What's new

monoterpenes and live resin

tech1234

Hey guys do you find that the extra monoterpenes in a live resin run result in a less hard/stable shatter?

what about after winterization?

My understanding was that live resin blasts have a higher monoterpene content but winterization significantly lowers that.

I having trouble getting an equally hard/stable shatter from my live resin runs... any ideas?

Chimera

Genetic Resource Management
Veteran
Yep, many monoterps act as solvents to cannabinoids. Shatter is shatter-like in consistency because most of the monoterps have been purged in the butane purge.

When you winterize, you dissolve everything in the shatter in ethanol. To remove the ethanol, you have to boil it off, which starts to happen at ~78 degrees Celsius. The problem is that the monoterps become volatile in the 25-40 degree Celsius range, so by the time the ethanol begins to volatilize a good portion of the monoterps are already gone, leaving you a harder shatter with less flavour due to the reduced monoterps... essentially sesquiterps and cannabs, which in terms of flavour is sorely lacking IMO. You see if you take shatter and add terpenes back into it, the shatter goes from hard and brittle to soft and puddle-y, if enough monoterps are added.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey guys do you find that the extra monoterpenes in a live resin run result in a less hard/stable shatter?

what about after winterization?

My understanding was that live resin blasts have a higher monoterpene content but winterization significantly lowers that.

I having trouble getting an equally hard/stable shatter from my live resin runs... any ideas?

Yes, the C-10 monoterpenes act like a solvent for the C-21 cannabinoids, and make them soupier.

You are correct that winterizing with EtOH reduces their concentration, and makes it more stable.

Marketing aside, if it has aroma, taste, and effect, a purdy face is just an added plus, which I consider secondary to the first three.

Latest posts

Latest posts