What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

When will small to moderate operations have a chance?

Protect vertical integration in whatever new laws arise and Mom and pop should be able to compete. It may even discourage big businesses. If you can only sell your wares to a retail outfit you’ll be fucked🎉

shaggyballs

Veteran
I want the products I buy to come from licenced establishments that have regular health inspections.
So you trust the govt. not to sell contaminated buds.
Well they already broke your trust brother.Check the news.
Also take a look at food contamination in stores and processing plants.
The govt. will not keep you safe no matter how many regulations they put on cannabis.

That is how many have been caught selling poisonous products. It's impossible to police thousands of tiny grow rooms though.
This is the reason you will not be able to self provide in the future.That is not how your shop gets it's tomato's either. There are a few large market sellers, that are easy to police, and set up long term associations with as a buyer. There are lots of people grow veg in their gardens, but you don't find it in the shops, no matter how much spare they have.
I know a ton of folks that think what we are offered on a commercial scale is all garbage and most want to grow their own.
But this will prove difficult with cannabis.

Som 2

Once we have legal international trade in cannabis, growers in developing countries will crash the market. Then it will become like growing tomatoes but the price will be so low it won't be worth it. Look into how Colombia grows cut flowers for North American florists, they will do the same with cannabis. Colombia will be able to compete with California, etc on quality, but California won't be able to compete with Colombia on price. At that point we will all just be home growers, but at least the government will stop caring about things like plant counts.

What most of us do is gardening. Under normal legal circumstances gardening will not pay someone a living. For that you need farming. Profitably farming most other crops requires hundreds of acres. In the long run I don't see how cannabis will be any different. The living that most people made from weed over the last several decades came from the fact that people were willing to break the law. Illegality was the ultimate price support. You remove it and cannabis is no different than any other specialty agricultural product like wine grapes or high end tea.

It is a hard truth that most old black market growers don't want to come to terms with. In a fully legal and open market, prices crash.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Once we have legal international trade in cannabis, growers in developing countries will crash the market. Then it will become like growing tomatoes but the price will be so low it won't be worth it. Look into how Colombia grows cut flowers for North American florists, they will do the same with cannabis. Colombia will be able to compete with California, etc on quality, but California won't be able to compete with Colombia on price. At that point we will all just be home growers, but at least the government will stop caring about things like plant counts.

What most of us do is gardening. Under normal legal circumstances gardening will not pay someone a living. For that you need farming. Profitably farming most other crops requires hundreds of acres. In the long run I don't see how cannabis will be any different. The living that most people made from weed over the last several decades came from the fact that people were willing to break the law. Illegality was the ultimate price support. You remove it and cannabis is no different than any other specialty agricultural product like wine grapes or high end tea.

It is a hard truth that most old black market growers don't want to come to terms with. In a fully legal and open market, prices crash.
I'm going to disagree with one point in particular - it requires 100's of acres to profitably farm.

There are farmers all across the US who are making a decent living wage on 2 acres or less selling organic vegetable and herb crops. There is no reason on earth anyone couldn't do the same thing with cannabis. As long as the states allow it to happen. Which isn't happening in a lot of places.

Slightly off topic but relevant - I'm really liking what I've been hearing from our new Governor on the topic of Medical and Recreational cannabis. He wants to encourage small growers to be able to make a decent living wage off of growing cannabis, and keep corporate grows out of Wisconsin. :woohoo: My dream may yet become a reality.

Medfinder

Chemon 91
In Orange county some city's still do not authorize collectives to be licenced.

So there those using the Cannabis church theme to open and post on Weedmaps... They do not let any outside vendors into there operation.

They last about a week to a month before being shuttered.

If USA goes legal?... Only those with proven patient genetics might have some action

European ..Canadian ..etc.. will leap into action when full u.s. legal Cannabis passes.

May :comfort:bie a roadside sign..Cannabis here sign might draw passer bys like fruit signs along backwood roads.

grayeyes

I believe that the current situation isn't working. What I hope happens is the same thing that happens with the distillaries. Grand operations pump out tons of product.

But there are always some fine operations that survive by producing a hugely superior product.

Did you remember to water today?

Som 2

I'm going to disagree with one point in particular - it requires 100's of acres to profitably farm.

There are farmers all across the US who are making a decent living wage on 2 acres or less selling organic vegetable and herb crops. There is no reason on earth anyone couldn't do the same thing with cannabis. As long as the states allow it to happen. Which isn't happening in a lot of places.

Slightly off topic but relevant - I'm really liking what I've been hearing from our new Governor on the topic of Medical and Recreational cannabis. He wants to encourage small growers to be able to make a decent living wage off of growing cannabis, and keep corporate grows out of Wisconsin. :woohoo: My dream may yet become a reality.
That is a fair point, I am a chef and I buy from some of those farmers. But the thing that all those farmers have in common is that they are crafty, cunning and flexible. They have a niche market and they know how to cater to it. Some small scale domestic cannabis producers will remain. It we be those who are very, very good at what they do, and also have an angle that differentiates them or a specific niche market that they hit very well. However, the era where a person can have a few 1000 watt hps lamps and use them to pay off their mortgage was never going to survive legalization.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That is a fair point, I am a chef and I buy from some of those farmers. But the thing that all those farmers have in common is that they are crafty, cunning and flexible. They have a niche market and they know how to cater to it. Some small scale domestic cannabis producers will remain. It we be those who are very, very good at what they do, and also have an angle that differentiates them or a specific niche market that they hit very well. However, the era where a person can have a few 1000 watt hps lamps and use them to pay off their mortgage was never going to survive legalization.

I see what you're saying. And I agree to an extent. What Washington state did was kind of crappy. On the other hand, what Oregon did doesn't seem to be working either.

I am cautiously optimistic about WI's proposed new law. I'd really like to find a copy of it to peruse to see how it differentiates from what Melissa Sargent proposed last year. Which has corporate greed written all over it.