What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I am about to start my first Sativa grow

I

izzypog

Right now I am still finishing a grow, by the middle of this April I am going to use my tropical mix pck, it is from 2015 and has been kept safe in a cool dry place. I need to know what to expect, as my next grow after this one will be Malawi, by the way, this is all from Ace seeds. I need to know the difference between these plants and the hybrids I have grown. I am not a novice, just never have grown anything that flowers beyond two and a half months. Will the light schedule be different, i.e. will I have to have less than twelve hours of light to flower, less nutrients? General questions on new territory.

troutman

Seed Whore
Here's some of my Sativa tips: :tiphat:

1.) Give them less nutrients than Indicas as they are sensitive to overdoses.

2.) Smaller pots are the a good way to control height.

3.) You don't really need more than 14 hours of light to vegetate them.

4.) It can take 5+ weeks at 12/12 for signs of flowering to be seen. So do be patient.

M

Mr D

Malawi does fine under 12/12. I have found that Ace's descriptions and nute recommendations on there website are spot on.

The tropical mix might produce some females that would benefit from 11/13 lighting mid to late flowering.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you are growing it, whether NLD, BLD, NLH or BLH...
It is sativa...

Sativa is a Latin term that simply means "cultivated".

As for your question...
Expect to possibly have to adjust your light schedule but I don't think it's necessary as I seem to recall that Malawi is not an equatorial variety but closer to South African. If I recall correctly it was a quick variety, according to all the descriptions I've read, as well.

The Hybrids (Cherry Malawi, Cherry Berry & Bangi Haze) I've grown were all fairly quick and have finished around the end of September to the middle of October around 38N @ 7000ft.

Hope you get your answers sorted.

NLD, BLD, NLH, BLH
N=Narrow
B=Broad
L=Leaf
D=Drug type
H=Hemp type

I

izzypog

If you are growing it, whether NLD, BLD, NLH or BLH...
It is sativa...

Sativa is a Latin term that simply means "cultivated".

As for your question...
Expect to possibly have to adjust your light schedule but I don't think it's necessary as I seem to recall that Malawi is not an equatorial variety but closer to South African. If I recall correctly it was a quick variety, according to all the descriptions I've read, as well.

The Hybrids (Cherry Malawi, Cherry Berry & Bangi Haze) I've grown were all fairly quick and have finished around the end of September to the middle of October around 38N @ 7000ft.

Hope you get your answers sorted.

NLD, BLD, NLH, BLH
N=Narrow
B=Broad
L=Leaf
D=Drug type
H=Hemp type
You are quite right, the problem is when I use those terms no one seems to understand what I am talking about. I am used to hybrids, that being said, I have grown broad leaf that is almost pure. I am looking for narrow leaf that has the vibrant colors, makes everything seem surreal, that is the best way I can describe it. Although I hear Afghani broad leaf can also produce this effect as well. Thank you @MJPassion

I

izzypog

Thank you @troutman and @MrD , I was unsure about schedules, I was really curious to know that. By the way what MJPassion meant by narrow leaf and broad leaf, is that both are actual indicas, it was the change in regions, and as most know, the rapid evolution of plants, caused the variance, the effects are subjective, as what is considered indica, can have an up high instead of a sleepy effect. Same can be said for "sativas".

M

Mr D

Good luck and keep us updated on your progress.

This forum is a great resource of Ace strain and growing info so be sure to use it.

I

izzypog

Thankyou @Mr D , I very grateful for the responses, I know that these are different from the "common/commercial" market varieties. Mostly, I am finding out that not all strains are "pure", although Ace has an excellent reputation, I promise to keep everyone posted.

I

izzypog

Here's some of my Sativa tips: :tiphat:

1.) Give them less nutrients than Indicas as they are sensitive to overdoses.

2.) Smaller pots are the a good way to control height.

3.) You don't really need more than 14 hours of light to vegetate them.

4.) It can take 5+ weeks at 12/12 for signs of flowering to be seen. So do be patient.
I have been scouring this site as well as others, I found some info where someone suggests reducing from 12/12 to 11/13 and then to 10/14, doing this weekly, would this be beneficial? would five gallon smart bags be to much? I always heard that indicas are hungrier, how much is less?

troutman

Seed Whore
I have been scouring this site as well as others, I found some info where someone suggests reducing from 12/12 to 11/13 and then to 10/14, doing this weekly, would this be beneficial? would five gallon smart bags be to much? I always heard that indicas are hungrier, how much is less?

I now reduce my daylight hours weekly until I reach 12/12 and the last time I did a Sativa I went down to
11 1/2 only after they showed sex. Just know that trying to speed up flowering with less daylight hours will
cost you in overall yield. I would avoid going to 10/14 if I were you.

I

izzypog

I now reduce my daylight hours weekly until I reach 12/12 and the last time I did a Sativa I went down to
11 1/2 only after they showed sex. Just know that trying to speed up flowering with less daylight hours will
cost you in overall yield. I would avoid going to 10/14 if I were you.
Thank you for that tip @troutman, that is truly gold. I was in the school of thought going to 10/14, I will not now, I do not mind the wait, in fact, I have been waiting for almost 20 years to smoke some old school. I miss the highs that were dreamy and tranquil, surreal and psychadelic trippy.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Does this mean Indicas are "non-cultivated wild plants." :biggrin:
See below

Thank you @troutman and @MrD , I was unsure about schedules, I was really curious to know that. By the way what MJPassion meant by narrow leaf and broad leaf, is that both are actual indicas, it was the change in regions, and as most know, the rapid evolution of plants, caused the variance, the effects are subjective, as what is considered indica, can have an up high instead of a sleepy effect. Same can be said for "sativas".

Incorrect.
Indica is a region whereby a variety was discovered. Much like Malawi, Durban, Afghani, Thai, Paki, Colombian, Oaxacan, Gurrero, Nigerian, the list goes on and on... These terms only describe a region of discovery.

The term sativa literally means "cultivated", ie., planted and nurtured by mankind.
In other words, the Latin Sativa means that man had a hand in a particular plant or varieties growth and development.

Folks don't understand the terminology because the people that do understand the terminology stoop to the level of ignorance rather than educate the ignorant.

The more folks that use the correct terminology, the better understanding the cannabis community will have as a whole. :tiphat:

Now Lets get back to the ACE show.
I've a buddy that's digging the OD grown NLD Bangi Haze. Even harvested 2 seasons ago it's got some decent lemon flavors and a nice elevated high.

I

izzypog

See below

Incorrect.
Indica is a region whereby a variety was discovered. Much like Malawi, Durban, Afghani, Thai, Paki, Colombian, Oaxacan, Gurrero, Nigerian, the list goes on and on... These terms only describe a region of discovery.

The term sativa literally means "cultivated", ie., planted and nurtured by mankind.
In other words, the Latin Sativa means that man had a hand in a particular plant or varieties growth and development.

Folks don't understand the terminology because the people that do understand the terminology stoop to the level of ignorance rather than educate the ignorant.

The more folks that use the correct terminology, the better understanding the cannabis community will have as a whole. :tiphat:

Now Lets get back to the ACE show.
I've a buddy that's digging the OD grown NLD Bangi Haze. Even harvested 2 seasons ago it's got some decent lemon flavors and a nice elevated high.
Wow, does anyone actually know what cannabis actually was like before it was domesticated?
The region in which cannabis has grown has altered it's genetics, as well as cultivation by different societies. I appreciate your respect for knowledge and accuracy, yet, if you are such educated instead of hi jacking my thread like the pompous arrogant jack ass that you are, you might contemplate manners and be a little more humble.

Shooters

I run my Zamaldelica at 11.5/12.5 it seems to flower more readily and strongly with that, the rest of my tropical seeds (Ace mix like yours) I run at 11/13. I have five trop mix females running now indoors, so all my plants are getting the same daylight period. I never go below 11/13, like previously said, no benefit to it unless your are just trying to lower your electrical costs.

I

izzypog

I run my Zamaldelica at 11.5/12.5 it seems to flower more readily and strongly with that, the rest of my tropical seeds (Ace mix like yours) I run at 11/13. I have five trop mix females running now indoors, so all my plants are getting the same daylight period. I never go below 11/13, like previously said, no benefit to it unless your are just trying to lower your electrical costs.

Thank you @Shooters , What size pot should I use?

Shooters

I went with 1 gallon pots, I left them in 1gal till the second week of flower, then up-potted them to 3 gallon pots to feed them through a long flower cycle without letting them get too tall during the initial stretch that happens when first put into flower. They are at about 2-3 ft tall now, week three of flower.

M

Mr D

izzypog if you have the space I like a 3 gallon pot as well. I normally start seeds in a solo cup then transplant to a 3 gallon pot. I don't like transplanting during flowering in order to avoid possible stress. I've had great success with Roots 707 bagged soil mix. Many of Ace's strains like Malawi, Panama, Panama Haze, Tikal, Guawi, Malawi x Panama require very little nutes during veg and flower when grown in 707. So basically once I transplant from the solo cup to a 3 gallon pot I just need to water them.

A day or 2 before they going in to flower I top them to help control the stretch. I also use some supplemental Metal Halide lighting to help control the stretch.

I

izzypog

@Shooters @Mr D , I have a 4X4X7 tent, 570 actual watt LED lamp, my actual height though is only about six and a half foot, is a topping regemin feasible? I really do not like my plants to go over three and a half foot.

therevverend

Veteran
Wow, does anyone actually know what cannabis actually was like before it was domesticated?

There's still wild cannabis in Kazakhstan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pEoo1-JMxI

Ironically it's also Cannabis Sativa because the guy naming the species only knew about the cultivated type. Although it has a subspecies name, probably Cannabis Sativa Spontanea. There's a lengthy discussion in the Cannabis Origins thread in the Marijuana Strains and Breeding section if you want to read the discussion on what's really Indica, Sativa, etc.

I agree with the earlier suggestions about checking the Ace website for their information about tropical varieties. Their Malawi strain isn't as finnicky as some of their longer flowering, wilder, varieties. When I grew it I gave it a fairly regular hybrid regime, 12/12 light and medium amount of nutrients with no problems. It's a good one to start on. The Tropical Mix on the other hand, I'd play by ear. Start out with a weak seedling mix and go from there.