What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How To Store Seeds for Years...

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sure sounds good just send them over once you have it all sealed up then I will keep them in the fridge and not open or smoke any :biggrin:

Madrus Rose

post 69
Veteran
thanks Madrus but im not gonna be storing flowers often enough to spend a few thousand dollars of a nitrogen vacuum sealer. this will probably be a one time thing. what about without the nitrogen?

The enemy of aging & degredation of herbs is oxygen . And all food /organic substances for that matter . ..unless your trying to cure meat etc . Heat / Temp & moisture are other factors just like with seeds . The ultimate storage facility would be in "space" , lol...very little change happens at 370deg below zero & no atmosphere . Space is a REAL lonely place !

Whether 10oz's or 10ps ....you have to store with as little oxygen as possible or u will get further breakdown . Prolly just injecting some C02 into a sealed bag or container would suffice . After u have fully cured your herb.

But i was trying to tell u when u surround plant/herb material with Nitrogen the decaying process slows down to 10x's the rate compared to when oxy is present . Whether u want to spend the money or not ,ya have to grasp the concept. Have heard of outdoor growers using those Nitrogen seal systems & burying their pot , & finding it #1day fresh picked/trimmed a year later .

* oops , i fugged up ...temperature of space is a terrifying 470deg below zero .
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-temperature-in-space.htm

ooh , thats cold ! Loving little planet Earth alot more thinking about that !
(means we should all go out & hug someone/anyone real quick & give thanks !) ;)

T

TREE KING

The enemy of aging & degredation of herbs is oxygen . And all food /organic substances for that matter . ..unless your trying to cure meat etc . Heat / Temp & moisture are other factors just like with seeds . The ultimate storage facility would be in "space" , lol...very little change happens at 370deg below zero & no atmosphere . Space is a REAL lonely place !

Whether 10oz's or 10ps ....you have to store with as little oxygen as possible or u will get further breakdown . Prolly just injecting some C02 into a sealed bag or container would suffice . After u have fully cured your herb.

But i was trying to tell u when u surround plant/herb material with Nitrogen the decaying process slows down to 10x's the rate compared to when oxy is present . Whether u want to spend the money or not ,ya have to grasp the concept. Have heard of outdoor growers using those Nitrogen seal systems & burying their pot , & finding it #1day fresh picked/trimmed a year later .

* oops , i fugged up ...temperature of space is a terrifying 470deg below zero .
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-temperature-in-space.htm

ooh , thats cold ! Loving little planet Earth alot more thinking about that !
(means we should all go out & hug someone/anyone real quick & give thanks !) ;)

i understand that surrounding the weed in Nitrogen is the best thing but are you saying that putting it in the fridge will do nothing? i cant use Nitrogen so i gotta do the best i can

Snype

Veteran
I've stored pounds of my best organics in air sealed mason jars in the freezer for over 5 years and when I pulled some out to smoke, it was just as amazing as when it went in. Once you pull it out, you don't want to reseal it and put it back in. I like to freeze small amounts like 1/2 ounces - 2 ounces and like some others said, you don't want any oxygen in there. Some growers might argue putting it in the freezer but it is only if you want to keep it for years and you don't have any power outages or pull them out. I've also had seeds air sealed in the freezer for 9 years and I still get 90% germination rates.

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Empire I had to come see your seed collection after your triple post in my thread...wow, nice job, it's comforting to know there is someone like you doing this..thank you. I'm sure your not the only one, I've seen others but yours is quite a collection. Good job on the storage thread as well..save me some..DD

EmpireSeeds

Empire I had to come see your seed collection after your triple post in my thread...wow, nice job, it's comforting to know there is someone like you doing this..thank you. I'm sure your not the only one, I've seen others but yours is quite a collection. Good job on the storage thread as well..save me some..DD

FlowerBlooming.gif
That Means A Lot!! Coming From Such as Valued Member of the Community!!
2ThumbsUp.gif

Over the Last 5 Years, I've Really Enjoyed EVERY Thread of Yours!!
Yoda.gif

(Due to Security Breeches, I'm on About my 4th Member Name
shh.gif
)

(Like Myself) You Take Such Pride In EVERYTHING You Do....
And IT SHOWS!!
SculptingMasterPieceStatue.gif

Still You Manage to Stay as Busy as a Humming Bird!!

Your Photos and Inspiration are Simply Amazing!!
picture.php

LotusMeditation.gif

So NO....THANK YOU Doobie Duck!!

MossGlobewBonsaiTree-1.png
-Dutch
PS- So SORRY About the 3 Posts- Casey Jones + Complex Post = Massive Failure!!
BombWeed.gif

Ranger

was wondering about that myself Korn, i vacuum seal my seeds and bud for long term storage, haven't had any issues with that so far. bag them with rice, vacuum seal, bag them again, vacuum seal again and off they go into 50 degree constant temps and darkness.

budelight

Discovery Requires Experimentation
Veteran
:lurk:

Wondering if I should do this with all my seeds, just seeds that are 3-4+ years old, or just seeds <1 year old.

THANKS for sharing this technique!
BeL
:tiphat:

The Revolution

Veteran
View ImageThat Means A Lot!! Coming From Such as Valued Member of the Community!! View Image
Over the Last 5 Years, I've Really Enjoyed EVERY Thread of Yours!! View Image
(Due to Security Breeches, I'm on About my 4th Member Name View Image)

(Like Myself) You Take Such Pride In EVERYTHING You Do....
And IT SHOWS!!
View Image

Still You Manage to Stay as Busy as a Humming Bird!!
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/userimages/thumbnails/369/f27b4bf8385e7380397ae4978c56d2b7_369327.gif?dl=1272935137]View Image[/URL]

Your Photos and Inspiration are Simply Amazing!!
View Image
View Image
So NO....THANK YOU Doobie Duck!!

View Image -Dutch
PS- So SORRY About the 3 Posts- Casey Jones + Complex Post = Massive Failure!! View Image

DutchGrown?

Cobra420

After reading this thread awhile back, I decided to give it a try. It's worked fairly well so far. I'm able to hold a TON of different varieties in a relatively small area. I have even started to save seeds from the rest of the garden this way. Found the vials and tops online for SUPER cheap. I think it was 150 of each for about 50 bucks or something.

The Dopest

[THC] True Hippie Coonass
Veteran
Anyone germinating seeds that are older than 5 years old and have not been specially stored like this? Unfortunately, when I had to quit growing unexpectedly, I just threw mine in storage and they stayed there for about 7-8 years. I recently pulled them out and tried germing some and have had 0% success. They were not in climate controlled storage, just a regular storage building where temps averaged 30* to 90*F and they were in small ziplocks, inside plastic organizers. Any tips to raise my success any? I tried germing some fresh new bag seeds beside the old good seeds and have only had about 5% success with them so my luck is not good right now with anything. When I physically crack the old seeds open, they look normal, just no luck popping them yet. :wallbash:

TerpeneDream

Thanks for the great thread.

So, how are those 5 year beans poppin' :D

Hope all is well…

What's up w/ these 'heirlooms', if you care to share :)

doams

think if you have seeds from reliable source /not old already at purchase date from unreliable sources etc/ thats the first thing when it comes to germ rates in my /limited/ experience.
I still have to try germinate these 3-4years old seeds stored in those little plastic bags that were inside aluminium jar that was inside another container @room temps one day and will post results maybe later this summer will pop a few just to find out If those really old are still good.

Gry

Neat thread. Would be interesting to be able to speak with Sam on the subject .
I believe he used the seed storage place in Iceland, and he recently released some of his saved stock to a seed company.
My understanding is the first batch they tried did not germinate for them, but a second container stored under similar condition was fine.

EmpireSeeds

Sad Results Folks...

I Just Served 5 years for Cultivation... I Left them in the Refrigerator, Labeled DO NOT DISCARD!!! Early in on my "Bit" my Brother took them Out of Fridge... He said he Had Poor Results...

By the Time I Got my Jar Back... Many Good Verities (I.E. Rez's Sour D's) MIA...
I Popped the Last 400+ .... All Failed, Many Wanted to Grow (Cracked+Tail) But Quickly Rotted :cry:

$5K in Seeds... With the Exception of my Raids... I Had Virtually NO Harvests with Exception of them indoor Sour Bubble, Casey Jones and Strawberry Diesel....

Does Anyone use ICMAG Anymore Since Gypsy's Bust?? I Just Read About that a Week Ago... I've Had my Own Legal Problems...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts