What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Help me choose a rosin press?

Hey guys. I'm looking to get into the rosin world. Always seem to have kief and trim laying around in between harvests, so thought about icing the trim, and pressing both the dry sift and the bubble hash into rosin. I'm looking for ease of use and minimal assembly. Currently looking at the

Pure Pressure Helix 3-Ton
https://gopurepressure.com/collections/rosin-presses/products/helix-manual-rosin-press

and the Sasquatch Half Sqaush with Hand Pump.
https://sasquashrosinpress.com/collections/presses/products/half-squash-with-hand-pump

Anyone have experience with these units? Suggestions? Just looking for something with accuracy in terms of pressure and temperature so that I can replicate my methods precisely batch after batch. The plate size isn't as important, and I don't mind pumping by hand I suppose so long as it doesn't effect pressure or the color/quality of the rosin.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
WOW!!! Obviously, from those prices, you have never heard of DabPess. Those insane prices for rosin presses are over. There are plenty of good quality units at fair prices, now. From a number of dependable manufacturers.

I own 2 units from DabPress and I am totally happy with both.

A lot depends on your needs. How much do you expect to press? Just for yourself and friends?

I have the tiny 3 ton DabPess All-in-one and I totally love it. Heats up super fast. I press 2 gram pucks but I have pressed up to 7 grams in this press with ease.

I also have their largest caged units and I used those on occasion if I am pressing ounces for meds or something but I love the little all-in one.

All these are under $500, usually with free shipping most places in the world and are 2 days away with Amazon Prime.

Look them up at dabpress.com and see what you think. I would be happy to answer any questions if I know how.

And, for those of you wondering.... yes, my Mom owns the company. LMAO (not really. Just a satisfied customer. AKA fanboy).

I own the one in the pic and totally love it. $399

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 33
How would I keep track of my psi with these units? I'm making the rosin for my patients, as I'm a medical grower. I've got many patients and they're all frequent users. It's not commercial-level production or anything, so the size isn't all that important, but the quality of the rosin and being able to easily replicate a system (certain temps, pressure, length of press, etc) would be very important to my workflow.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
You don't need to keep track of PSI. You will quickly work through the learning curve of pressing. It's not rocket science.

I have found my technique and use, pretty much the same method every time. I still experiment often but my basic pressing technique is the same each time.

Temps between 180F or so and all the way up to about 220F depending on your preference of waxy or shattery.

If you do want a gauge and larger plates and more tonnage, DabPress has some higher end units that have gauges. I wanted one at first but as I realized it didn't really do anything, the novelty wore off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHjy_RtmOC8

Starting around the 8 minute mark, the guy decides to increase his psi a bit halfway through a press, and the material comes out extremely dark compared to the first half of the press with the same temps. Being able to keep track of temps and psi only makes sense for being able to replicate results.

I'm a bit confused about the language of the devices. Under the "hydraulic rosin press" section on DabPress, there are hand-pump style presses as well as presses that appear to need an air compressor. I thought 'hydraulic' would've referred to the air compressor style presses, with something like 'manual' being the term for hand-pump style presses.

And the options are a bit confusing as well. For example,

6-ton press with 3x5 plates = 470$
3-ton press with 3x3 plates = 450$ (on sale, usually 550)

https://www.dabpress.com/products/dp-bj6t35-hydraulic-rosin-press-kit
https://www.dabpress.com/collection...-ton-hydraulic-jack-rosin-press-dp-bj3t33-pro

Why would a unit with double the pressure and noticeably larger plates only cost 20 bucks more? And it's hard to interpret personality through text, I ask these questions in good spirit, curious and neutral, just wanting to learn about the device and the process so that I don't regret getting which ever one I get. I'm a complete beginner with this topic.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
Their dialog on the web site is a little confusing. Chinese to English translation, I figure.

The silver one you linked to is the one I have.

The black one is an older model. They come out with newer and better models as they learn more about what people want and what works. And, the pricing often reflects that. So, even though the black one has more pressure, it's an older model so the pricing reflects that. Even their newer caged units have additional insulators to stop heat transmission to the press.

3 ton or 6 ton is a toss up. I have a 12 ton and I never ever use that much pressure. I seldom cranked down on the 8 ton I had. On the 3 ton, I take it all the way.

If I take the same 2 loads and press one with my 3 ton and one with 12 tons, the difference is evident that more pressure is not always better. I get plant matter that I don't get at 3 ton. With dry sift or if I am using a filter, 8 tons or more always ruptures the filter bag. I am a fan of less pressure, more technique.

All this goes with the fact that I generally press 2 gram loads. Sometimes more just to test yields of different strains at different temperatures but usually 2 gram loads. It presses up to 7 grams just fine.

Another factor is how much space you have. And, how much money you have. If you have the room and the cash there is a thread at FC about this one...

https://www.dabpress.com/collection...-rosin-heat-press-machine-strongway-hand-pump

People really seem to love this setup. For me, it's more than I want. Still, the separate pump, the gauge, the 10 ton option.... all that, makes it a sweet choice for the 'advanced hobbyist'. I think they have a package with that press and a pump with or without a gauge and the necessary connections.

Something else. Once you decide, if you go with DabPress before you pull the trigger, let me check if they have a 'package' on the model you want. Sometimes, they give away a pre-press or a dab kit or some filter bags. Sometimes I can dig up a discount code. They do that often. Up to 15% sometimes.

Good luck. I know it's hard to choose. Hope I was some help. Feel free to ask away.

MedGrowerTom

Organic Dank Land
Veteran
I built my own...its not that hard, order some metal, paid for some machine work, built the dual pid setup for the plates, and as a bonus can run my dab rig of the same box. I use mine with a 20 ton press.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
Yep, I love DIY. I built my own first 3 or 4 presses. Including my famous Rock and Roll Rosin Press...

watts

ohms
Veteran
If you don't want to DIY, the Dab press dp-hr10t35v looks good to me. On amazon for $499. Pair it with the 10-ton Strongway Hydraulic Pump with Gauge and Hose. However, that particular pump seems to be sold out everywhere at the moment though.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
The setup Watts suggested is what a ton of people over at FC are using. I actually don't care for the separate pump but most people love it.

I built my own...its not that hard, order some metal, paid for some machine work, built the dual pid setup for the plates, and as a bonus can run my dab rig of the same box. I use mine with a 20 ton press.

Beautiful work man. That seems doable but more work than I care to do atm. I'm the tinkerer type, but with how busy I've been lately between harvests and the rest of life, I'm just looking for something that works without much setup.

If you don't want to DIY, the Dab press dp-hr10t35v looks good to me. On amazon for $499. Pair it with the 10-ton Strongway Hydraulic Pump with Gauge and Hose. However, that particular pump seems to be sold out everywhere at the moment though.

Yeah I can't seem to find that pump anywhere. Any other suggestions? I'm not even sure what exactly I'm looking for in terms of the type of pump, fittings, etc.

3 ton or 6 ton is a toss up. I have a 12 ton and I never ever use that much pressure. I seldom cranked down on the 8 ton I had. On the 3 ton, I take it all the way.

If I take the same 2 loads and press one with my 3 ton and one with 12 tons, the difference is evident that more pressure is not always better. I get plant matter that I don't get at 3 ton. With dry sift or if I am using a filter, 8 tons or more always ruptures the filter bag. I am a fan of less pressure, more technique.

All this goes with the fact that I generally press 2 gram loads. Sometimes more just to test yields of different strains at different temperatures but usually 2 gram loads. It presses up to 7 grams just fine.

I'd like the freedom to explore pressing various amounts of material. I mostly think this will be a hash press, so perhaps working with anywhere from just a couple of grams of hash upwards to dozens at a time seems like the 'core audience' of my use. Of course, I can also see myself tinkering with an eighth of this strain, that strain, to see yields, colors, smells, etc., as we do in this hobby of ours, constantly explore. I wouldn't want to be limited to 1-5g at a time. Perhaps 15-20g at a time sounds nice.

Another factor is how much space you have. And, how much money you have.

I have a decent enough amount of room, perhaps enough for a PC or something like this, a nice desk workstation. Money isn't terribly strained, but as with everything else, the less money spent, the better.

If you have the room and the cash there is a thread at FC about this one...

https://www.dabpress.com/collection...-rosin-heat-press-machine-strongway-hand-pump

People really seem to love this setup. For me, it's more than I want. Still, the separate pump, the gauge, the 10 ton option.... all that, makes it a sweet choice for the 'advanced hobbyist'. I think they have a package with that press and a pump with or without a gauge and the necessary connections.

So if I were to get the press you linked above, and pair it with this pump

https://www.amazon.com/Porta-Replacement-Hydraulic-000lbs-Machine/dp/B019U6O5DC

and the recommended pressure gauge kit

https://www.dabpress.com/products/d...pressure-gauge-0-10000-psi-a-pressure-adapter

would this be all I need? Would I need hoses, extra attachments, etc? And if so, could anyone recommend a video tutorial on how to assemble these pieces, or are the ones on the dabpress site good enough?

Something else. Once you decide, if you go with DabPress before you pull the trigger, let me check if they have a 'package' on the model you want. Sometimes, they give away a pre-press or a dab kit or some filter bags. Sometimes I can dig up a discount code. They do that often. Up to 15% sometimes.

Good luck. I know it's hard to choose. Hope I was some help. Feel free to ask away.

Will do. You've been very helpful.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
I am not sure what's involved in matching up the pump and the press. They do have some adapters that are supposed to help. I just asked the USA rep for DabPress to stop in and answer your question. If he is not a member here, he will tell me and I will post it.

I'll also check to see if they are offering some kind of package with that model.

watts

ohms
Veteran
I believe the Strongway pump has everything you need. Too bad it's sold out. Seems to get better reviews than Porta. You just hook it up to the back of the cylinder on the press. The other option should work too, the gauge kit and porta pump, should be all you need.

That unit looks nice and compact, but I don't see a pressure guage. I've also decided that I think I want to a unit with 10 tons of pressure. Only has a single PID controller too, and although I'm not experienced enough to say if that makes a difference, I think having the double PID would help with consistency between runs.

I found this guy on alibaba, but I cannot find any videos of it in action. What do you guys think?

https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...9uIwue9PZAkWj-8YZQhoC8NIQAvD_BwE#shopping-ads

Cabinet Ninja

Veteran
I own and use the Dab Press bj6t35 and i cant see myself needing the 10t model. The 6 tones is more than enough for 7g presses at a time and works amazingly for bubblehash too.

EsterEssence

Veteran
I have a 20 ton separate hand pump on my press and never get past 500-1000 psi or it blows out the screen or bags even the parchment so a large pump and ram are not necessary. It is the original drip tech press Sunfire made years ago when we were just trying to figure out what was needed for plate size and pressure to do the directional flow to actually make the drip tech work without blow outs or burning the material we were pressing