What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Who has legit durban poison?

dutch passion durban poison is absolute garbage

it's actually a durban clone x skunk #1 mix...sometimes you get a really durban leaning pheno but most of them are total junk

durban is a fucking 11 week minimum strain, 14 weeks primo...on dutch passion's website they say their dp is 7 weeks??????? LOL DURBAN POISON IN 7 WEEKS...It's a freaging sout african landrace sativa...no 7 weeks at all

there is no seed version...afropips had a good version but they stopped..no one left...somebody might make some but there isn't much money is these unique strains that take 14 weeks to make seeds

avoid dutch passion....

purple_man

Veteran
oddly enough, i had some seeds brought over from ethiopia (was a mix of different bought weed in shashemane), there were 2 females that turned partially purple (the calyxes), and finisihed in roughly 45-50 days, thin leaved and strange to say the least -> it made me think this might have been some durban sold in ethiopia and if you check the latitudes in south africa, there are smilar "seasons" to european weather in some -> durban worked in europe (just a hypothesis)...

blessss
ps.: what a shame afropips and african seeds went defunct :/

paper thorn

Veteran
You take the urban noise with some Durban Poison
It's gonna lessen your load

^^^From 30 Days In The Hole by Humble Pie from back in 1972.

Kick ass song youtube it.

Guess they been calling it DP for a while.

Biosynthesis

Veteran
Got a clone last spring labeled Durban Poison. bushy 7 foot tall plant with lots of buds that turn purple in the fall. An anise-like smell with a sweet grape background taste. The buds are not tight but not whispy either. secondary branches can get noodley and lay down when they fill in with buds. Completely mold resistant. The bigger branches were harvested the second week of October. The smaller buds were taken at the end of October and were completely purple and considerably stonier. Really good smoke. I imagined how stony it would be grown at the equator. The calyxes didnt get to fill out and swell due to winter setting in. Out of 5 different strains this one was the last to come in and was most toxic. The plant only had a pound on it and took twice as long to trim as conventional strains on the market. It had an uncomfortability to the stone if you werent used to it. I gave samples of all my outdoor strains to a few locals, and the Durban Poison got the best reviews. like I said, grown at or near the equator I think this strain would be phenomenal. Wish I had pics for ya........

bamboozle

ICMag Donor
durban is a fucking 11 week minimum strain, 14 weeks primo...on dutch passion's website they say their dp is 7 weeks??????? LOL DURBAN POISON IN 7 WEEKS...It's a freaging sout african landrace sativa...no 7 weeks at all

Most of the Durban Poison cuts going around Cali are 8 week finishers. This is a picture of one of my Durban phenos at Week 7.

Still has a few more weeks to go. Although the logic of it being South African doesn't lend it self to it being a long finisher. South Africa is at the Southern most tip of South Africa, the longest days in Durban are 14 hours and 4 minutes, making the longest days in the Central Coast of California even longer than that of South Africa, granted not by much, but still, it puts the geographic location into perspective. I suspect that many of the cuts going around California are diluted with an Indica cross at some point. Both the phenos of Durban that we have true Sativa's that go longer than 8 weeks.

Peace,
Bamboo

Attachments

• durb.jpg
    durb.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 23

growhi

i think durban is best when grown under intense sunlight ........................ never the same under lights !!!

dp durban !!

J

Junkhead

Thanks a ton for posting those catalogs. Its great to see them after wanting to for so long. Lots of cool old strains.

#3 The creeper. Were the heck did this strain come from? is it sativa indica? I would guess sativa from the growth pattern but it says it comes in early... Anyway sounds fun, wish I could have had a go at it.

OldSSSCGuy

I have absolutely no idea on the Creeper. My notes don't show I ever got any of that strain for re-shipment, although I did get (and still have) some "M-12 Skunk #1-Creeper Hybrid". I remember very few of that one being sold. SnowHigh Seeds has a sample of the M-12 for testing.

To me "creeper" was a hybrid phenotype rather than a unique strain, so it could have been anything. First heard of it in RCC's "Marijuana Botany" book. I got the same creeper pheno from the M-29 Afghani-Malawi hybrid and one other strain but I can't remember which one. I definitely remember one AM plant which showed it because I called it "lettuce head" and saved a few hundred seeds from it. It grew naturally like a small thick bush with a gadzillion tiny buds, a ton of unnatural-looking branching.

To be honest I really think that "in the trade" the reference to creeper turned more into a description of a creeper high (one that builds in intensity or 'creeps up on you') rather than a specific pheno or strain. Whether that applies to the M-5 Creeper I honestly don't know...

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

bamboozle

ICMag Donor
Thanks a ton for posting those catalogs. Its great to see them after wanting to for so long. Lots of cool old strains.

#3 The creeper. Were the heck did this strain come from? is it sativa indica? I would guess sativa from the growth pattern but it says it comes in early... Anyway sounds fun, wish I could have had a go at it.

The Creeper aka The Creeper Kush, is an old Santa Cruz strain from the 70's. It is an early finishing hybrid, similar in makeup to the Big Sur Holy Weed. I know the guy that bred this strain, he is still growing in these mountains, and gifted us with seeds this year. His record keeping is fucking meticulous, and he has many different selections, along with pictures and notes that date back to the 70's. Cool cat. And before anyone jumps down my throat calling bullshit, RCC and the breeder are good friends. So if this strain is the same that is mentioned by RCC in his book, then we are definitely talking about the same strain. Based on discussions with him, it is "The Purple Mexican" landrace that was going around the Coast in the 70's, crossed with one of the first Afghani's to land on the Californian coast, brought in by the hash smugglers. He bred for an uplifting clear, sativa dominant high, with early finishing characteristics, and mold resistance. Amazing day time smoke, great for working in the woods. It makes for some great bubble hash, and the name "Creeper" is truly fitting. I believe he spells with a K though. There have been shots of it in the High Times Medical magazine.

Peace,
Bamboo

OldSSSCGuy

Very cool to hear bamboozle... Did it grow like a small, dense bush? Maybe 4 times the branching, but always small? I mean did he call it Creeper Kush because of the pheno or the high it gave?

Sorry if I missed something...

bamboozle

ICMag Donor
Very cool to hear bamboozle... Did it grow like a small, dense bush? Maybe 4 times the branching, but always small? I mean did he call it Creeper Kush because of the pheno or the high it gave?

Sorry if I missed something...

Hi OldSSSCGuy,
First off, thanks for posting those catalogs, truly a great piece of history. As far as I know its because of the high. I have yet to try the flower, so I don't know what they look like. He's a purist, only smokes the bubble. When he gave me the beans he pulled out a phat ball of bubble hash for us to burn on, and he warned me that it would "creep up on me." My breeding partner cracked some seeds last week, so we will be taking pictures of it as we go along. I have yet to see the plant in its full glory, but I'll start a new thread here about it as soon as I have some decent photos. He's a little bit of a local legend, as is the strain, so I'm really excited to get into them.

Peace,
Bamboo

OldSSSCGuy

Understood.

These pics are NOT of "Creeper" (its actually Sweet Tooth) but are a close example of what I remember my Affi-Malawi creeper pheno looked like. Dense, short, filled with bud sites. It looked abnormal compared to the rest of the (many) runs.

dwarf-2.jpg dwarf-3.jpg

growhi

found some interesting new seed lines , after reading this thread !!

iv ordered durban zamal and malawi !!

could be bunk seeds but there only cheap to worth a chance

never know could be the real deal

yoss33

Veteran
I've had luck with Nirvana's Durban Poison (Durban x Skunk) outdoors. It is perhaps the roughest-trip weed I've tried. I harvested most of the plant at the end of September and it was very speedy and trippy, especially the lower undeveloped buds. Left a few branches and harvested them 2 weeks later in the beginning of October and the effect was much more rounded and calm, not distinctive and impressing like the early harvest. I imagine how some people leave it to mature well and then get disappointed not getting the hard trip that can scare you.
Now, Nirvana (Sativa Seedbank) sell Urban Poison - (Durban x NL) x Durban, which sounds even more interesting.
I'm growing Ace's Zamaldelica this year hoping to get something like the trippy Durban high.

Here are a few photos of the Durban Poison:

O

orfeas

Do you remember having checked the trichomes?
It'd be interesting to know...

yoss33

Veteran
I don't check the trichomes with magnifying glass, I rely more on the smell. But let's say the end-of-Sept harvest was with 30% clear, 70% cloudy trichomes in the top buds to 80% clear, 20% cloudy in the lower buds. The lower buds and the samples I tried during the whole of September (100% clear) were the real rollercoaster high.
Maybe that's my body chemistry but I always prefer the earlier-picked hybrids. Only with 100% sativa I also like later harvests.

purple_man

Veteran
great info fambz! :)

to be honest, im not sure about dutch passions version... back in the days (end of 90s) a bro used to grow lots of durban, sensi and dp, the strange thing to me was: dutch passions version had the broad leaves and rounded buds, like on the pix above from yoss, it did taste different guess thats the anise/liqurice flava BUT the effect was always red eyed couchlock for me (we speak about 100s of plants grown over the years from seeds...), never found a single uppedy plant in it... sensi seeds used to be a whole different story, their version produced mostly thin leaved plants and spear shaped buds, with a similar flavor, more spicy/minty, and 90% + phenos were uppedy, rather short lived high (1h approx.), but after 2k2 or so, the sensi versions changed... became wispy, hempy, hay tasting, phenos most of the times, and germination probs occured ...

so my conclusion after many years is: there is NO commercially availible durban from the dutch banks, SADLY :/

wich afropips and african seeds were still up and running (herbaria too, their bushmans was NICE)...

by the way, anyone grown the tribal or delicatessen seeds version??? seems those guys are some of the last folks having durban genetics (in this case bushman selection from herbaria...)

blessss