What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

what was your WINNER strain of 2018?

HHILL

I gotta say, the South Park Chem from Topdawg seeds isn’t bad, one pheno finished up first week of October, the second pheno was cut yesterday in the SF Bay Area, 38 degrees N latitude. The early pheno is potent, very resinous, and looks like the second pheno os going to be a tad better. And they say Chemdog can’t be done outdoors....

Smaller yields though, about 35% less than Bodhi seeds or my own

Caramelo a.k.a lavender ² .

Had a few seeds that didnt pop so i popped a bunch more just to be sure .
Just put it outside for the fun of it , in the shadow of my herijuana , in a supersmall 1.5litre pot . Expecting i'd have to transplant her in the future , she started flowering just before i wanted to transplant her , so i just let her sit in the small pot.
Yielded maybe 15grams , but the quality of the smoke is VERY pleasant .
High is perfect , not too weak not too strong , flavor and smell are weird and sugary ,
flavor brings me back to my youth immediatly

I grew a few hades og from Dhn outdoor this year. They were ok for OG. Lots of medium sized, hard buds but wasn’t ready to chop until November 5...

Lady Guru how’d you like the Hades OG and Pineapple Upside Down Cake?

I got all my clones from dark heart nursery this year. 4G, Strawberry Banana, Blue Dream, Chem4, BlackBerry Fire, and chocolate hash berry. Also ran some God’s gift which is looking and smelling the best so far. I think next year I might run only OG’s. I’m interested in the Hades and also the blood diamond OG from wonderland nursery.

I grew a few hades og from Dhn outdoor this year. They were ok for OG. Lots of medium sized, hard buds but wasn’t ready to chop until November 5...

That’s sad to hear I wanted to run the Hades OG next year. I live about 35 mins from my property and some meth head came an chopped down 7 of my strawberry bananas and also took my chem4s which were ready to take home. My area is cool for the most part but these mf’s come at the beginning of November when they think everyone’s gone for the year. They dumped an old dryer on my spot and they came back two times. I took the copper out and flipped it upside down so they’d think it was still in there. Next year I’ll be there the whole time. I saw them coming back one day and they rolled up and I pulled up on them and they half smiled then turned around and kept going. Everyone knows who they are I’m surprised someone hasn’t happened to them yet. Karmas a bitch..

G

GatorGumbo

That’s sad to hear I wanted to run the Hades OG next year. I live about 35 mins from my property and some meth head came an chopped down 7 of my strawberry bananas and also took my chem4s which were ready to take home. My area is cool for the most part but these mf’s come at the beginning of November when they think everyone’s gone for the year. They dumped an old dryer on my spot and they came back two times. I took the copper out and flipped it upside down so they’d think it was still in there. Next year I’ll be there the whole time. I saw them coming back one day and they rolled up and I pulled up on them and they half smiled then turned around and kept going. Everyone knows who they are I’m surprised someone hasn’t happened to them yet. Karmas a bitch..

Maybe hook up a motion activated trail camera or two. Karma sometimes needs some help.

I actually didn't find anything that really blew my socks off this year. Every two years or so I'll get a bag of something that really stands out, but it's just been a bunch of watered down warehouse weed. I have some Fruitbowl from Karma that smells and looks pretty mega, should be smoking it by mid January.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I'd be knockin their teeth out with a brick and collecting 7k from them. People get shot over a dime bag up here in friendly Canada.

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ive been in a constant SanD storm. So far the flavor that really impressed me is the flavor of SanD .... SFV x ChemD ......S and D yummmmmmmmmm!!!!

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
If you are looking for a winner from DHN, Grab Dos a do. I think thats what they list it is.
but i think its Do si Do.
I ran it indoors and in a greenhouse before doing a full term outside.
The indoor and greenhouse buds grew really dense golf ball sized buds, with some purpling.
The outdoor is a different story, It produced arm sized buds that were rock hard.
Had some spotty rot here and there because it was so dense!
Outdoors also came out with a purple hue to it

Mengsk

The jury is still out for me. I honestly was lucky enough to pick such a wide variety I'm not sure I can say one winner. The plants were all different sizes when I got them, not like a clone run-off indoors at all. So all of my normal variables are out the window like size yield maturation time etc. Hard to compare a clone to a seed plant of different varieties planted at different times. One tray or row of each would be a better comparison. But I get different data even if n=1 or whatever.

In no particular order:
All seed plants at the nursery were remarkably uniform. With their help, some unique selections were made namely short stature or newer vs rootbound. This doesn't mean my choices were good or better - a 3-5 ft. plant might be a better choice in July than a 14" plant for size and yield. These all have yet to be harvested and tested.

Chocolate Orange - from Mothers Genetics. This phenotype was short compared to others and classic look "indica" to my untrained eye. Very sturdy and thick stems which have strong aroma of mint and/or menthol early in veg. I noticed that the name kush is used in quite a few strains. I wouldn't overlook this one. What looks like a slow growth pattern is really very tight internode spacing. If you are looking for something medicinal that won't stretch much or does well as budsicles/lollipops sog under lights this is it. While this one plant is small compared to others the yield per area, bud %, resin % all look good. It is turning dark on the tops of the leaves. I believe this weather will bring out the fall colors in most if not all plants here.

Pineapple Train Wreck - from Humboldt Seed Company. A purple stem phenotype with close node spacing and lots of secondary and tertiary branching on another level almost. This is not trainwreck by itself, it has some indica influence, but the tw is pretty strong I think. And something happened to this plant I think when it was stressed from drying out in a 5 gallon fabric pot while rootbound under lights on a ~15-17 hour light schedule inside. It started to stretch possibly, then the lights went back to an 18-24 hour schedule. My point of view is that of an inexperienced grower and consumer. The buds look and smell like tw which is unmistakable, more fluffy and leafy than kush e.g. but it's going to be a super high yielder and sativa leaning I think. Since these two were listed to finish earlier I placed them at the cooler end of the greenhouse with less sun. So not really full potential of potency I would guess, although I'm not complaining one more plant in the shade and it will make some nice hash and stuff. No part or say in this company vs the organization 2c however if you have a look at the youtube video and say oh no that's a different n. ca train wreck and mango kush being grown in the mountains not the real one well what's the actual difference.

Mango Sherbert - HSC. Placed at the warm end of the greenhouse for longer flowering time and at the end/corner since it's pretty big compared to others. Looks frosty and has a nice bud to leaf ratio. I haven't been visiting dispensaries much in the past years but all of these plants look potent and smell awesome with this one being no exception. Nice sized buds they don't look like indoor cookies at a glance but should be a high yield of frosty nugs from one plant. I broke the root ball way too much when transplanting from the 2 gallon bag, to the plant's detriment. Long time in veg and it really caught up though. For thorough notes and brevity this plant came from a bunch that appeared nearly identical. I spent some time selecting uniform branch structure, might be a little subjective and I wouldn't put much weight on any plant being different than another in terms of quality etc. Not to mention they have actually tested several thousand now with Phylos I think. So next year's clones are probably going to take it up a notch.

Amethyst - HSC. Admittedly a favorite going in (bias much) this one is described as connoisseur quality or very purple. It is starting to get some purple coloration and to me it smells like blueberries among other things. Early it had a unique fruity or exotic smell compared to the common weed/resin smell if that sounds familiar. With my limited knowledge I'm only guessing but for some or at least one of the plants I wanted to throw yield out the window and pick the best personal smoke. To whatever extent that may have been available. This plant had an issue with some septoria or something after I topped/pruned it numerous times. The foliage and meristem or shoot count were way up there, as was the relative humidity with almost constant foliar feeding. All of that stress on the plant could be much better managed and transitioned outdoors possibly with a sooner plant out date in the future.

Don Carlos - HSC. This variety may likely have been nearly sold out. What I mean is I was able to get my hands on a small seed plant, which would be way behind in timing and/or size compared to an ideal full season plant. Like starting seeds in May instead of January for example. It almost seems like placing some of these plants out before vegging and/or cloning them is what I don't know, an unfair disadvantage, something like that. In terms of me trying to compare these plants. The flowers appear potent and the buds are a little continuous or stretch/spindly instead of rock or golf ball shape. Which I mean in a good way as in different from usual. With another 6-8 weeks of veg time the structure and profile may become more apparent. Even my little tent was crowded meaning growth rate can be improved.

ok winners, else I might write them all haha

Last edited:
For the second year in a row, it's an older variety of Nepalese Jamaican.

This stuff stinks to high heaven... like cat piss, skunks and ketchup?!? Chocolate?

Either way, it grew well, yielded well and this year I got the dry and cure down proper.
Great smell... and I didn't trim the sugar leaves so every bud you break apart for the grinder leaves your fingers sticky and smelly.

Even joints rolled with the sugar leaves broken into the grinder are smooth and tasty.
Great high.

The Triple Cheese I grew was good, but the high doesn't last very long -maybe an hour and a half or so.
The body effects last longer though, and for joint pain relief it helps for a few hours.

I've crossed the NJ with the 3Ch and we'll grow a half dozen of those next season.

Definitely going to keep the NJ train rolling along... It's SO good.
Triple Cheese:

Nepalese Jamaican:

Last edited:

luciano28

"grapefruit durban". One phenotype produced giant 9 foot tall plants with little attention given to it until it was flowering. Also: it didn't mold

sativa92

Lemon Garlic Diesel= ( made by mag member)not a speck of mold, great taste, and great buzz, with huge plants.

White diesel= huge 12 ft plants, berry diesel smell,
It definitely needs support. Great all around plant. With great buzz and taste.

Honorable mention= gluberry OG Dutch passion
Great strain, great taste, and a knockdown buzz.
It is prone to mold in high humidity areas.

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Ive been in a constant SanD storm. So far the flavor that really impressed me is the flavor of SanD .... SFV x ChemD ......S and D yummmmmmmmmm!!!!

Wow I grew the OG Kush(sfv) x Chem that Kryptonite Seeds used to have 10-12 yrs ago and it was absolutely killer......Who's the breeder of this variety?? I'd love to pick up some, I had a few old seeds left and tried to germ them. But they must've been to old to pop. That's a great cross I'm sure your enjoying!!!!:tiphat:

HorseMouth

Hazey TrainWreck (Haze x Trainwreck) (early outdoor harvest)
Time Wreck (Trainwreck x vortex) (middle summer)
GSC (Forum cut, 77 days) (late summer)

All light Dep. All proven

Peace

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
The hardest thing about growing over 50 degree's north, is seeing people further south growing my indoor strains outdoor.

I liked the serious6. It looked OK indoor, but it's neighbours produced 25% more bud, that was twice as good. It's neighbours fail outdoors though, where the Serious6 is happiest. Doing well by UK standards.