What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Your opinion on hermie seeds

About a year ago, I had got a bag of GSC from a buddy who brought it down from MI. This bag was seeded like a mf but I kept some beans anyway and decided to pop a few.

Now here's where things get strange. I figured they were from a hermie in the first place but I popped 5 seeds and 4 survived. 2 were male (which I didnt think a hermie would produce) and 2 were supposed female but around the 5th or 6th week one hermied somewhere along the way. This plant was locked tight in the middle of the jungle so I never could get to it to fully inspect to see how bad the issue really was. I did find lots of pollen on top of it's pot around that time though.

So anyway, this hermie pollinated my entire room. Now I've got seeds of GSC crossed with ChemD, WifiOG, SSSDH, White Jones, and Sour Cheese.

Do you think that I can find a powerhouse keeper in these seeds? Or are they technically garbage because of the way they were bred?

I've flowered out 3 of the GSCxWifiOG so far, with only 1 of the 3 even being slightly hermied. I picked the balls off around week 4 but they never came back after. The hermie pheno was the stinkiest, smelled and looked just like the wifi with maybe thicker nugs. I decided to not clone it though because of the balls that showed up.

The other 2 were more cookie like in structure but definitely a nice mix of OG in there. They smell ridiculous. I'm not good with the nose of strains, I never can decide what they smell like. But neither really smell like the OG or the GSC. One pheno did turn a pretty light purple while the other 2 stayed mostly bright green.

I'm pretty happy with the way they turned out so far and I've got at least 150 more seeds of just the GSCxWifiOG. Am I wasting my time by pheno hunting these?

What are some of your experiences with hermie seeds?

:tiphat:

Last edited:

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
There is only one way to find out, grow them and see.

If you got males, most likely someone did not pull a male or had pollen contamination issues.

TerpeneDream

IMO, I think we need to get away from this inbred, bottlenecked, widdled down gene pool...

One (or a couple) Mono-cropped 'keeper' flavors seems boring...

Forward Filial Crossing.

Let's get back to the old ways, which the famous and fabled landraces where bred...

Let the plants re-aclimate to nature, the best grower....

It's about,

Terroir.

If you got males, most likely someone did not pull a male or had pollen contamination issues.

I was thinking the same that maybe it wasn't from a batch of hermie seeds in the first place. Can a natural male & female breeding still produce hermies? Even if the breeding wasn't the result of a herm issue..

Idk but either way I'm pretty happy with the 2 phenos that didn't throw any balls. They are drying now, so we'll see how the smoke is in a couple of weeks.

810FireFarm

a lot of elite strains "came from a single seed found in an oz./lb. "

i keep a grow tent just for experiment seeds like this...i have found some gems

igrowone

Veteran
it is possible to have seen males from a self pollination
i have seen it myself and others have posted the same
my experience has been 1 male out of a dozen grows or so
and have had good luck with a few hermie pollen crosses, they've been straight femmes(so far)

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Seem your luck is good with the three plants you grew. May as well see how your luck pans out with some of the others.

You never know what you may find. It could be the next big thing to hit the market if you let it out.

Thanks fellas. I just rolled up a quick dried tester so we'll see how she hits.. It'll be about 2 weeks before the rest is dry, when it is I'll post up some pictures

810FireFarm

if you check out my IG the headband pics(some of first/early ones) in there are from a hermie seed of the prior harvest...it turned out to be the best of the last harvest batch

so gems can be found in hermie seeds

Here is one of the 3 phenos.. Keep in mind these were taken with my phone so they aren't great quality

picture.php

picture.php

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Some of the plants I've ever seen came from top top top shelf bags of weed with 1 or 2 diamond seeds in there,,take the chems for example,,,

lifehack

beautiful plants.. keep them and grow for personal.. :) hell id take some beans to jack if i were you :) id grow any of those crosses for fun

Arf

The occasional hermie flower can be quite handy for the small grower. I have had them on several strains, usually during the first week or two of stretch in 12/12. They are typically on the main stem and easy to spot if you are looking for first signs of sex anyway. Most of the time they don't drop any pollen, and just fall off, but every now and then I get one that works and make myself a small bunch of female seeds on a lower bud. If I get more than a couple of obvious male flowers during early stretch, I just pick them off and don't bother to make seeds, don't want to over do it.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The occasional hermie flower can be quite handy for the small grower. I have had them on several strains, usually during the first week or two of stretch in 12/12. They are typically on the main stem and easy to spot if you are looking for first signs of sex anyway. Most of the time they don't drop any pollen, and just fall off, but every now and then I get one that works and make myself a small bunch of female seeds on a lower bud. If I get more than a couple of obvious male flowers during early stretch, I just pick them off and don't bother to make seeds, don't want to over do it.

How are the results of the offspring of seeds you make this way?

Imo, you're usung the wrong end of the flowering cycle to gather dust from & you are perpetuating the herm traits tendency to be brought out in future generations.

Balls on female plants are what I consider genetically encoded hermaphrodites & imo, should never be used to move your genetics projects forward.

But... I'm just a pollen chucker, chuckin pollen.
I am curious about your reslts?

Morphote

Veteran
Herm City

Herm City

Many people know that my Ortega F1 experience was as close to a total nightmare as possible. Intersex plants all over the place. What most people don't know is that the F2 seed lot from that grow produced plants that did not show intersex traits. Important to note that F1 and F2 generations were both grown in the exact same environment. Besides that, I have also seen S1s that were equal to or better than the plant they were pulled from, showing no intersex traits. Would love an explanation for any of this.

M.

igrowone

Veteran
Many people know that my Ortega F1 experience was as close to a total nightmare as possible. Intersex plants all over the place. What most people don't know is that the F2 seed lot from that grow produced plants that did not show intersex traits. Important to note that F1 and F2 generations were both grown in the exact same environment. Besides that, I have also seen S1s that were equal to or better than the plant they were pulled from, showing no intersex traits. Would love an explanation for any of this.

M.

different F1(brainwreck), but same experience
the S1's turned out to have a 50/50 chance of being clean females
the explanation exceeds our knowledge from what i've read
intersex a dominant trait? no way, more complicated than that