What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Marijuana Is More Dangerous Than You Think

Defacto

Thank you for posting this dufous!

there are studies showing that marijuana use is a significant risk factor for violence.[/I]

This certainly must have happened around you folks a lot since it has never been the case in my experience.

otoh, one can find a study that says anything.

Emperortaima

Namekian resident/farmer
Mayor LaGuardia proved that Reefer Madness was nothing but bullshit back when Cockslinger was doing his Terrorist (FBN) shit back when ....

Dog Star

Veteran
Also about those murders they mention... cannabis is industry that brings money
and that could lead to a spike in homicides cause people kill each other cause
of money since a money exist,so from a old times human bring in self a sin..

cannabis plant is not guilty cause some of examples of Homo sapiens dont follow
rules and then cause of money they kill another person,or they still weed..,
or they rid of competition in this non-legal way..

and then they say Cannabis is guilty for everything... and doesnt look bad inside people,
when greed prevalent and they become animals cause of money..

i will love also to know how much of this deaths are caused by greed and how much
by psychotic individuals.. then we will have much more clearer picture of who is
guilty.. is it a man or cannabis plant who have bad karma..!?

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Oh well, gonna pull all my plants then. Damn, I just can not catch a break here!

Weird how I know of a non pot smoking ex cop who would repeatedly say that pot smokers were the easiest to handle in his work. The boozers and others not so much. Guess he needs to talk to these experts.

The murders going up in places. To be honest lots of violent people use drugs and if there is more drugs available in a area, well they might move there?

The fact that me and others here who smoke and see others smoking, never see a connection between smoking and getting violent or going crazy is just some random shit I guess? Experts are needed asap.

The link to mental illness is correlation at best. No proof of this psychosis from super pot that I have seen. 2% thc in the cheech and chong era according to this article. You can not get high off 2% hardly. I got high, not like OG Kush, but good and high none the less.

There was hash back then and hash oil too. If you had the bucks there was strong pot to be had. This is a hit piece imo from a somewhat right wing paper. I hate the left but the right leaves something to be desired as in this case.

I will concede that availability of very high thc smoke and edibles is much greater than before. Some caution is due I think. I do not do edibles or concentrates other than kif.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
For decades they only gave money for research if they knew the results were going to negative for pot.

Dog Star

Veteran
A critical review of the antipsychotic effects of cannabidiol: 30 years of a translational investigation.

Abstract
Δ(9)-tetrahydrocannabinol (Δ(9)-THC) is the main compound of the Cannabis Sativa responsible for most of the effects of the plant. Another major constituent is cannabidiol (CBD), formerly regarded to be devoid of pharmacological activity. However, laboratory rodents and human studies have shown that this cannabinoid is able to prevent psychotic-like symptoms induced by high doses of Δ(9)- THC. Subsequent studies have demonstrated that CBD has antipsychotic effects as observed using animal models and in healthy volunteers. Thus, this article provides a critical review of the research evaluating antipsychotic potential of this cannabinoid. CBD appears to have pharmacological profile similar to that of atypical antipsychotic drugs as seem using behavioral and neurochemical techniques in animal models. Additionally, CBD prevented human experimental psychosis and was effective in open case reports and clinical trials in patients with schizophrenia with a remarkable safety profile. Moreover, fMRI results strongly suggest that the antipsychotic effects of CBD in relation to the psychotomimetic effects of Δ(9)-THC involve the striatum and temporal cortex that have been traditionally associated with psychosis. Although the mechanisms of the antipsychotic properties are still not fully understood, we propose a hypothesis that could have a heuristic value to inspire new studies. These results support the idea that CBD may be a future therapeutic option in psychosis, in general and in schizophrenia, in particular.

This what medicine says.. its good enough for me,dont need to read Wall Street
conspiracy articles..

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
I wish we could get some real answers to the benefits and dangers of cannabis use other than all of this bullshit they want to dump into peoples heads. Crap data like this helps no one.

Betterhaff

Veteran
When I was in high school, there were the stoners and the drunks and some that dabbled in both. Most of the trouble and fights came from the drunks’ side. Ha, that was a long time ago, lol.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
drunk guy: 'C'mon then you cowardly cur - FIGHT!'

stoned guy: ' Ehhh - no, not today matey - I'm out of training and on a break from the ultra-violence for a while - besides I'm nicely stoned on some of this bush and the thought of hurting my knuckles on your face is too emotional for me right now - and I might upset myself if I continue with that train of thought.

drunk guy takes a swing at stoned guy and misses -

stoned guy, walks away saying; 'You had best keep practicing, and find someone to spar with - practice makes perfect'

-drunk guy tries to run after stoned guy - falls over and bangs his head quite badly-

stoned guy calls and waits with drunk guy till the ambulance shows up.

*moral of the story? - I'd rather be stoned guy.

OregonBorn

Yes, lets bring out the old Reefer Madness film, or better, lets do a remake of it!

What a bunch of complete CRAP! From the same people that brought you marijuana prohibition for over 100 years (in California it was banned in 1910, in Mexico, 1920). Similar conclusions can be made about hamburgers being bad. Most bank robbers eat fast food hamburgers before a heist. So there must be a link there, right? So lets ban hamburgers! Eat more chicken!

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Oh he's selling a book? So the WSJ is his advertising platform? I wonder how much Simon & Schuster payed for that privilege lmao.

therevverend

Veteran
Also about those murders they mention... cannabis is industry that brings money
and that could lead to a spike in homicides cause people kill each other cause
of money since a money exist,so from a old times human bring in self a sin..

No at least as far as Washington state there haven't been any murders connected to the cannabis industry. In my area a bud tender was shot in a hold up but he didn't die. The thieves ran off with some edibles, dropped some of them, came back for them, then ran off again. All on camera.

The upswing in murders in Washington has been gang violence unrelated to cannabis. Near where I live there was a drive by by high school gang members in broad daylight, opened up on a guy walking down the sidewalk. Missed him but a stray bullet hit and murdered a woman working in a flower shop across the street. Two 17 year old kids were arrested. It's senseless stupid shit.

A guy I know's friend got murdered over a $700 debt. I mean, they owe him $700 so they shoot him. Teenagers. Of course many of the people involved most likely have THC in their system because young hoodlums enjoy cannabis. They also enjoy tobacco and cheeseburgers. Young people have been forming gangs and killing each other for a long time.

This also applies to Reefer Madness in the 1930s and '40s poor Mexican youth forming gangs. Let's ban zoot suits and cannabis not poverty, violence, oppression, and lack of a future or possibility of a better life. I'd also expect cocaine and the $ involved with it to be a much bigger motivator of violence then cannabis. Jamaica is a sad example of that.

Dog Star

Veteran
Yes Rev... thats what i also think personaly.. sin is inside humans,not inside cannabis
or any other plant and animal.. people need to be consciouss but they choose to run
amok around..

then later on police they say they smoked cannabis and by defoult a cannabis is
guilty.. while thruth is opposite and they are simply unresponsible individues
that will made bad things no matter on cannabis or anything else..

EagleWolf

"...included information from 28,265 homicide offenders across nine countries. On average, 48% of homicide offenders were reportedly under the influence of alcohol at the time of the offense..."

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1088767913493629

That's nearly HALF of all murders, someone was using alcohol... As a psychotherapist, I think I can say marijuana induced psychosis is a complete fabrication. Being truly drunk is pretty darn close to a psychotic breakdown. Weed's a neuroprotectant, anti-inflammatory medicine for your brain that, dude just pointed out, actually functions a whole lot like the newer atypical antipsychotics. Cannabis combats a whole slew of issues related to mental health, with many of them simply coming from the modern way of life/diet, alcohol is just one piece of that puzzle. Sooo many things I could go on about... It seems like the one thing to help society is demonized because the current state of affairs was carefully arranged in favor of a few people. I sincerely doubt those few people eat or drink any of the same things the rest of us do, and they probably got some good weed too.

soil margin

Veteran
Is this the same reporter?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/04/...l?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

The wave toward legalization ignores the serious health risks of marijuana.

By Alex Berenson
Mr. Berenson is the author of a forthcoming book on marijuana use.

Yeah it's the same guy. He's been writing novels for the past 10 years about paranoid government agents and secret spies. Somehow he decided to get into non-fiction and instantly turned into a professional on the science of cannabis and knows more than the majority of the world's experts.

Katsu

Veteran
What a fucking wanker! Reminds me of Jessica Simpson and the whole "anti-vaccine" crusade

MintyMick

I guess I have to stop smoking now that I’ve read that article. Lol. Not going to happen.

As someone who has had four family members killed by drunk drivers, I would agree with everyone who says alchohol makes people more prone to violence...because when I am high the only thing I am going to murder would be a bag of chips.

Cannabis is medicine. Maybe not for paranoid schizophrenics, but other than that .5% of the population it helps with a myriad of problems.

In short, the Wall Street Journal can suck it, along with their paid, self serving so called journalism.