is to buy some regular seeds from a reputable breeder using preferably a true breeding strain. This way your starting with strong reliable genetics thats been bred with traits already desirable for breeding with, like pest/mould resistance, bushy strong plants and nice aromas/terpens etc
Your best to read and learn as much as you can about breeding and also to have a clear goal if you have a serious plan to create your own strain. Breeding can be extremely in depth if you go down the lines of back crossing, making F2s, IBLs etc but is very rewarding. Im no expert by any means and have only just started to breed myself. If you go to my Albums an look through my breeding projects file then you'll see some of the gems ive made. All you need is a good male that breeds well and some top quality mothers. Ive used cookies, cheese/skunk, OGs, kushs and Blue dream genetics for the mothers and a Gogi og (snow lotus pheno) and a cheese/skunk male to cross with the above and as all the genes used were strong everything ive grown out has been very very nice, just take a look at the pics. Some of the phenos of the GSC x Gogi og are outstanding and is preference over everything else out there by my patients.
Good luck and do your research, find out what are good parental lines to breed with then find who has the best gentics of these strains in seed.
Peace
Namaste
https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=66451&pictureid=1620435

https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=66451&pictureid=1736720

motaman82

Ive never heard of influencing a seeds sex to be either male or female. The genetic coding is already locked and sex is predetermined in the seed before germination.
Your best bet is to buy some regular seeds from a reputable breeder using preferably a true breeding strain. This way your starting with strong reliable genetics thats been bred with traits already desirable for breeding with, like pest/mould resistance, bushy strong plants and nice aromas/terpens etc
Your best to read and learn as much as you can about breeding......
Good luck and do your research, find out what are good parental lines to breed with then find who has the best gentics of these strains in seed.
Peace
Namaste
Thank you for the advice. Any particular literature you could recommend for learning more?

motaman82

Also I totally misquoted the source of the info about influencing sex. It was marijuana horticulture by Jorge Cervantes

thejact55

Just pop hella seeds, and pheno hunt. If you have enough seeds you dont have to worry about influencing. I just tossed something like 10 males in the trash this morning and kept two. I understand seeds can be expensive, so its not just easy to pop 20-50 seeds of each strain.
Beacause of that, this is what i do. I get a pack or two of a strain, grow and open pollinate. I keep any seeds from plants remotely worthwhile. Now i have 200-1000 seeds i can grow and sift through, per strain, and i can throw as many in the trash as i want. Sure, i might be limiting the phenos, or making a slighly inferior seed, maybe. But if i got 500 seeds at my disposal, im sure i can find what im looking for. Thats the name of my game now, alot of open pollination, build a seed stash, then down the road i can mass pheno hunt, although i am currently selecting some sinai and senegal plants for mothers/fathers, as my open pollination plan is ongoing still after three years, and i cant wait forever lol.

Dj short articles are really good. There is a link in the breeding section, but half of them dont work anymore.

jedi5891

Thank you for the advice. Any particular literature you could recommend for learning more?

Your welcome.
Jorge Cervantes is my go to expert when ever I need advice and one of the growers I most favor and aspire to be at his level. He has a fairly decent section about breeding in his " medical growers bible " thats definitely worth reading.
Sam the skunkman, Chimera, shanti baba, bhodi, DJ short, to name a few a very reputable breeders and any information from
Any of these would be valuable knowledge. I know you'll be able to find some info on the net from these breeders. Do do your researching online.
The best way to go for a hobbiest breeder would be to have a mother plant that has many qualities that you desire but certain traits you want to improve on it in some way.
For instance I have a gogi og x cheese thats beautiful but lacking in the yield with weak side branching and quite stretchy. So I'll use this as my recurrent plant that'll be used to cross back with. I'll cross in a male with a shorter stocker frame that has better lateral growth and stronger stems. The 1st cross will be F1s with 2/3/4 or more phenos, then I'll select the best female an male showing the desired traits and make f2s which will give more phenos but helping to breed out the undesirable genes. Then do a process of back crossing to the mother plant the best genetics from the f2s and even f3s if I go really deep into the project. You can find what you want with just one cross but you wont have a true breeding parental line unless you do a certain amount of in breeding. That way all seeds will carry the same genes with little variation in genetics.
For me there's nothing more satisfying in this field than to grow out and smoke your own creations, and when friends are praising your work then its the cherry on the cake.
Peace
Namste